Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terminally Cute...Wildlife Sanctuary shoots...  (Read 6533 times)

gryffyn

• http://www.tarafrost.com
Terminally Cute...Wildlife Sanctuary shoots...
« on: April 23, 2006, 04:13:58 pm »

A fellow Nikonian was in town and we arranged special permission for him to tour the Bear Creek Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary (http://www.bearcreeksanctuary.com) and take some photos. Normally photography is not allowed in the Sanctuary.

He seemed to have a good time visiting with all the lions, tigers and bears, oh my! And playing with the baby tigers was a treat.

Here are a few of the shots I took yesterday.

WARNING: Terminally Cute Alert!

[attachment=503:attachment]

As a non-profit charitable organization, BCEWS is dedicated to the rescue and care of exotic animals, and like many such organization is chronically looking for fundraising opportunities.

One idea we have tentatively discussed is providing guided Photo Tours one day per month this summer. As their "official" photograher, I would conduct the tours, passing on some of my practical expertise on good vantage points, tips/techniques and the like. Normally tour guests cannot get access to these vantage points, and cannot get right up to the fences. The Photo Tours would offer unprecendented access to photograph these majestic animals, "up close and personal" You can see some examples on the Tarafrost Photography site (http://www.tarafrost.com)

[attachment=504:attachment]

The current plan is that Photo Tours would be run on a weekend (Sat or Sun) with two sessions of 2 to 2.5 hours, starting at 10:30am and another at 2:30pm or thereabouts. A waiver will have to be signed due to the close proximity to the animals, and there will be restrictions on what use your photos can be put to (no commercial use of images will be allowed, unless BCEWS agrees in writing to the specific use and shares in the proceeds, so that the animals benefit from their portraits). My time in conducting the tours will be on a volunteer basis, at no cost. We're expecting the fee for a tour will be somewhere around $100 Canadian, which I think is very reasonable given the access and image-making opportunities that will be offered. Keep in mind, that the whole purpose of these Photo Tours are as a fund raiser to help care and feed the over 100 animals at Bear Creek.

[attachment=505:attachment]

There is no guarantee that babies will be available, since they come and go, but BCEWS does foster many cubs for other facilities, so the odds are good that they will have "terminally cute" photo ops as well, with any luck.

I'm curious as to how many LLophiles might be interested in taking such a tour?
.....Andrzej

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:01:17 pm »

I notice in the photographs on the linked site that some of the animals have leashes on them--is part of the tour fences-free access to animals? Are there going to be many chances to get photos without wire-mesh in them? How much time will we have to photograph each animal? Will the tour be conducted in the late afternoon for better light?

What exactly, does the wildlife centre include in their definition of 'commercial use' and what are their terms for said use?

I think all these questions weigh into whether it is worthwhile, as opposed to staying in Toronto and going to the zoo--which I can do anytime that it is open, without any restrictions on the use of my photos, for less, with less driving.

It is hard to say whether $100 is a fair price without a better idea of how the opportunities and restrictions compare to other venues for this kind of photography.
-Sean [ we

gryffyn

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 07:35:53 pm »

> I notice in the photographs on the linked site that some of the animals have leashes on
> them--is part of the tour fences-free access to animals?

If the sanctuary has babies at the time of a tour, then usually they do bring them out to play with the guests and for photo ops.  Since babies come and go, this is not guaranteed.

Fence-free access to Zar (750 lb siberian tiger), Simba (a very big male lion, usually grouchy) and Diablo (male black jaguar who is the scariest animal at the Sanctuary....his growl is enough to make you wet your pants, and that's behind a fence!)? Somehow I don't think you would really want to do that, and for obvious reasons, that would not be permitted!      

> Are there going to be many chances to get photos without wire-mesh in them?

Yes.  Many of the enclosures have 6" mesh fencing, so it's easy to get a lens through and get clean shots.  WIth the smaller chain link fencing, you can typically eliminate the fencing by having the lens right up to the wire.  Participants will be literally within a foot or two of some of the animals, if they choose to come close and get friendly, which is why these tours will be supervised and such close access is not available to general guest tours, which have to stay behind the setback fences.

> How much time will we have to photograph each animal?

