Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: h4d vs h5d  (Read 3983 times)

orc73

h4d vs h5d
« on: January 05, 2016, 12:18:37 pm »

hello

who worked with both systems?
Did they improve on quality?
h4d screen is a joke, firewire unreliable(at least with thunderbolt adapter), camera had problems many time out of nothing. all things the 645z seems to solve(and bring other issues of course)

best regards

Joe Towner

Re: h4d vs h5d
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:21:34 pm »

There are improvements in the H5 series, but the screen isn't one of them.  Firewire via Thunderbolt is an issue no matter which camera or back, but you can change it to pull from the battery while tethered (page 28 & 69 http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11/H5D-User-Manual-EN-v11.pdf ).  The Sony battery adapter for the H5 exists, unlike the H4 version that was promised.

My H4D-50 is at 40k without an issue - what problems are you referencing?
t: @PNWMF

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:54 am »

I've worked with both systems, and the H5D brought some great improvements (I now have an H5D-50). Yes, the screen isn't as good as a Canon/Nikon screen, but I wouldn't call it a joke. On the H5D, with a quick button press you can automatically zoom in to the point of focus to check sharpness. It works very well. Can you get to a dealer / retailer and see this for yourself?

As Joe says, you should set the camera to draw power from the battery when tethering via Thunderbolt adapter. I've been using the H system for years, and tethering has always been rock solid. Not sure what other problems you're referencing, but my H cameras have been very reliable. And I love the quality.

Here's a list of improvements that came with the H5D (from https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/):

*True Focus II – adds knowledge of and compensation for lens curvature

*In-Camera JPG – provides 10MP/12MP/15MP JPG for H4D-40/50/60 In-Camera

*New Buttons & Top LED Display – improved ergonomically and better weather/dust sealing

*Enhanced Style & Look – I like it, it reminds me of the Retina model MBP. To me, it looks Apple inspired, a very good thing.

*Immediate Focus Confirmation – zoom 100% with one press to the exact point of focus without scrolling.

*New Battery Grip – more ergonomic, roughly same power output on H5D as on previous models, but provides 50% more power on previous HxD models

*New reinforced CF Card Door – much more secure and firm.

*New secure locking firewire port – reinforced, more secure, less stress on connector.

*New GUI for LCD & LED Interfaces – allows further control of LCD from the LED interface.

*Dedicated Profiles Button – upload and share custom user work-sets from camera to camera

(Also, as Joe says, now you can power the back from a small, attached Sony battery when using the back on a technical camera.)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:24:25 pm by epines »

NickT

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:45:15 pm »

Like Ethan my tethering with an H4D and FW/Thunderbolt adaptor is rock solid. IOW there's not a tethering issue with all H4D's.

Nick-T

orc73

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »

my h4d-40 system did hang many times. the only way to get out of it was to completely disassemble the camera and hope it will come back to life.
no one at hasselblad considered it being a problem. it happened each tine i tethered in the field. the firewire is a sensitive protocol, and the thunderbolt adapter too. not a good combination.

and the screen IS a joke. Most cheap phones have a better screen.

selling firewire and such a screen in units costing more then 10k - I really feel bad to support such savings in engineering.

YES hasselblad produces beautifull files, has nice lenses and trufocus rocks.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:00:55 am »

my h4d-40 system did hang many times. the only way to get out of it was to completely disassemble the camera and hope it will come back to life.
no one at hasselblad considered it being a problem. it happened each tine i tethered in the field. the firewire is a sensitive protocol, and the thunderbolt adapter too. not a good combination.

Here are possible solutions:

1) Use the actual Hasselblad-brand firewire 800 cable (supplied by Hasselblad with the camera, or here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980523-REG/hasselblad_3054165_firewire_grey_cable_hxd_cfv.html).
I don't know why, but it's much better. I've been told this by multiple digital techs, and I've experienced it myself. Maintains a much better connection than other FW cables.

2) If #1 doesn't do the trick, use a powered firewire hub (with its own plug -- plugs into a wall outlet). I also learned this from a digital tech. Over the years Apple (and probably other computer makers as well) has changed some of the specs and power that comes through the firewire port. Powered firewire hub helps tremendously.

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 04:18:27 am »

Just in case: if the camera does this regularly, it is worth cleaning the contacts between back, viewfinder, lens and camera. Often it solves the problem. Use a Q-tip and some contact spray (or alcohol, or even window cleaning fluid if that is what you have).

orc73

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »

thanks!

i did use the original cable, and it happened with the camera from new.
I sold it in the meantime and explained it to the buyer. He tested it on his laptop together with me, the problem occured 2-3 times during the test. still, he bought it and is happy with the results.

i can not have this happen with customers paying a lot for studio and staff and think why I can not have the decency to buy a proper camera(while i spend a huge amount of money on it).

And even with the 50c they came up with the same old tech.
very disappointed.

I decided not to invest in their products for now.
50mm hcii and a 2900 battery still available for sell in excelent condition, pm me.
50mm hc

NickT

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:46:30 pm »

I totally agree, having a camera hang like that is unacceptable especially when clients are around. I was just pointing out the my H4D40 (and the 4 or so others before that) have always tethered rock solid (oh except for a long time ago running Phocus alphas).

I shoot to either a 27" iMac or an older 1st gen unibody laptop on location. I run TB>FW adaptor to a Granite Digital 10M FW cable (the one with the ferrite conditioner things) to an unpowered hub and then a 60cm FW cable to the camera (Mainly to reduce stress on the cameras FW port). My set up is rock solid, all day every day.

(I've probably cursed it know and something will fail tomorrow).
Pages: [1]   Go Up