Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LITE WEIGHT TRIPODS AND HEADS  (Read 6943 times)

MAR685

LITE WEIGHT TRIPODS AND HEADS
« on: April 22, 2006, 07:06:01 pm »

Am interested in a really lite, carbon tripod with a ball head.  I'm heading towards the SLIK PRO 613 CF.  Weighs 1.5 lbs and folds down to 16.3 inches.  Will use it with my Canon 30D.  Any recommendations as to a liteweight ballhead.  I do have an Arca1 for a heavier tripod but it weighs as much as the SLIK.
Thanks for any input.
Marty

jdemott

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:30:09 pm »

For a really light, but quality ballhead--the Really Right Stuff B-25, under half a pound.  For something with more load carrying capacity, the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, under a pound.
John DeMott

MAR685

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 07:39:34 pm »

Am interested in a really lite, carbon tripod with a ball head.  I'm heading towards the SLIK PRO 613 CF.  Weighs 1.5 lbs and folds down to 16.3 inches.  Will use it with my Canon 30D.  Any recommendations as to a liteweight ballhead.  I do have an Arca1 for a heavier tripod but it weighs as much as the SLIK.
Thanks for any input.
Marty
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
jOHN,

MAR685

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »

Am interested in a really lite, carbon tripod with a ball head.  I'm heading towards the SLIK PRO 613 CF.  Weighs 1.5 lbs and folds down to 16.3 inches.  Will use it with my Canon 30D.  Any recommendations as to a liteweight ballhead.  I do have an Arca1 for a heavier tripod but it weighs as much as the SLIK.
Thanks for any input.
Marty
John,
Thanks for the advice.  I was thinking along those lines also, but nice to know others would agree.  Marty

Slough

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:25:10 pm »

I wanted a light weight head and looked at the Acratech, the Kirk BH-3 and the Markins M10. I ruled out the Acratech due to some disgruntled user reports (see the Fred Miranda site and elsewhere) though some of the issues have been resolved. Both the BH-3 and the M10 get uniformly good user reviews. I preferred the Markins due to the integrated tension dial and locking knob though I suspect there is not much between them. Markins claim a higher maximum weight, but I have seen no unbiased tests. The Markins is very nice indeed. Light, well made, and it does the job. The only aspect that I do not like is that the panning and quick release knobs have knurled metal grips. I would have preferred rubber for comfort.

Leif

lbergman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:59:35 am »

Thanks for any input.
Marty

Hi Marty,

Just a couple months ago I was soliciting options on the close brother of the Silk 613: the 614. (The 614 is identical to the 613, except has 4 leg sections instead of 3).

I have the Gitzo 1228 MK2 and had just supplimented my RRS BH-55 head with a BH-40 to lighten the load.  But I wanted lighter still, so I started looking at the Silk 614CF.

I eventually bought it several weeks ago and have since used it primarily with a 1D and 20D. What I've discovered so far is although the BH-40 + 1D + 100-400 IS is right at the load rating of 6.6lbs, the setup is just a little too shaky.  Even with absolutely no wind, the vibrations induced by just the mirror had the whole thing swaying slightly (particularly with the lens fully extended) and would take 2+ seconds to come to a stop.  I was even afraid the shutter alone (using mirror lockup) was causing blur.  IS on the lens helped (I think), but I just didn't trust the setup.

Now, using the 20D with the 100-400 instead of the 1D (over a pound lighter) seems to make a big difference as the setup appears a lot more stable. Of course, the stablility only improves when I use lighter lenses.

My opinion is it's a great light tripod and plently stable, as long as you keep the load (including ballhead) to under about 5.5 lbs. Given the 613 has one less leg section, perhaps it's slightly more stable...or maybe not.

Lyle
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 11:03:05 am by lbergman »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 01:51:13 am »

Gitzo 1257 and RRS BH-40 PCL.

Cheers,
Bernard

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 06:28:01 pm »

For days I need to go ultra light, I've had excellent results with a Gitzo G1028 CF and G1177M head. It's good enough to shoot long exposures (several seconds) with a 10D or 5D and medium sized telephoto or zoom (not for big guns of course). The head isn't as good as the RRS but it's good enough and light as a feather. I found the Slik too loose for my needs.
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 08:31:34 am »

I'm very happy with the ultra light Velbon Sherpa pro 531EF, it comes with a stone bag that attaches to the legs and is nicely tucked away when the legs are collapsed and folded in. This is important as the tripod, and I believe any tripod this light, is not stable enough on it's own to ensure true stability for high resolution photography.

nma

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 09:03:09 am »

Thanks for any input.
Marty

Marty,

You are asking tough questions. There is no absolute answer, though many will claim religious certainty. The problem is that really light tripods are as a general rule less stable than heavier tripods. And if you want really light, stable AND cheap, there ain't no such thing. If you can afford it without a second thought, select a Gitzo tripod that meets your weight requirements. If you are watching every penny and you want to limit your purchase to ~ $100, I say save your money. The middle ground is where it is tough to make a decision.

About 18 months ago, I was in the market for a tripod that was light enough for hiking, but stable. I had previously bought a Velbon Maxi for this purpose. The integrated pan/tilt head could not hold my dSLR; it always drooped; the whole thing was unstable; one day, for no obvious reason, a leg broke. That was the end of that, the $100 tripod. So, I started studying and searching the web. I found articles that said buying anything but a Gitzo was a waste of money. I learned that quick release plates made for a particular camera model were required to ensure secure mounting to the tripod head.  If you just mount the camera by a single screw, it will tend to rotate around the screw and longer lens provide more torque. To make a log story shorter, I ended up taking a chance on a Feisol 3401 tripod that is more or less a knock-off of a Gitzo. I don't regret this at all (~$200 and ~ 2 lb). To that I added an Acratech Ultimate ball head  (~ $250. and ~ 1 lb) with quick release mounting plates for my  D60.  I have used this setup in mud, rivers, sand, heat, cold, etc. I've had no problems. Notice that the 3401 has 4 leg sections. That provides a trade off between ultimate stability and size. The 3401 closes to ~ 20 in. and thus fits in a standard suitcase for air travel with the head mounted. Fully extended, it is also high enough to use without raising the center column and I am 6' 1" tall.  In the interim, there has been gowing acceptance of the Feisol as a lower price alternative to the Gitzo. Of course there are a lot of other alternatives, but my requirements for low weight, stability and cost led to my decision.

I hope this discussion helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up