Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D and dust  (Read 3861 times)

Andrew W

• http://
5D and dust
« on: April 22, 2006, 02:28:33 pm »

In Michaels initial field report he stated that the 5D seemed to collect a lot of dust. Can anyone comment on the amount of sensor cleaning is required with this body compared to others?

Thanks

Andrew
[span style='color:green'][span style='f

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
5D and dust
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 03:04:50 pm »

I've had a 5D for 3 weeks and have encountered no sensor problems (or viewfinder problems for that matter). Yes, I even shot the sky at F16 a few times to make sure and used various primes and zooms in Hawaii trade winds.

However I have read rumblings on the net about an early production run having industrial leavings in the mirror box, thus leading to dirty sensors and viewfinders out of the box. It seems with use the leavings work their way out of nooks and crannies leaving hundreds of particles eveywhere. Some of the owners sent their bodies to Canon for cleaning only to have hundreds of particles dislodge during transit.

I suspect Canon fitxed the industrial leavings problems in later units as mine is fine.

In Michaels initial field report he stated that the 5D seemed to collect a lot of dust. Can anyone comment on the amount of sensor cleaning is required with this body compared to others?

Thanks

Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

jd1566

5D and dust
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:57:47 am »

Hello,
I've worked with the 10D, the 20D and now the 5D.  My experience has been that with each digital camera the dust problem has gotten worse.  Please note though that I don't find it a serious issue.. Every so often I will clean with a blower brush, and after a particularly dusty period use a sensor swab with eclipse fluid to clean it better.  The sensor is never 100% clean, but clean enough.  
I think the dust issue is worse on the 5D because of a thinner sensor glass, which means that particles are closer to the actual sensor, and when working with small apertures dust immediately can be seen.  A bit of clone tool does the trick.

What this means is that we as photographers need to be more careful with dust.  Cheaper lenses that are not sealed will let in particles, and changing lenses often in a dusty environment will exacebate the problem..

Still, I wouldn't get too uptight about it.. it's only dust...
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

thecapturedlight

5D and dust
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 12:41:41 pm »

I have the 5D since January and unfortunately have indeed more dust problems than with other cameras (EOS 350D, Sigma SD10). Also the dust is harder to remove for some reason.

The problem however doesn't interfere with my work too much, except more regular cleaning sessions, and I wouldn't give up this camera for gold.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
5D and dust
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 06:25:40 pm »

I have the 5D since January and unfortunately have indeed more dust problems than with other cameras (EOS 350D, Sigma SD10). Also the dust is harder to remove for some reason.

The problem however doesn't interfere with my work too much, except more regular cleaning sessions, and I wouldn't give up this camera for gold.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree 100%.

My chain-of-custody went from Digital Rebel (300D) to 10D to 20D to 5D.

Compared to the others, the 5D attracts more dust and is a bitch to clean effectively.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:46:17 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Sune Wendelboe

5D and dust
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:26:21 pm »

I've spent some time on this issue. firstly I was using the 1Ds Mk II seing the worst dust balls ever - tumble weeds. They cleaned out easily. Got the 5D and saw little specks from time to time - while travelling the San Blas Archipelago in Panamá - extraordinarily easy to get dust on your sensor in that sandy salty environment. Got a bit of dust - not much - but the visible dust bruhs fixed it.

Then I went to Chile near the Cape of Horn on a job. Got a few specks and tried the sensor 8mm brush from the same company. Got the worst oily smears all over the sensor - which I noticed the night after that perfect shoot out on the frigid slippery glacier during an autumn storm!!! The sensor had sucked stuff from a brand new brush. It might have been the Danish customs fiddling with that strange expensive airmail brush, it might have been the oily residue "left on some cameras baffles" getting in touch with the 150$ brush (all things are relly relative I guess, thats just plain stupid VD)

I'm constantly planning new travels, editing iteneraries, attracting customers, catching up on the soft ware releases etc.  I don't need to spend my time on stupid non announced sensor vs. baffle issues absolutely noninteresting for photography.

Would anybody respecting their customers behave like Canon Nikon etc. have the liberty of ding now?

Conclusion?
I'm not sure my 5D behaves worse than the 1Ds Mk II, im just positively sure that this issue is a waste of time. Grow up Canon, fix it. Lets get back to our jobs (not electrical engineering)

Sincerely
Sune Wendelboe, photographer
www.globalphotographic.net
hmmmmpr

matt4626

5D and dust
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:14:47 pm »

Just sent my two week old 5D to Canon to have the viewfinder cleaned. I removed the focusing screen and tried everything from a blower to PEC pads..no luck. Sensor hasn't been a problem so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up