Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does synchronization mean?  (Read 2767 times)

Cornfield

What does synchronization mean?
« on: January 03, 2016, 08:35:36 am »

The title refers to synchronization of keywords in Lightroom.

Lightroom does not follow a logical definition of synchronization.  If I want to remove a keyword from a batch of files, I would delete it from the first file and they synchronize the full set of files.  However, Lightroom does not work like this.  Keywords can be added by synchronization but not deleted.  Why does the app work like this?

A simple definition of synchronization as applied in computing: Process of making two or more data storage devices or programs having exactly the same information at a given time.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: What does synchronization mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:54:57 am »

Lightroom behaves differently depending on whether you have selected images in grid view or if you have one image in the main area in "loupe view", and it sounds like this is your problem. If you select the images in grid view, a change applies to them all. If you are in loupe view, the change applies to it alone (unless you switch Library to AutoSync mode). It's generally easier to fiddle with keywords in grid view.

Lightroom use synchronize in more than one context, so it's better to ask specific "how to" questions or say which buttons you are pressing.

Cornfield

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:18:13 am »

Lightroom DOES NOT remove any deleted keywords when done in Grid or Loupe view.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:51:53 am »

Depends how you do it. Sorry, you are going to have to be specific and say exactly what you are doing. So in which panel are you working, Keyword List or Keywording? In these panels, it works as I said before, and means you don't need Sync Metadata. In the Synchronize Metadata dialog, have you checked Keywording at the bottom? Again, it matters whether you are in grid or loupe.

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:48:35 am »

1. I have four files from a shoot in Library module.

2. Apply keywords to the first file.

3. Select all four files, use the Sync Metadata button and confirm Keywords is ticked in the dialog box and press Synchronize button.  All files have the same keywords.

4. I then delete one of the keywords from the first file and sync again as above.  Result, no change to the three files keywords.

5. If I add a keyword and sync as above.  Result, the new keyword is added.

This is not a logical application of synchronization.  Synchronize should mean all files have exactly the same information.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:59:56 pm »

I tested, and don't get that behaviour in step 4. Synchronize does make the keywords identical.

Are you absolutely sure the first file remains "most selected" (lighter frame area)?

Under the Metadata menu, is Show Metadata for Target Photo Only checked? In general, it shouldn't be.

As a suggestion, at step 2 stay in grid view (or switch on AutoSync button) and select all the photos. Keywords then automatically apply to all selected items, so you don't need to sync.

Cornfield

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:44:41 pm »

The first file is the most selected.  Target Photo Only is not checked.

The AutoSync also fails to remove a keyword deleted from the first (most selected).

I have checked this behaviour on my other two LR installs and both behave exactly as described.

I'm going to follow a thread I have seen on an Adobe site to clarify this issue.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:11 am »

If you are trying to sync keywords among a group of files, doesn't just selecting them all the in grid and then modifying the keyword list make the changes?  If you delete a keyword there, it's deleted from any files that contain the keyword, if  you add one there it's added to all the files.

I've never used sync to manage this, always just edited the keywords themselves with a group selected in the grid.

Lustrous

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:37 pm »

Working with Selected Files, In the Keyword LIST panel-

1. Click mouse in box next to keyword to add this keyword.

2. Click mouse in box (with the tick) to remove this Keyword.

3. When only 'SOME' of the selected files have this Keyword- a [-] appears in the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up