Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIELD REPORT: New Species of Jumping Spider  (Read 594 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
FIELD REPORT: New Species of Jumping Spider
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:09:08 pm »

I posted a photo or two of this species a few years back (I have taken dozens of shots of it).

In between working insane hours on may "day job," I have been building an online nature photography database with a pretty cool concept.
You can add (up to) 5 species photos, and 5 habitat photos, each with a textbox under it for dialogue/clarification/discussion.

This species of Tutelina jumping spider in particular is one of my favorites, as it's about the size of a grain of rice and yet carries with it every color under the rainbow.
If you click on the Field Report, you can not only see different angles (of both males and females), but also their habitat, as well as how they blend in with it.
In fact, thus far, these spiders have only been collected on 2 types of foliage: Rusty Lyonia and Scrub Oak. Check them out:

Field Report

Taxonomic Placement in Tree of Life.

While each field report is the user's own, personal record of the Encounter, the hooking of a personal encounter into the Global taxonomic tree of life becomes a communal effort.
In other words, if 10 people have personal reports on the same species, their photos (of habitat + species) all join together into the Community Tree of Life.
The hope is that, as the days, weeks, months, and years go by it will be a wonderful repository of plant/animal/wildlife of all kinds.

Also, the photos which get displayed in the Tree are random and can be changed by refreshing.
The number of photos that will display is based on the width of the viewing device used.

Enjoy,

Jack
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:24:39 pm by John Koerner »

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: FIELD REPORT: New Species of Jumping Spider
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:52:59 am »

Handsome spider you have there Jack, and really special photograph of it as well.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Re: FIELD REPORT: New Species of Jumping Spider
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:07 am »

Thanks Bob.

Here is another, kinda cute, one of a female of the species seeking refuge under a tiny acorn shell :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up