Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Selfie stick  (Read 4790 times)

landscapephoto

Selfie stick
« on: December 31, 2015, 07:21:35 am »

I visited some tourist places during the holidays and the places were full of tourists, as it usually is. I was surprised by the number of so-called "selfie sticks" in use, about 2/3rds of the photographers seemed to have one. Actually, even the people who did not use a selfie stick were taking pictures of themselves (in couples or groups), holding the camera or cell phone at arm length.

I don't remember this from previous trips. I remember groups taking pictures in front of the local monuments, but usually one member of the group was holding the camera, taking pictures of the others.

Did you also notice the same pattern?

brianrybolt

Re: Selfie stick
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:00:10 am »

Don't go to the Vatican without a motorcycle helmet with clear visor.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:04:42 am »

The first time I really noticed them was in Japan about a year ago. I didn't know what they were at first, I thought they might have been "grabbers" that old folks use to get things off high shelves. Now they are everywhere - on a recent road trip I actually saw them for sale at a truck stop! "This is me and my 18-wheeler in Kansas. This is me and my 18-wheeler in Nebraska." They actually are being banned in more and more places.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:39:27 am »

In some places, selfie stick sellers are way worse than sticks themselves.

Been to Rome last December, and at any square there were about half a dozen sellers harassing you with those sticks, umbrellas, and flowers -- in-your-face... Just unbearable.

When rain started, I and my wife found ourselves in the street w/o an umbrella, but there was no way I'd buy one from those bastards -- at that point, I just wanted them all to die. So we were running from store to store in search for an umbrella, and one of those fellas was running with us, with all his sticks and umbrellas, but I'd rather get soaking wet than buy anything from him...

landscapephoto

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:20:30 am »

So selfie sticks are common from Japan to Italy... thanks for the answers!

I had not realised they were that common. I have not seen pictures taken with a selfie stick. But then, I don't use Facebook and I suppose the pictures end up on that platform.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:04 am »

So selfie sticks are common from Japan to Italy... thanks for the answers!

I had not realised they were that common. I have not seen pictures taken with a selfie stick. But then, I don't use Facebook and I suppose the pictures end up on that platform.
Maybe you have seen some sports videos, or music videos, where the camera is magically keeping the subject within the frame, even though obviously not held in the subject's arms?

This has been going on for about a decade, when compact digital still and action cameras became ubiquitous, but selfie sticks in use with smartphones is something that really became popular after the smartphone became ubiquitous - naturally. :)

For film cameras, I saw that selfie sticks were used by Japanese tourists during the 80s and 90s, but without the instant gratification.

It's pretty cute now, but now that we have small drones that can track us properly, I suspect we'll soon be seeing miniature selfie drones instead.
Jan

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:28:00 am »

Maybe you have seen some sports videos, or music videos, where the camera is magically keeping the subject within the frame, even though obviously not held in the subject's arms?

Yes, the first movie I saw using a camera attached to an actor was Pi by Darren Aronofsky. I remember seeing the setup in the making of. But it is not quite the same as what tourists do.

What I don't really understand is the idea to take picture of oneself. I never take pictures of myself. If I did, I would not know what to do with them. So I am a bit surprised that the activity is so popular and apparently has got even more popular in recent times. But that is just me, I suppose.

It's pretty cute now, but now that we have small drones that can track us properly, I suspect we'll soon be seeing miniature selfie drones instead.

There are already a few. Let me give you some links:

http://flynixie.com
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/13/lily-drone-personal-videographer-selfie
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/18/9171603/fotokite-fi-drone-leash-tether-selfie-dronie

Why on earth do people use that?  ???

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 02:38:11 pm »

Yes, the first movie I saw using a camera attached to an actor was Pi by Darren Aronofsky. I remember seeing the setup in the making of. But it is not quite the same as what tourists do.
This is exactly what tourists did, before Pi.

It was a thing for people who were parashooting, hanggliding, skiing, etc.

What I don't really understand is the idea to take picture of oneself. I never take pictures of myself. If I did, I would not know what to do with them. So I am a bit surprised that the activity is so popular and apparently has got even more popular in recent times. But that is just me, I suppose.
Ask yourself this instead: why would anyone take a picture of their loved one in front of the St. Peter basilica, and not include themselves in it?

There are already a few.
Yes, I know. I was speaking of them replacing selfie sticks, not their mere existence.

Why on earth do people use that?  ???
People have, as far as I know, always wanted to show that they were there.

Which answers my previous question half-way: people would take that picture of their loved one, and not include themselves in it, because it was impractical.

These days, it is practical.
Jan

landscapephoto

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 02:23:28 am »

People have, as far as I know, always wanted to show that they were there.

When my friends travel, they sometimes show pictures of the places they visited but almost never of themselves in front of the monuments. Actually, they rarely take pictures of themselves (of their kids, yes). So I am wondering who is doing that and in which context.

