Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What Does LuLu Want To Be When She Grows Up  (Read 11793 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: What Does LuLu Want To Be When She Grows Up
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 07:55:06 pm »

And, with respect, it's borderline insulting to assume that I don't know what I'm talking about...

That's not what I said or implied. I said that offering unsolicited advice how to run a business is in itself borderline insulting. Besides, you are not really offering any useful advice. You are at best bitching and moaning about how they run their business.

amolitor

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 08:02:06 pm »

Huh?

I offered very specific advice. It's not particularly original advice, mind you. 'Find your unique value proposition, your differentiators, and press then as hard as possible' is pretty much business 101.

But I did detail a couple of areas where I think the Lula team can bring that unique value proposition, and to a good degree already are.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »

Thanks, corrected.

Aw man, that was brilliant Slobodan - I was paying you the highest compliment bro, heh yeah, heh heh.

Quoterback!  You need to go and change it back.

Happy accident!

:-)
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 08:28:41 pm »

... 'Find your unique value proposition, your differentiators, and press then as hard as possible' is pretty much business 101...

So much so that it has become a truism, i.e., says nothing new or interesting.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 08:29:59 pm »

Aw man, that was brilliant Slobodan - I was paying you the highest compliment bro, heh yeah, heh heh.

Quoterback!  You need to go and change it back...

Had I have Isaac in mind...  ;)

amolitor

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:50 pm »

Except that the front page, the thing people are expected to pay for, does not show any sign that the truism, the thing so obvious we needn't even mention it, is being heeded.

Which is why I started this thread in there first place, obviously.

I see a pretty even mixture of mildly differentiated content, and petapixel-grade filler. Do you see something different?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:36 pm »

Andrew, I appreciate your comments.  The business model for Luminous-Landscape is our business and no one else's.  We operate our business and design our website the way we see fit.  Our goal always has been and will continue to be to share our passion with fellow photographers. I hope you and our readers see some of the differential you mention with a number of projects underway and planned for 2016.   

You seem to have issue with our content.  That's fine, as with other things in life if you don't like it then ignore it.  Some content will be relevant to you and some won't.  We get your point.  For many though we provide good material and information. There are many contributors that have worked hard to provide good articles and essays and we appreciate that as we would hope others would. These contributors feel the same way we do and freely share their experience and knowledge.  If this content doesn't fit the standard that you feel it should then I invite you to contribute an article for review and possible publication. It would be good to see some of your images with the article too.  And, possibly you'd consider like some others being a regular contributor. 

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 09:41:16 pm »

Recipes are good for cooking. Much less so in business and life. Saying something like "find your unique proposition..." is like saying to someone: "find what makes you happy and go for it." Well, duh!

amolitor

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 10:01:14 pm »

I appreciate the offer, Kevin, genuinely, and I thought about it for a moment before throttling the impulse. I have far more than I can handle writing for myself and my own little audiences in some other areas, already.

To be honest, I can't tell if you're gently asking me to drop it or not, so I will adopt the conservative approach.

Slobodan if you'd like to continue to discuss management consulting, you have my email address, and you know I'd be charmed to argue with you. Alas, we shall have to each supply our own drinks, rather than more properly buying the other fellow's.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 01:40:24 am »

Author of Intermediate Photography. "The most important book on photography written in the last 123 years"

Hum...so when is your book coming out in print? And exactly who claimed your book is "The most important book on photography written in the last 123 year".

Asking to find out (and maybe give some shyte your way).

Look forward to you posting critiques of some of my upcoming articles I plan on doing in 2016.

Ya might want to be a bit more careful shitting on follow authors. Alain has a lot more books published than you do. I wonder why? Heck, I have more books published than you do. Course, mine aren't "The most important book on photography written in the last 123 year" although some people seem to like them as modern day replacements for Ansel's The Negative and The Print.

You really want to try to measure your dick length?

LuLa is doing fine trying to provide content to all levels of users. You just aim at "intermediate" users (based on your title)...

So, do you wanna keep playing?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 05:11:32 am »

Honestly it has to be too early to really evaluate Lula's offerings behind a pay wall. The cost is not an issue as has been stated over and over. What is an issue is the quality of the articles in terms of the time taken to read/watch them. If the articles don't educate, provoke or entertain they will be a waste of time. Can really never be a waste of money at current cost.

I am optimistic. I don't like all the contributors styles of writing or presenting and and I don't like all the photography. It doesn't take much effort to learn from stuff you don't like. It takes no effort to learn from the stuff you do like.

Very pleased to hear Schewe will be contributing. Grumpy old git but his books are great. His forum contributions always cheer me up.

