Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does it take to print on metal?  (Read 994 times)

Utah

What does it take to print on metal?
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:46 pm »

I've been looking at the offerings from Bay Photo Lab (and others) regarding metal prints. Does anyone here have experience producing these types of prints?
Special Printer? Characteristics and sources of the media? I confess that everything in my home is now stainless steel and would look even better with my prized pictures emblazoned thereon.there on (is that two words or one?---I digress). Sock it to me.

wnichols

• Irvine Headshot Photographer
Re: What does it take to print on metal?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:26:42 am »

Quick couple answers for you:

1:  Printing on some medium and mounting it to metal
2: Prep your metal surface (sanding, other), print your image on transparency film.  Coat your metal surface with something like Purel (you are doing an alcohol based transfer) and apply the transparency, wait X amount of time and remove carefully.
3:  Use something like Dass Supersauce, or InkAid - print onto a transfer film, follow their direction.  Bonny Lhotka is a great teacher, if you go to DassArt you can get up to speed pretty quick.  You want to have a pigment based inkjet to be successful with these methods (2 and 3)

stcstc31

Re: What does it take to print on metal?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:55 am »

i think you will find they are using chromaluxe panels

its a polyester coated aluminium

its a dye sublimation print process, print using special inks, and heat press transfer to the panel
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up