Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Afternoon on the Gunpowder River  (Read 558 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
An Afternoon on the Gunpowder River
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:46:17 pm »

Baltimore experienced some of its warmest December weather on record this past week, with temperatures in the upper 60s (F) to lower 70s throughout much of it, and with it a lot of rain. This past Sunday (12/27/2015), I decided on a hike along the upper stretches of the Gunpowder River, with its cold waters fed from the spillway of PrettyBoy Reservoir's dam. Even with the cold water, our spate of hot weather had raised the air temp and increased the humidity so much that my fleece jacket was far too much for the conditions. The mosses, ferns, and mushrooms were abundant and thriving, as were the knats, stoneflies, and the occasional mosquito. This part of the Gunpowder has a native brown trout population, with additional stocking of brook, rainbow, and golden trout. They aren't big, but they are fighters, and the Gunpowder is a great flyfishing area, being just minutes from downtown Baltimore city. Although not large in size (I'd guess the catch and release area isn't more than two or three miles long give or take a mile or so), the area known as the "Boulder Pools" is a favorite of mine for flyfishing and hiking, albeit when the poison ivy is dormant. Here are four photos from the day. For those not familiar with the area, I hope these images entice you to visit. Please feel free to C&C, and I thank you for looking.

Best wishes,
       Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Jens Peermann

Re: An Afternoon on the Gunpowder River
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »

Keep up the good work!

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: An Afternoon on the Gunpowder River