That depends on the animals.  They don't all pose every time I'm there, but with over a hundred (16 siberian tigers, 8 lions, 8 cougars, 2 black jaguars and many smaller cats and other animals), some are always "posing" and in good position.  If an animal is grouchy, we won't press them (this is a sanctuary after all), but move on to the next animal/enclosure.  In my two years of photography there, I have always had some animals perfectly positioned, but you can never predict which ones will be good for photo ops on a particular day.  The tour will be 2 - 2.5 hours, which will typically provide a photographer with many hundreds of shots, and quite a few spectacular ones.

> Will the tour be conducted in the late afternoon for better light?

One at 10:30 and another at 2:30.  Some of the enclosures are under a lot of shade in the summer, so trying to shoot too late doesn't work due to the nature of the facility.

> What exactly, does the wildlife centre include in their definition of 'commercial use' and > what are their terms for said use?

This is still being worked on, but basically if you make money off photos of the animals, we feel that the animals should get a cut, in order to help feed/care for them.  This is a non-profit, charitable organization and the purpose of the tours (should we decide to have them) is to raise funds for the care of the animals. Sounds fair to me. The animals would have to be portrayed in a positive light and images could not be used in conjunction with any known animal-rights activist organizations.

> I think all these questions weigh into whether it is worthwhile, as opposed to staying
> in Toronto and going to the zoo--which I can do anytime that it is open, without any
> restrictions on the use of my photos, for less, with less driving.

When was the last time that the Toronto Zoo allowed you to get within feet of a full grown lion or siberian tiger, or play with baby cubs?  

I've taken shots of some of the tigers from inches away with my 12-24mm lens. Interesting effect.  Can you do that at the Toronto Zoo?

Please note the above are rhetorical questions, since I've photographed at the Toronto Zoo myself...it's a wonderful zoo.  But it's a zoo...not a sanctuary, and it's nowhere near as intimate and personal as Bear Creek.

If you are a subscriber to the LL-VJ, the last issue had a portfolio review of some of my images, including some typical photos that are possible at Bear Creek.  Most people agree that you cannot get such shots at a typical zoo, unless you know someone "inside" the organization.

The point of this is to have a win/win all the way round.  Photographers get "up close and personal" access to exotic animals that is rarely available anywhere else, and a phenomenal experience (regardless of the photography) while supporting a noble and worthwhile cause.

When we get all the details sorted out (which as I noted in my post, we haven't since this is just an idea under discussion and may never come to fruition), you'll be able to make a better call on whether you think it's worthwhile or not.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 07:48:21 pm by gryffyn »
.....Andrzej

framah

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:44:28 pm »

I really like this idea. I would definitely be willing to drive on over from Maine for a couple of days .

I'm always up for a road trip to get away and play with my toys!!  Maybe you could email me when the program is set up. thanks.

maine.framah@verizon.net
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

framah

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:16:30 pm »

Here's another question... How many people in a session? Too many and no one will get any good shots.
I'd be willing to pay more for fewer people in a group.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

gryffyn

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:30:25 pm »

Here's another question... How many people in a session? Too many and no one will get any good shots.
I'd be willing to pay more for fewer people in a group.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good question.

I'm thinking 3-4 people max!  The sanctuary is on 5 acres, and some of the vantage points, depending on where the animals might be, can get a bit tight, so it would definitely be small groups to ensure that everyone had a good crack at clean images.
.....Andrzej

framah

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 11:39:48 am »

OK... my car is loaded up and I'm ready to go!!!  

Are we there yet??    

I'm figuring a day and a half to get there from here  (And they say you can't get there from here!!)
and I can stop in Naigara falls on the way back!  Alot cheaper than the trip to Africa I was planning to go on this fall.

Went to the Sanctuary website and the shots are  great! You are doing a great thing up there!

Keep me posted.

Ralph

gryffyn

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 11:53:39 am »

Are we there yet??  

I was there Sunday, where were you?  

Thanks for the compliments on the photos....the ones on the site are not my "fine art" portraits as a general rule, meaning to say, I have even better ones!

I'll keep you posted as plans progress, Ralph.

As for driving...I think you need to go and visit the thread on packing cameras on motorcycles...much more fun on two wheels!  
.....Andrzej

framah

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 05:14:16 pm »

Unfortunately... I don't ride anymore. A few years ago, I noticed that while I was holding onto the handlebars, my hands went numb. It's a weird feeliing to know you are holding on but you can't feel it.  Same with using hammers and such. After about ten minutes, my hand goes numb.  So I bought gas and air powered nailers.

I would LOVE to do a 2 wheeled roadtrip!!  My longest was from Washington, DC up to my place in Maine.  Nice thru the white Mountains!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up