Come to think of it, I suppose that the people taking selfies run some sort of blog of their travels or even of their lives. I see little other use for this kind of pictures. I have also seen some filming themselves and describing the place, as if they were reporting on TV. That would be an explanation: they are running the equivalent of a low budget TV channel of which they are the main actors.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:27:56 pm »

I have also seen some filming themselves and describing the place, as if they were reporting on TV. That would be an explanation: they are running the equivalent of a low budget TV channel of which they are the main actors.

Possibly they are also the main audience!

I think if you can make a cool enough shot with one you are excused from ridicule. At least from me.
-MattB

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 04:47:27 pm »

When my friends travel, they sometimes show pictures of the places they visited but almost never of themselves in front of the monuments. Actually, they rarely take pictures of themselves (of their kids, yes). So I am wondering who is doing that and in which context.
One for the family album, as they say.

My wife made me a year book for our "paper anniversary".

It contains selfies, and other pictures of us, sometimes together, sometimes in places, sometimes with friends.

Any idiot can take a picture of the Great Basilica of the Vatican State. But it is impersonal, no matter how well done it is, until it's got family or friends in it.

That's how a lot of people look at photography, and have been looking at it since its early days: a handy keepsake medium, something to jog your memory.

Come to think of it, I suppose that the people taking selfies run some sort of blog of their travels or even of their lives. I see little other use for this kind of pictures. I have also seen some filming themselves and describing the place, as if they were reporting on TV. That would be an explanation: they are running the equivalent of a low budget TV channel of which they are the main actors.
These two quotes makes me think that we didn't grow up on the same planet. It's the only explanation I can have for you not having been exposed to neither family albums nor home videos, not even on TV, in the movie theatre, by reading a book, or anything. ;)
Jan

landscapephoto

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 04:19:56 am »

Possibly they are also the main audience!

I am not sure I understand that.

I think if you can make a cool enough shot with one you are excused from ridicule. At least from me.

I am too old to be that cool.

landscapephoto

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 04:24:56 am »

These two quotes makes me think that we didn't grow up on the same planet. It's the only explanation I can have for you not having been exposed to neither family albums nor home videos, not even on TV, in the movie theatre, by reading a book, or anything. ;)

I have been exposed to family albums. They contained pictures of the children, pets, vacations, etc... They did not contain self portraits, so the photographer is usually the great absent from the family history. I have very few pictures of my father and my kids will not have pictures from me.

We live on the same planet, but not in the same country. Maybe that is an explanation.

jeremyrh

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 09:07:09 am »

I have been exposed to family albums. They contained pictures of the children, pets, vacations, etc... They did not contain self portraits, so the photographer is usually the great absent from the family history. I have very few pictures of my father and my kids will not have pictures from me.

Umm ... that's because you and your ancestors didn't have selfie sticks. Now people do, so they will pass on family albums with no absentees.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:16:34 am »

Yup, they are quite conspicuous. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't fall off of the cliff into the sea and die... it happened last year to a Polish couple here in Portugal...

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:23:10 am »

We live on the same planet, but not in the same country. Maybe that is an explanation.

People have wanted to be included in self-portraits/pics with family since the advent of photography. That is why there are camera functions like the 10 sec self-timer, where you put the camera on tripod and run back to your friends and family. I still use a tripod for those occasions, and try to make nicely composed pics. There is even a camera maker that combines the self-timer with the option of "smiling shutter", the camera fires when you smile at it:)

It's sometimes fun and makes for great memories. Photography is about creating and making lasting memories.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »

I prefer the tripod method too. Even though my newest crop camera has a flip screen and selfie mode to make hitting the shutter easier. That's just not how I want to shoot.
-MattB

Isaac

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »

Any idiot can take a picture of the Great Basilica of the Vatican State. But it is impersonal, no matter how well done it is, until it's got family or friends in it.

That's how a lot of people look at photography, and have been looking at it since its early days: a handy keepsake medium, something to jog your memory.

'You see, the extraordinary thing about photography is that it's a truly popular medium... But this has nothing to do with the art of photography even though the same materials and the same mechanical devices are used. Thoreau said years ago, "You can't say more than you see." No matter what lens you use, no matter what the speed of the film is, no matter how you develop it, no matter how you print it, you cannot say more than you see. That's what that means, and that's the truth.'   

Paul Strand, Aperture 19(1), 1974.

landscapephoto

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 03:21:18 pm »

Thoreau said years ago, "You can't say more than you see."

True, but I am afraid you can't also say more than what your public is able to see. And that is a far bigger problem.

Isaac

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »

True, but I am afraid you can't also say more than what your public is able to see. And that is a far bigger problem.

Well, you can say more than your public is able to see - but given they won't see, they may stop looking.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up