Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Monitor (Eizo CE240W) Uniformity?  (Read 5359 times)

dbk123

LCD Monitor (Eizo CE240W) Uniformity?
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:42:41 am »

Just got an Eizo 204W.  The colors are very nice, but I notice that images are a bit brighter (particularly dark background areas) on the left edge of the panel than the reminder - even when I shift my head to that side to account for viewing angle effects.  

I am trying to determine if my display is defective or if this is just the nature of these larger LCD panels.  I would appreciate any thoughts or information on whether this can be corrected via calibration.

Thanks,

dbk123

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03:57 am »

Holy Cow!!!

I just returned the CE240W for the EXACT same issue!  I was hoping this monitor would answer my dissapointment with the 23" cinema display.  I thought the left side brightness issue would be just on my monitor.  Across the entire screen there is a dramatic difference in shadow density by moving my head off axis.  For this reason I did not get a replacement, feeling it was a design issue.  The most dramatic example I could find was to make a full screen gradient from white to black in Photoshop ( to test those smooth gradations).  From left of axis there is a nice gradient.  From the right it totally collapses to a black and white screen.  It is pretty unusual looking that the black tone a white tone are not affected... just the midtone to dark grays.

I am now going to buy the NEC 2180UX.

Eric

dbk123

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:35:06 am »

Eric,

This is a bit disturbing.  I will try the gradient test on mine and see how things look. The problem on mine is pretty subtle and I think I could live with - it's just a disappointment on an expensive monitor.

I am curious if you got your monitor through Chromix and if the return process was a hassle.

Thanks,

-DBK

Holy Cow!!!

I just returned the CE240W for the EXACT same issue!  I was hoping this monitor would answer my dissapointment with the 23" cinema display.  I thought the left side brightness issue would be just on my monitor.  Across the entire screen there is a dramatic difference in shadow density by moving my head off axis.  For this reason I did not get a replacement, feeling it was a design issue.  The most dramatic example I could find was to make a full screen gradient from white to black in Photoshop ( to test those smooth gradations).  From left of axis there is a nice gradient.  From the right it totally collapses to a black and white screen.  It is pretty unusual looking that the black tone a white tone are not affected... just the midtone to dark grays.

I am now going to buy the NEC 2180UX.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

charlie-ll

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:19:50 am »

Hello guys,

we have two EIZO S2410W-s over here, and they suffer the same problem.  S2410W seems to be more-or-less the same model as CE240W.  The left part of the display is noticeably brighter, and in fact it is progressively more brighter towards the left edge.  Proper calibration improved the situation a little bit, but it is still far from ideal.  We normally calibrate to 5000 K but the brightness problem seems to be more visible at that colour temperature.  Now, we have them calibrated to 6500 K.

I also tried the gradient image, and there is clearly some design problem with this monitor.  The gradient looks somewhat more compressed in the right part of the screen, but the "compression pattern" is more like a wave across the screen.  Very odd for a not particularly cheap screen.  We expected to buy several more of these displays, but the purchases are on hold, while we are looking at other alternatives.  On paper they looked like the perfect replacement for our aging EIZO CRTs, which we run in dual-head mode.

Karol
Pages: [1]   Go Up