Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What Does LuLu Want To Be When She Grows Up  (Read 11782 times)

amolitor

What Does LuLu Want To Be When She Grows Up
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:51 am »

LuLa's a pay site now, and it certainly appears that the principals want to make it a business. There's some ads and things generating money, probably less and less of it as the water of the internet fills with blood. There's followon business in workshops. Evidently these are not adequate, and the decision was made to add a $12/year fee for the front page content.

None of this is news, of course. It feels to me like the site needs to pull several thousand subscribers for this to make sense, though. 10,000 subscribers might even be enough to operate LuLa as a sort of part-time business. Given the other revenue streams, let's throw 5,000 out there as a sort of back-of-the-envelope target.

That's 5,000 subscribers, parting with filthy lucre. A couple dozen blustery loyalists isn't pulling the train. This isn't a charity project funded by a cadre of the Michael's personal pals. This is pretty real.

What I'm seeing on the front page is pretty mixed.

Tutorials for beginners to panorama stitching and articles about how the best camera is the one with the most pixels, that's non Canon? This is commodity content. I can find this by the double handful on the internet. As the market is wont to do, it has set a price for commodity photographic content, and that price is not $12/year. It is Zero Dollars.

This leaves content that is distinctive and interesting, that is specific to LuLa, that is unique.

The stuff on print has some promise. There's plenty of stuff out there on printing, but it's haphazard and I suspect mostly wrong. So, there's an opportunity here.

Access to interesting people. The videos with Mr. Neil have promise. Again, an opportunity here, to use the LuLa team's personal connections and reputations to get this kind of access, and turn it in to distinctive interesting content.

The urge to turn this kind of distinctive and interesting content into Tutorials For Beginners, into Ten Quick Tips, needs to be fought. One might say "well, we need to make our content broadly accessible" but in reality what you're doing is converting distinctive and unique content, valuable content, into that same Zero Dollar Valued commodity content.

5,000 subscribers, even 50,000 subscribers, is a real market, a real business. But it's not that big. It's a niche. LuLa can afford to be kind of nichey in content. You needn't try to compete with PetaPixel, and to try is a terrible idea. There's already a PetaPixel.

AreBee

Re: What Does LuLu Want To Be When She Grows Up
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 11:24:12 am »

Andrew,

What Does LuLu Want To Be When She Grows Up

A singer?

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »

I've been pretty disappointed in the content on LuLa for the better part of the last two years; it seems to be in content stagnation. For a quite while, it seemed that the only new postings were announcements hawking workshops; something that would be more appropriate as a notice in a sidebar. Regarding workshops, it would nice to have one that most folks could afford to travel to, rather than Iceland, Antarctica, West Australia, Iceland, Antarctica, Antarctica, Iceland. Guess there's not as much margin in domestic workshops.

Michael hardly does any writing anymore, and there has not been a worthwhile set of the videos for quite a long time (the Lightroom and Capture One vids of 2012/2013 were very good).

I'm willing to pay $1 a month for access, it's a very reasonable price, but I sincerely hope there is better content than has been present over the last two years. You only have to look at what Tomash Trzebiatkowski has done at Fuji Love in one year to see where things could be.

I'll hang in for a while, but only for a while,  I've been disappointed in the lack of substantive content for two years now. I even contacted Kevin about writing for the site, but after an initial correspondence (with me sending him some suggestions on content), I never heard back.

paulbk

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 01:54:20 pm »

Amazed at the "value equation" some people apply to a cost of $0.25 a week.
(actually it's less than 25¢ per week)
paul b.k.
New England, USA

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 03:06:04 pm »

I'm happy to contribute my 6 espressos/year to help host the forum, which is a fabulous resource.... even if I only look at about 10% of the topics.
I was going to say that nothing much on the front page interests me, but that's not true... maybe about 10% there, too. So that's fine.

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 03:14:07 pm »

Who the fuck is LuLu?

This is LuLu... my dog, of course.  And she'll bite you for talking like that!  ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 03:36:06 pm »

LuLa's a pay site now, and it certainly appears that the principals want to make it a business.

Sheesh, go take some photos or eat a bran muffin or have a drink. I think that $12 a year for LuLa is a great bargain. Cripes, I lose more than $12 in change every year!

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »

Twelve bucks a year is not a lot of money, no. And if you like Michael and Chris and Kevin and want to help them out, it's basically nothing.

But this place isn't a charity, it is a business. It is a business competing in a brutal market, where the default price for everything is free.