I will buy Andrew's book on kindle while I'm at it. Looks interesting. Even though I'm actually really very super duper awfully advanced.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 05:30:37 am »

I have far more than I can handle writing for myself and my own little audiences in some other areas, already.
Are you working on your next book? Maybe you should consider writing "Intermediate e-business, the most important book on running a payed website in 123 years"   8)

Btw, I find all the current content of LuLa pretty grown up and more then worth the subscription fee. The promise of new stuff only makes it more attractive. Not that I like or can use everything published here, but I guess that's true for all subscribers.
pieter, aka pegelli

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 05:32:53 am »

Are you working on your next book? Maybe you should consider writing "Intermediate e-business, the most important book on running a payed website in 123 years"   8)

Yeah, no, I pass...no further comment.

Jeff Griffin

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:05 am »

Whatever LL wants to be,  keeping up the content & quality of the Video Journals is going to be a challenge which I am certain " The Team "  will no doubt  achieve.

I have enjoyed and learnt so much watching them over the Christmas / New Year holiday period  I will re-watch, probably all of them,  again.  :)

jeremyrh

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 07:57:20 am »

Yeah, no, I pass...no further comment.

Maybe look up "self irony" before commenting?

jeremyrh

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 08:01:52 am »

Andrew, I appreciate your comments.  The business model for Luminous-Landscape is our business and no one else's.  We operate our business and design our website the way we see fit.  Our goal always has been and will continue to be to share our passion with fellow photographers. I hope you and our readers see some of the differential you mention with a number of projects underway and planned for 2016.   

You seem to have issue with our content.  That's fine, as with other things in life if you don't like it then ignore it.  Some content will be relevant to you and some won't.  We get your point.  For many though we provide good material and information. There are many contributors that have worked hard to provide good articles and essays and we appreciate that as we would hope others would. These contributors feel the same way we do and freely share their experience and knowledge.  If this content doesn't fit the standard that you feel it should then I invite you to contribute an article for review and possible publication. It would be good to see some of your images with the article too.  And, possibly you'd consider like some others being a regular contributor.

I think you've missed the point of Andy's post. As I read it, it is not so much about what he personally likes, as about what would form the basis of a successful business. He is perfectly aware, I am sure, that he can ignore what he doesn't like. Again, the point is, are there thousands of people who will do otherwise? Maybe you already know the answer. If you don't, I guess you soon will.

amolitor

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 08:45:07 am »

I am astounded when, occasionally, people do not understand that my signature line is a joke. The quote is ridiculous and is unattributed because nobody ever said such a ridiculous thing. I am poking a little fun with it.

My photography book will not be coming out in print. That wasn't the point of writing it.

I am in fact writing other books, but they have nothing to do with photography.

michael

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 09:41:49 am »

I think you've missed the point of Andy's post. As I read it, it is not so much about what he personally likes, as about what would form the basis of a successful business. He is perfectly aware, I am sure, that he can ignore what he doesn't like. Again, the point is, are there thousands of people who will do otherwise? Maybe you already know the answer. If you don't, I guess you soon will.

This thread deserves to just fade away, but I'll risk adding one comment to those who are second guessing our business model.

Firstly, between Kevin, Chis and me we have some 100+ years of real-world business experience...not just running web sites. This includes founding and building at least three publicly listed technology companies; one of the world's biggest labs, and being senior executives at major corporations in the imaging and communications business. We may not be among the smartest, but we're far from the dumbest.

Our move to a pay model was the result of long and serious analysis of the rapidly changing nature of the web model. After running LuLa for some 17 years, we know a thing or two about how these things work, how they used to work, how they work now, and how they're likely to work in future. We're betting the ranch on that.

Though the pay model is only a couple of weeks old it isn't too soon to say that it is meeting our highest expectation. Customer feedback is excellent (with a few notable exceptions, of course), and take-up rate in well above forecast.

So... we're as excited about the future of this site as we can be. We see our new ideas starting to come to fruition and we believe that LuLa will continue on its new evolutionary path and become stronger and with greater and wider appeal. We may stumble along the way, but so many people seem to be rooting for us (and we DO listen), that I'm confident that the months ahead will prove our plans to have been worthwhile.

Michael

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:35 am »

I rarely press a shutter button, but when I do, it's awesome.
He's a legend in his own mind. :o
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:45:48 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peter McLennan

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 12:04:41 pm »

I am astounded when, occasionally, people do not understand that my signature line is a joke.

I didn't.  I read it and took it at face value.

Thanks to Shewe for asking for attribution, saving me the effort. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up