Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Cameras  (Read 5082 times)

torger

Re: Technical Cameras
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 05:24:58 am »

The longer focal lengths you use the more tilt range you need. If you shoot macro you need even more.

As the digital sensor size is much smaller than 4x5" we use shorter focal lengths and thus a smaller tilt range is required.

My Linhof Techno has a tilt limitation of +/- 10 degrees. It is limiting in macro, and I don't recommend the Techno if you're doing that type of work. In landscape it's on the other hand more than you need. I use 180mm as the longest lens and with that I sometimes get up to 5 degrees of tilt, for the wides it's generally less than 2 degrees. I wouldn't worry about the +/-5 degree limitation of the RM3Di. What I feel more limiting with that is that you can't have tilt and swing at the same time. It's indeed rare but I surely use that more often than more than 5 degrees tilt or swing.

If you want to shoot macro/product you're better off with a say Arca-Swiss Universalis.

I haven't personally used the Rm3Di but I have heard both that some love it and some really get annoyed by the slow focusing. The Alpa seems to have the "best" tradeoff between precision and user-friendliness (ie suitable speed) when it comes to focusing, while the Rm3Di really is a bit overkill.

The type of compositions you make will affect how you experience the system. Personally I rarely make the grand landscape scenes, but instead intimate landscapes focused quite close. When you focus closer and have less open scenery the depth of field becomes more limiting, and it's more likely that you will want to use swing and tilt simultaneously than in open scenery, and indeed it's more likely that you want to use ground glass or live view.

I do envy the possibility to set a specific distance without having to focus on ground glass from time to time. Focusing the SK180 on long distance is challenging, which I did the other day (attached). Then I'm glad my digital back has some sort of focus check. It would be interesting to try out focusing this lens with a real CMOS live view. f/5.6 surely makes it harder than a f/2 lens, but it should be easier than with the ground glass for sure.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:47:03 am by torger »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 06:11:22 am »

I wouldn't worry about the +/-5 degree limitation of the RM3Di. What I feel more limiting with that is that you can't have tilt and swing at the same time. It's indeed rare but I surely use that more often than more than 5 degrees tilt or swing.

Thanks a lot Torger, very helpful also.

I was not aware about the impossibility to do both tilt and shift on the Arca, that is indeed an important limitation.

I believe that both the Actus and Universalis don't suffer from this, which only increases their appeal.

Looking at it from the opposite angle, what do you gentlemen consider to be the main drawbacks of the Actus DB/Universalis compared to the Rm3Di?

Cheers,
Bernard

torger

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 06:44:09 am »

One thing I hadn't realized about the Arca view cameras until recently is that they don't have any degree scale at all on the tilt/swing. I find tilt tables to be very useful in landscape, and setting 1.25 degrees of tilt is quite difficult when you have no degree scale.

The Actus has per-degree scale (like my Techno) which is great.

The Universalis can be complemented with a focus computer if you want to focus without live view / ground glass, but I don't know how precise it is. The Actus is not rigid enough for a sliding back which is something to keep in mind if you're going for a CCD back.

The big thing with RM3Di was focusing without the need of ground glass or live view, and then rigidity precision concerning parallelism for ultra-wides. I don't really know how big parallelism issues really is with the Actus/Universalis cameras due to less rigid constructions but I suspect that if you shoot f/11 or smaller it doesn't matter.

Oh, you can shoot the camera hand-held which is not feasible with view cameras. I think that feature is meaningless as I wouldn't consider using a tech camera hand held, but I know some actually do street photo with this type of gear, but then Alpa TC is the most popular.

The form factor of pancake cameras usually make them easier to pack, on the other hand if you like to have a few long lenses like I do then the tubed lens mounts takes a lot more space than a lens on a lens board.

If I would shoot primarily architecture I think RM3Di would be a primary choice, lots of wide angle shots, lots of preset focusing. For grand landscape scenery it's great too, lots of infinity focusing, basic tilts. When it comes to more intimiate landscape scenery, using many and longer focal lengths and especially if you have a live view capable back the view cameras win out I think.

If you buy super-expensive Rodenstock wides the 1k€ lens mount cost of the RM3Di doesn't seem that bad, but if you use lower cost lenses it's not that fun than the lens mount is a substantial amount of the total lens cost. If you buy second hand gear like me it's amazing what price/performance you get from some of the Digitars on lens boards.

The attached image was shot with a 90mm Schneider Digitar with 20mm vertical shift. This lens costs about 1k€ new. It's not a Rodie 90HR-SW but it weighs ~250 grams and the image quality is perfectly adequate for my 50MP back.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:41:01 am by torger »

Ken R

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:45 am »

Torger makes lots of great points.

The cool thing about the RM3Di is that since it is a rigid setup once you calibrate it it generally stays calibrated and it is very precise. This is critical with wide angle lenses where small changes in alignment can have detrimental effects on edge to edge sharpness. The focus helicoid on the Arca RM3Di body is a bit slow to work with but it is smooth and stays put where you leave it. The tilt adjustment is less precise but effective but care must be taken when getting the camera out of the bag and mounting it that it is at zero or where you want it before taking an image since it can tilt a bit while inside the bag during travel.

The great thing about having the focus helicoid on the body with a number scale is that any lens can be calibrated to infinity easily and perfectly and one can achieve VERY close focus with just about any lens. (spacers can be easily added if necessary but I have found no need yet). Also, tilt is available on any lens you mount. All the time. No need for special mount (a la Cambo) or adapter (ALPA). That is the main advantage of the RM3Di compared to other tech cameras.

Of course with the Universalis you have that and more since it is a rail camera but focus and alignment of everything makes for slower setup out in the field. Generally for studio I would prefer a Universalis or a rail camera. But if you hike and travel with your gear a tech camera is a much preferable solution specially for wide angle work and lenses 90mm and shorter. Some 90mm and longer lenses require spacers on the Arca RM3Di.

I generally hike with my 40mm HR-W and IQ160 mounted on the RM3Di all ready to go with zero tilt and focus at infinity. I just pull out the camera connect the cables and am ready to go in seconds. Some call the tech cameras pancake cameras because they are very flat! They can be configured very light and compact. The large bellows of the universalis is pretty much wasted with wide angle lenses since the lens will be very close to the sensor even with the larger sensor backs and moderate wide angle lenses like the 40mm HR-W. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:23:11 am by Ken R »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:29 am »

Ken summed it up very well.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up