Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to get Epson Canvas profile for Canon wide format printer  (Read 2638 times)

iCanvas

If I decide to go with a Canon wide format printer, I would want to use only Epson Exhibition Canvas matte for my prints since it is 23mil thick. Such thick canvas doesn't leave stretch marks when stretched over a stretcher bar. Canon or any third party doesn't make canvas this thick. I have only found 21.5mil and wasn't satisfied with that. Does anyone have experience using and obtaining Epson profiles for Canon printers? Thanks in advance.
Gar

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Best way to get Epson Canvas profile for Canon wide format printer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:29 am »

No I don't, but in principle you have two options: (1) try it and see what happens (you can extract Epson's profiles from the driver installation on your hard drive), or (2) insofar as the Canon ink set and printing technology are different from Epson's, order a custom profile.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:11:55 am »

Hahnemühle Monet Canvas is 0.58 mm (~23 mil), Canon Fine Art Water Resistant Canvas is 24 mil; but otherwise just get a custom profile made.

Brian A

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:11:17 pm »

Also, consider Breathing Color Lyve, you will find it to be very similar to the current version of Epson exhibition matte canvas, and BC has profiles for Canon printers. 

IMO Lyve is an excellent matte canvas, has few imperfections, and makes a great stretch.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

iCanvas

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 02:12:19 pm »

Brian, thanks for the info, but Canon it seems doesn't make a 44" wide roll for the 24mil canvas.

iCanvas

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 02:18:14 pm »

Thanks Paul, The Breathing color Lyve is $240 a roll from their website and is only 19mil. I am getting Epson Exhibition Matte canvas for $180 a roll from my local distributor and it is 23mil.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 03:00:30 pm »

It seems you have a few choices.

1.  Get every profile for canvas on a canon printer from all vendors and try it and see if the results are OK.

2.  Try letting the printer manage color and don’t use a profile.

3.  Order a custom profile (they’ll send you a target file, you print it out and send it back, they send you a profile).

4.  Buy a colormunki and make your own profile  If you run a couple of iterations, the results are pretty good.

5.  get lucky and have someone who is already doing this drop a PM with a profile attached. (ok not a choice, but who knows).

Landscapes

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 03:18:44 pm »

For canvas, I just don't understand how you can go with a supplied one, even if that was available.  The colors, and especially the brightness, changes after coating, and you simply have to coat canvas.  I use the Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte in my Canon 6400, and it is a very nice canvas, especially for stretching, and I had a custom profile made for $25 which had my mix of 20% gloss and 80% matte Timeless.  When it first comes out of the printer, the image is noticeably brighter, but after the coating is applied, it darkens up to match the image.  So I think for something like canvas which needs a coating, you need to get a custom profile made.

iCanvas

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »

Hi Landscapes,

OK, this is more in line with the question I had in the beginning. I also only use Epson Exhibition matte canvas. Are you talking about when you printed the target file on canvas, you coated the canvas with your mixture and then had a profile made? Please explain in more detail. Very important to me.

Gar

iCanvas

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »

Thanks Wayne,

For the last many years I have been allowing the printer (9900) to manage the colors and have been satisfied with that. My Epson rep recently got in a P9000 and I compared the same file from my 9900 and his P9000. My Epson rep had a custom profile made for the Epson Exhibition Matte Canvas and when I compared the two there was a noticeable difference. The P9000 print with the custom profile had more detail in the shadows. I was very impressed with the print from the P9000. I will be buying a new printer sometime in April. Hopefully by then the new wide format Canons will be out and I can make a comparison. Thanks, as usual for your input.

Gar

Landscapes

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 04:15:27 pm »

Hi Landscapes,

OK, this is more in line with the question I had in the beginning. I also only use Epson Exhibition matte canvas. Are you talking about when you printed the target file on canvas, you coated the canvas with your mixture and then had a profile made? Please explain in more detail. Very important to me.

Gar

Yes... exactly right.  Print out the target with your settings, no color correction, and then coat.  For me, I tested all the different settings and found that Special 6 works best.  Special 6-10 uses the matte black, which you need, and it lays down the least ink.  I looked at some of the other settings like watercolor or matte canvas, and those actually used considerably more ink, maybe 20-30% more, and some of the patches I ran, the darks didn't have enough seperation.  Darks are still in issue with canvas I would say though.  The other things about special 6 is that it allows you to use 3mm margins.  Other paper types have restrictions on feeding sheets and all that jazz, but special 6 seemed most free.

So I printed up the targets using special 6, high quality, no color correction.  Then sprayed the targets as I would my canvas, 2 heavy coats, and shipped it off.  Was only $25 at inkjetart which I think is now IT supplies and I think they still do profiles for $25.  Since its canvas, you have to use their heavy media targets since its a different machine they use, not as many patches, so you only print out 2 sheets versus 3, which would be their higher end spectro I think.

If I change my coating to be more glossy than matte, I still use the same profile and it comes out just as good.  Also, sometimes I use a Simply Elegant canvas, and this turns out fairly close as well, but there might be differences of course since the white of the canvas is different.  But the biggest thing is that the profile is made after the coating.  The coating itself is perhaps even less than 95% reflective, so you've losing 5% of the light, which means everything is 5% darker already after the coating.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:04:18 pm by Landscapes »

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 08:14:00 pm »

Yes, itSupplies will profile for US$25. It is a standard two sheet profile. Very good but not the greatest. Probably good enough for almost any. For better you are looking at maybe US$100.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up