Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Actar 24mm / Actus Combo  (Read 1259 times)

BobDavid

Actar 24mm / Actus Combo
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:39:40 am »

I have been using the Cambo Actus since March. I have been a fan since the get-go. My one nit has been that I haven't been able to outfit it with short focal length lenses. Being that my kit is strictly MFT, the shortest practical lens for my Actus is a sweet Rodenstock 60mm WA enlarger lens. Yes, an enlarger lens--who would have thunk?

I got really excited when Cambo announced the Actar 24mm lens. Last week I called Steve at CI to get an update on the status of the lens. They actually had one available for rental. It's a neat lens.

I now typically photograph landscapes and seascapes. Before I retired, I shot a fair amount of architecture. I saw this building about twenty minutes before sunset. I liked the way the light shone on it. Unfortunately, by the time I got out of the car and found a good vantage point, there wasn't much time left.

Here's what I managed to get. If I'd gotten there ten minutes earlier, the colors would have been more intense. Still, I am surprised I was able to set up the Actus/Oly/Actar just in time to catch the last bit of sun. This picture is stitched from two frames. I made slight swing and tilt adjustments on the front standard. And on the back standard, at least a 10mm rise and then the shift positions: -10mm and +10mm.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:49:44 am by BobDavid »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Actar 24mm / Actus Combo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:53:51 am »

Nice to see that the 24 renders very straight.  OT comment, it feels like you white balanced for the building or Auto-White Balanced.  The result doesn't feel like end of day sun.  Take a look at the raw with your white balance set to 5500k.  This will give you what daylight film would have captured and should be much more like what you were experiencing at the time.

Film capture forced us to embrace the world around us more as it was.  Digital has a tendency to sterilize the esthetic.

Cheers,
CB

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:49:19 pm »

Good point, Chris. I dialed down the color temp to taste. The light certainly had a warmer glow to it. I'll give it a try. The bottom photo is a screen shot. The top one is the actual file (converted to jpg).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:37:43 pm by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:45 am »

I decided to buy the lens. It's a viable alternative to the Canon 24mm TS II; it's a terrific addition to the Actus platform.

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:32:15 pm »

Any chance of a raw we can look at Bob?
Be interesting to see what this is like on the Sony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up