Consider the 4728 people of the target 5000 who do not consider themselves to have a personal relationship with one of the principals. Indeed, consider the friends of Michael, who have wives who watch the budget:

'What is this charge?'
'Are you getting value from it out is it just because you like Kevin?'
'So we can cancel it, right?'

The friends and family will silently drop away too, over the years, if the content continues to be essentially the same as everyone else's free stuff. Things are a little tight this year. We change credit cards. One of a thousand other reasons and we just never get around to signing up anew, because the content just wasn't that compelling.

You can't run a business just chucking up 'whatever' on a web site and pricing it real low.

EDIT: I find it telling that the two major positions here seem to be "the content just isn't compelling" versus "twelve bucks is very cheap (usually followed by some sort of personal snipe)".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:30:38 pm by amolitor »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 04:33:18 pm »

It seems that LuLa's business is everybody's business these days.

Speaking about "body" and "busy," there is a combined word that sums it up much better ;)

amolitor

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 04:54:06 pm »

Sure, an option is to sit around smiling a lot and saying 'great job, guys!'. And we can award all the schoolchildren participation ribbons while we're at it. It is, above all, vital to avoid the slightest possibility of hurt feelings.

I don't choose that option, though.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »

It seems that LuLa's business is everybody's business these days.

Speaking about "body" and "busy," there is a combined word that sums it up much better ;)
Subscribers to the site are surely entitled to comment on its content and direction. We have skin in the game and we want Lula to survive and thrive. Andrew's core argument seems to me sound, and neither you nor any of his other detractors in the thread have had anything of substance to say against it. Even at low cost, if Lula is to attract new subscribers and retain old ones as a paid photographic site in a a world of free sites (some of them probably with more financial resources through advertising) it should surely be avoiding articles that look like low budget versions of what you get on the free sites. The surviving paid sites that I can think of (Sean Reid, Lloyd Chambers) have very clear points of difference from free sites. I am waiting in hope that Lula will manage something similar. The Gear of the Year article was not a good start.
Ken Cameron

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 06:00:42 pm »

Well I think Rand's Lulu is very cute, and I found the Met's production of Alban Berg's opera Lulu to be quite splendid.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »

Alban Berg's opera Lulu to be quite splendid.

She comes to a nasty end though, doesn't she? :-(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »

Subscribers to the site are surely entitled to comment ... neither you nor any of his other detractors in the thread have had anything of substance to say against it...

Sure we can comment. It is a matter of tone, however.

There is a difference between expressing an opinion and lecturing others how to run their own business. If one is so smart to know how to run a business, they should be busy running their own business, not minding other peoples' business. Or serve as a paid consultant, if hired to do so.

There has been a constant flow of almost rabid negativity about LuLa recently. Mean, nasty personal attacks against the founders and frequent contributors. People who proved themselves in business and photography many times over being attacked by armchair critics and Monday Morning Quarterbacks who rarely press the shutter.

There is a theory that mass spectators come to sport stadiums to vent their accumulated frustration with their lives by yelling, shouting, cursing, swearing, fighting etc. A sort of group therapy. But tickets for sport events are rather expensive these days. It seems it is much cheaper to come here for $1 a month and vent one's anger.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:24:31 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:17:16 pm »

People who proved themselves in business and photography many times over being attacked by armchair critics and Monday Morning Quoterbacks who rarely press the shutter.

Heh heh, he said "Quoterbacks" heh heh, yeah, heh, yeah...

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

amolitor

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 07:19:22 pm »

I rarely press a shutter button, but when I do, it's awesome.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 07:25:33 pm »

Heh heh, he said "Quoterbacks" heh heh, yeah, heh, yeah...

Thanks, corrected.

amolitor

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:38 pm »

And, with respect, it's borderline insulting to assume that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've spent 25 years building products. I've assembled physical devices. I've written software. I've provided close support for various kinds of marketing activities. I've provided engineering support instrumental in closing more multi million dollar desks than I can remember. I've done corporate governance as a board member and a C level officer.

And my resume is, I suspect, nothing special in this forum.

The fact that I'm offering my viewpoint for free is more about how the idea of operating a consulting practice sounds utterly horrible, and less about the idea that I have nothing useful to say.

amolitor

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 07:29:48 pm »

Wait, 'quoterback' was a typo?

I'm still stealing it. It's effin brilliant.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 07:43:13 pm »

She comes to a nasty end though, doesn't she? :-(
So we'll never know what she wanted to be when she grew up....
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up