Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus Stacking  (Read 4962 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Focus Stacking
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 09:29:04 am »

Bernard (or anyone else), could you elaborate on your process at the camera and in post when combining stitching and focus stacking? I haven't yet experimented with the combination, but I've been thinking about it.

Start of with the information on the site of heliconsoft et al...
then start practicing, then let me (us) know what you would like to know...

A lot of these techniques have little problems that you have to encounter first yourself to know what the problem is.

One is that if you make more than 1 photo- the moving subjects are no longer in position.
So I can understand Bernard had a problem with his last example- or there was no wind...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 09:58:25 am »

Bernard (or anyone else), could you elaborate on your process at the camera and in post when combining stitching and focus stacking? I haven't yet experimented with the combination, but I've been thinking about it.

Hi Stephen,

In principle it's pretty straightforward. Just take multiple images with the camera on tripod of a motionless subject, with bracketed focus distance settings. For some software it matters that the brackets are progressively in sequence, i.e. from near to far focus or the reverse. Other software will figure it out by itself, but I think it helps to use a predictable sequence, also if you need to retouch something later in the workflow.

Then select a stacking software, some use Photoshop, but that's a memory hog and also very slow, and you have virtually no control over the processs. That's why there are 2 very popular applications being used for serious work, Helicon Focus (which was the first robust solution that was available, and is therefore used a lot in scientific photography), and Zerene Stacker which came later to market and offers somewhat similar functionality. Both are very good and offer a number of workflow benefits and controls.

Heliconsoft also offers an application called HeliconRemote, which can automate a lot of the capture process (there is even an Android and iOS app available for phone and tablet), and it integrates well with HeliconFocus. The demo version works with small JPEG images, so you can try that for testing with your camera even if the Raw format is not supported.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:09:34 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 03:43:27 pm »

Generally if a landscape composition has a prominent and interesting foreground it is best to focus there and let the focus fade naturally into the background if tilt is not available.
Why would tilt make it different? To me it seems it’s basically an artistic decision whether to use selective focus or whether to get everything sharp. I’ve shot using tilt and compared the same shot with high depth of field and focus stacking, and really there isn’t much difference.

As a past portrait photographer I think selective focus was pretty important. Other types of shooters also use it very effectively.  Lots of reasons people loved that fast Leica glass and shot wide open.

Now that I do only landscape work, I tend to want everything sharp because anything not sharp to me is unnatural.  We don’t see “out of focus”, at least not without some real effort.  Certainly, there are exceptions, such as your description of a prominent and interesting foreground, so artistic choice of leaving the background soft can be very effective.  To me the opposite doesn’t work very often, if the shot is about the overall view, leaving the foreground blurry usually doesn’t cut it - looks unnatural. so if I can’t use tilt I will focus stack.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »

Hi Matt,

Yes, it adds a sense of hyper-realism, probably because we subconsciously need to (re-)focus our eyes at several distances to mentally composite the whole scene in focus. With a focus stacked image we see everything in focus , at the same eye-focus distance (the picture).

Cheers,
Bart
true.  but I suppose pretty much all photography is sort of hyper realism anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up