Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strongly asymmetric lens sharpness - normal, or something wrong?  (Read 758 times)

LNikodym

strongly asymmetric lens sharpness - normal, or something wrong?
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:06:42 pm »

I recently got a Sony Alpha 7 II with Sony's FE 3.5-6.3/24-240 zoom lens.  After shooting with it some, I've noticed that the images are much blurrier near the right hand edge of the frame than in the middle and at the left hand edge (both of which are quite adequately sharp) when the lens is used near the wide-angle end (24 to about 35 mm).  I could understand if all the edges were blurrier than the middle, because there are compromises in zoom lens design, but if the right edge is far worse than the left edge, is that a sign that something is wrong with the lens?

I've attached the image where I first noticed the issue (at full wide angle, 24 mm).  Look at the horizon line at the right edge compared with the horizon in the middle and the bungalows on the left edge.

After seeing this, I scanned through other images, and the wide-angle ones look like they all have the problem.  For ones at 40 mm and longer, though, they look OK.

Any comments?  Is this plausibly normal lens behavior, or do I have a malfunctioning lens?

Thanks,
Lisa

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: strongly asymmetric lens sharpness - normal, or something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:38:59 pm »

Many lenses, in particular zoom lenses, end up being manufactured with poorly centered glass elements. This results in assymetric sharpness.

Each manufacturer has its own quality criteria, often depending of the price of the lens.

From what you report, it seems likely that the sample you purchases is outside acceptable tolerances.

I would return it if possible, or have it repaired.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up