Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I thought I was doing it right...  (Read 2834 times)

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
I thought I was doing it right...
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:03:36 pm »

I know, famous last words, but hear me out. So I've had issues on and off with exporting out of Lightroom and into Photoshop. Sometimes the images export just fine, or rather any change is so slight that I cannot see it. But often with black and white photos that I've pushed to the extreme in the development module, exporting these files to Photoshop introduces strange banding and colour casts, particularly in darker areas. I had previously had Lightroom set to export files with ProPhoto as the colour space (yes, colour - get over it), and export a 16bit PSD. Likewise, Photoshop was set to ProPhoto as the working space, and to preserve embedded profiles. So I played around with the settings, and Lightroom's file export colour space back to AdobeRGB - the "wrong" colour space from what I've read on these forums, and indeed Lightroom itself advises to choose ProPhoto over AdobeRGB. But somehow changing back to AdobeRGB has resolved the issue, and the image in Photoshop is just how it was in Lightroom. But the question is, why is this so? As some background, I'm using a 27" Retina iMac running El Capitan, calibrated with an i1 Display Pro. The files are from an Olympus OM-D E-M1, shot using AdobeRGB as the colour profile in camera. Could it be that Lightroom is preserving AdobeRGB as the embedded profile?

[edit] I've attached some crops of one of the problem areas. Note the green and magenta casts in the transition to black on the side of the highway. Oh and ignore the excessive halo along the edge, that'll be dealt with later. Also note the issue only appears in Photoshop under the conditions outlined above, it won't appear in a browser or file browser.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:40:47 pm by adokeeffe »

hugowolf

Re: I thought I was doing it right...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:19:30 pm »

RAW or jpeg? Choosing AdobeRGB in the camera will only affect jpegs, but if you are shooting jpegs, then I'm fairly sure Lr will use that space.

Brian A

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:32 pm »

Thanks for your reply hugowolf, yes I'm shooting RAW, and keeping the original .orf format instead of converting to .dng format. And that was only a possible hypothesis without anything to substantiate it, so I'm not saying that that is what is happening, just a blue sky theory. Is it possible though that Lightroom is perhaps assigning ProPhoto rather than converting to ProPhoto. From memory, in regards to Photoshop,  one preserves the embedded profile while displaying it within the assigned space, while the other does a full conversion, transferring one to the other.

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 02:40:33 am »

What Lightroom works in isn't actually ProPhotoRGB, it is ProPhotoRGB but with a different tone curve, a linear gamma instead of 1.8. It has to be converting or you would see huge differences in the shadows.

Same goes for AdobeRGB to ProPhotoRGB, 2.2 to 1.8. It wouldn't be as drastic, but you would imeadiately see the difference.

Try opening an AdobeRGB file in Photoshop and and assigning ProPhotoRGB, the shadows should pop right out.

Brian A

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 01:16:16 am »

So FWIW I finally figured out the issue - I was using a proof setup in Photoshop! I'm assuming at some point I've hit Command + Y accidentally, and the display output has shifted to whatever proof setup Photoshop defaults to. Having hit it again, colours have shifted back to match Lightroom exactly.

I didn't know it was possible to feel like a genius and an idiot simultaneously...

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:29:50 am »

So FWIW I finally figured out the issue - I was using a proof setup in Photoshop! I'm assuming at some point I've hit Command + Y accidentally, and the display output has shifted to whatever proof setup Photoshop defaults to. Having hit it again, colours have shifted back to match Lightroom exactly.

I didn't know it was possible to feel like a genius and an idiot simultaneously...

Been there, done that. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up