Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5.7 printing incorrect size  (Read 1125 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
LR 5.7 printing incorrect size
« on: December 29, 2015, 03:27:47 pm »

I'm trying to print a 20" wide print on 24" roll paper in a CanoniPF6400. It prints 24" wide instead. Unfortunately it had printed over 50" before I realized what was going on.
My LR Print module is set to all margins 0" and cell size is set to Height 60.00" and Width 20.00". LR tells me the image to be printed is "20 x 59.995 in".
Print Setup is set to a custom size of 20" x 60" and I have verified that the defined width and height for this custom setting are correct. I also have "Borderless Printing" selected because I want the image to be exactly 20" x 60". What is going on? If it's because I have borderless printing selected then why does LR then not report the cell size and image size correctly?

Edit: LR 5.7, not 5.9
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:49:27 pm by pcgpcg »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: LR 5.9 printing incorrect size
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:38:20 pm »

I'm an Epson guy and know with my printers you cannot print 20x60 on a custom paper size of 24x60 it has to be longer.
Try setting your custom paper size to 24 x 62. then set your cell size to 20 x 60 and click zoom to fill to make it exact and see what happens.
I would also change from borderless to the roll setting. You are not printing borderless.
You just have to trim the bleed at both ends.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:43:32 pm by Dan Berg »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »

Try setting your custom paper size to 24 x 62. then set your cell size to 20 x 60 and click zoom to fill to make it exact and see what happens.
You just have to trim the bleed at both ends...
and on the sides.

Yes, I've followed your suggestion and that solves the problem. I was trying to print 20x60 on a custom size of 20x60 on 24" roll paper with "borderless" selected. I realize now this won't work because, no matter what, my printer requires a 0.92 inch border at the bottom of everything. Sure fools LR though.
Thank you for the solution.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:50:53 pm »

I'm an Epson guy and know with my printers you cannot print 20x60 on 24x60 paper.
You just have to trim the bleed at both ends.
what he said.

as you’ve discovered, you need to tell the printer driver what size of piece of paper you have in the machine, doesn’t matter what size of print you want on that piece of paper.  In this case it’s a 24” wide roll which means your paper width is 24”.

Regarding borders and their sizes, it’s irrelevant if the image area is smaller than the printable area on the page.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:23:31 pm by Wayne Fox »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:05:28 pm »

as you’ve discovered, you need to tell the printer what size of piece of paper you have in the machine, doesn’t matter what size of print you want on that piece of paper.  In this case it’s a 24” wide roll which means your paper width is 24”.

I told LR I was using 24" roll paper. In LR Page Setup I have many "Page Size" definitions, most of which are less than 24" wide (8-1/2" x 11", etc.). I had a custom page size of 20" x 60" and had selected "borderless printing". LR then showed me a cell width and image width of 20", but it printed 24" wide. If I deselect "borderless printing", it won't allow me to select 0" borders and shows a cell width and image width of 19.76". Following Dan's suggestion I then resized my page to be 24" x 62" and zoomed the cell size to be 20" wide. What I've learned from this is that I need to think things through because LR does not always do so.

Some anal details I've discovered: When you use the Canon driver to define a custom page of any size, it creates a page that size AND ANOTHER page of the same size that is borderless. In my example I defined a page size of 20" wide by 60" high and named it "Custom - 20x60". This action created two page size options in the Canon driver, one called "Custom - 20x60" and one called "Custom - 20x60 borderless". I selected the second option when I printed. I've just discovered that if I select the first (non-borderless) option and then select the "borderless" box in the Canon driver to force it borderless, I get a warning message from Canon that says, "Scales the document to fit the roll paper width...". However, this warning message does not appear when I select the "Custom - 20x60 borderless" driver that was automatically created by the Canon driver.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:20:03 pm by pcgpcg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up