Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Zd  (Read 7356 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya Zd
« on: April 24, 2006, 09:30:17 pm »

Hi
I have used the Zd on assignments twice in the last couple of weeks. I have been happy with the quailty of the files. I was wondering about the upgrade to the software Feb 17/2206 has anyone used it. I was also asking if Silkypix is a better raw converter to? I am happy with the Tiffs at the moment I still have time to process the raw files with another converter for this job. I am processing the files again with the new upgrade to the Mamiya software.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

valenza

Mamiya Zd
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:48:58 am »

Hi Denis,

Version 1.1.0 of MDPS generates a bit smoother images than earlier versions, but only just. It may be a matter of taste actually. If you're happy with the appearance of your images concerning sharpness, I would not recommand you to upgrade to version 1.1.0. A new update is expected soon.
SilkyPix has some advantages over the current version of MDPS. It allows you to fine-tune all possible parameters on a more advances level. For examle, it allows you to control noise and sharpness very precise. It is also a bit quicker in rendering a high-resolution preview. The differences in image quality between SilkyPix and MDPS in general are very little. I would recommend you to download a free trail of SilkyPix.
A third option for converting your MEF images is Adobe Camera Raw (version 3.3 on Photoshop CS2). It fast and straight-forward to use, but the downside is that colors (white balance) may be a bit harder to control.

I hope this helped you,
Yours,
Valenza

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
Mamiya Zd
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:01:54 am »

Hi,
I use mamiya software for normal daily use, but for high iso photos (200-400) I have found camera Raw to be faaar better in getting detail without noise; if the photo is processed with Noise Ninja afterwards, the results are one step ahead from Mamiya Soft or Silkypix. I haven´t been able to make bridge work with mef files but I think it's a problem of mine installing camera raw 3.3 and 3.4. BTW, I had the idea to convert .mef files to DNG, becasue I though it was a "universal" format and that I could try to process them with any other raw converters; what was my surprise when I discovered that DNG are also camera specific, and that, as an example, I can open DNG from a Canon on RawShooter but not from the mamiya. Then what's the point in converting files to DNG???. I  think I will stick with Mamiya Software and ACR. One question, Is there any Mamiya user who knows how to change metadata in mef files? Is it possible?.

Thanks

Arnau
---------------------------------------

mcfoto

Mamiya Zd
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:26 pm »

Quote from: valenza,Apr 25 2006, 08:48 AM
Hi Denis,

Version 1.1.0 of MDPS generates a bit smoother images than earlier versions, but only just. It may be a matter of taste actually. If you're happy with the appearance of your images concerning sharpness, I would not recommand you to upgrade to version 1.1.0. A new update is expected soon.

Hi
Just did an advertizing job a few days ago. We shot with the Aptus 22 on both the Mamiya and Hasselblad H1 plus I compared the ZD with the same lense (150mm) to my Mamiya 645 AFDII/ Aptus 22. The Leaf files were processed in their software and the Zd in the latest version. The result the Aptus was sharper only just. I sharpened the Zd file by 40%/radius 1.0.( to match the Aptus 22 file). They were both shot at iso 50 and after sharpening there wasn't much difference between the files. I will have to try Silkpix for the ZD plus Raw developer will be coming out with a version supporting the Zd soon.
   i also compared the Mamiya 150mm lense vrs the Hasselblad 150mm lense as both were shot with the Aptus 22. The result was a slight edge to the Mamiya in sharpness plus the Mamiya was slightly smoother.They were very close.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

mcfoto

Mamiya Zd
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 05:25:56 am »

HI

Try using www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html as they have just released their new version for the ZD. i have down loaded the new version and it has a really nice file quality but it is a little flat. Sharpness is much better than the 2nd version of Mamiya ZD software. The sharpness is the same as the Aptus 22 with version 8.3 with the same lense 150mm and lighting. It just came out today and I will send them some RAW files with a colour checker.
Thanks Denis Montalbetti
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
Mamiya Zd
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:56:10 am »

Quote from: mcfoto,May 18 2006, 04:25 AM
HI

Hi

On another note, do you know if the sandisc extremeiii 4gig cf card will work with the zd? Or any other 4gig card for that matter?

thanks ivan

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
Mamiya Zd
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 05:55:32 am »

Quote from: ivan muller,May 22 2006, 08:56 AM
Quote from: mcfoto,May 18 2006, 04:25 AM
HI

Hi

On another note, do you know if the sandisc extremeiii 4gig cf card will work with the zd? Or any other 4gig card for that matter?

thanks ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66249\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bought an A-data myflash card 4gb on ebay 100$, they claim to be 150x, they are fine to shoot but the Mamiya gives a problem to format it. I still have to fully test it, I don't know about the extreme III. I think that all 4gb sd cards are made with the same samsung chip, despite the ugly rose label A-data ones they have on.

As for velocity test, I can only compare it to my 1gb sandisk ultra II; in camera writing is the same more or less, reading is a little more fast (an image is displayed on screen about a sec before the sandisk). Copying to the computer is another history, example: copying 4 files (36mbx4) takes 22 sec with sandisk and 6 sec with the sd, about 3-4x times faster, the differenci is obious. I have used the same card reader with both +but here we would enter in card reader differences

Another note is that mamiya formats its cards with Fat, and it reads Fat32 but depending on the program you have used. As an example it doesn't recognize Windows OS format but it does with Lexar Image Rescue...don't ask me why, they both are Fat32.

Regards.

Arnau
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:59:44 pm by Pantoned »
---------------------------------------

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
Mamiya Zd
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:25:27 am »

thanks for the info
Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up