Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing on aluminum foil - will bending it ruin the ink?  (Read 1960 times)

birdbrain22

printing on aluminum foil - will bending it ruin the ink?
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:40:57 pm »

hi guys,

i'm thinking about buying a printer to print on aluminum sheets, and possibly aluminum foil. if i placed ink aid on aluminum foil, and then printed onto it, would i be able to bend the foil and still retain the ink, or would fall off? i would apply a sealer after printing and before bending. if anyone has any info i would appreciate it!

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: printing on aluminum foil - will bending it ruin the ink?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »

If you tried to print on aluminum foil I expect having the ink break off at a crease would be the least of your problems.

Edit:  I missed where you said you would first apply 'ink aid.'  Have no idea what that might be.  But perhaps that would make a difference.  I'm still pretty skeptical...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:08:33 pm by Jager »

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »

Seen this done with Golden Digital Ground.

Flexing tin foil did not flake ink. Probably would with aggressive creasing

Have the grounds myself and roll of tin foil, but have not worked up nerve yet to do it. But maybe this week.

Plan to print on tin foil. Scrunch it up...unscrunch. And float mount in a frame.

hi guys,

i'm thinking about buying a printer to print on aluminum sheets, and possibly aluminum foil. if i placed ink aid on aluminum foil, and then printed onto it, would i be able to bend the foil and still retain the ink, or would fall off? i would apply a sealer after printing and before bending. if anyone has any info i would appreciate it!

howardm

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:49:36 am »

what is the best way to apply that stuff so it's as even a coat as possible w/o waste?

brianrybolt

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 10:28:03 am »

birdbrain:  GoTo: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=77266.msg618476#msg618476     This is a previous thread about 'ink aid' and may be of some help.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:27:48 am »

what is the best way to apply that stuff so it's as even a coat as possible w/o waste?

Coating rod is apparently the best manual/home way to get uniform layer on non-porous surfaces.

Inherently these are all manual processes and part of the art/effect/charm is the imperfections.

If you are looking for a perfect surface, then rod or spray are best bets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up