Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best A3 poster printer  (Read 4038 times)

FINIX

Best A3 poster printer
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:31:48 am »

Hi all, I need to print a few posters each month for work. I'd like them similar quality/feel/look to a movie poster or business flyer. Here's how I'd describe a general movie poster:

• Thin but strong 100-170gsm paper (seems to be uncoated).
  • Slight sheen (not matte or gloss)
  • Smooth (not textured like some satin papers)
  • Good color range.
  • Water resistant.

What A3/large format printer could I buy to get the above prints? Are these posters/flyers getting their slight sheen from the paper, or pigment inks used?

I thought they may be using a laser printer/toner on uncoated paper but can lasers produce high quality resolution pictures like those for a movie and above A4 size?

I'm really stumped as to how these posters are made as they look like inkjet dye colors but my Epson dye/inkjet bleeds on all papers that aren't thick and coated.

howardm

Re: Best A3 poster printer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:10:31 am »

it shouldn't be that hard to find a 170 weight coated paper that fits your needs along w/ a Epson P600 or so.  A3 isn't that large (11x17 US equiv).  You may find it in a wider size, on rolls which would require cutting.  Companies. like lexjet.com offer a wide range of printing materials and I'd guess there are equiv. dealers/papers available in your region.

FINIX

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:26:37 am »

it shouldn't be that hard to find a 170 weight coated paper that fits your needs

Alas that's why I'm here. All the posters I find are thin, ultra smooth, vibrant and water resistant. Paper for inkjet dye is photo glossy matte or textured thick stuff.

Wondering what printers the poster/flyer guys are using as it doesn't seem to be inkjet/dye.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 01:11:07 pm »

While I know you aren't in the UK would any of these d?

http://www.photopaperdirect.com/categories/Creative-Paper/shopby/a3/

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:08:56 am »

Those posters are printed on a colour offset press, they aren't photographic prints at all.

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »

Those posters are printed on a colour offset press, they aren't photographic prints at all.

There is nothing un-photographic about offset printing. How do you think photographs appear in books and magazines?

Brian A

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »

If you want stock that isn't inkjet coated, which is the only way you will get that slight sheen of magazine type paper, then you would probably have to go with a color laser printer that does 11" x 17". They are only four color: CYMK, but should do fine for what you want. Local print shops can usually do these for less than US$1 each. taples, for example charges 98¢.

I print posters on Canon Coated Matte 170 g/m² and Canon Satin 170 g/m² roll paper on Epson printers. Satin is probably as close as you will get to that low gloss sheen you are after.

Using an inkjet printer with uncoated stock gives very poor, washed out results.

For four or five a month, you are much better outsourcing.

Brian A

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:13:07 am »

There is nothing un-photographic about offset printing.

I didn't mean it like that, I just meant it's neither light sensitive photographic paper or inkjet paper.
It's paper that's been through a printing press.

Petrus

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:34:08 am »

I didn't mean it like that, I just meant it's neither light sensitive photographic paper or inkjet paper.
It's paper that's been through a printing press.

And they certainly are not high resolution at all compared to "real" photographic prints.

FINIX

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 06:31:41 am »

Thanks all, what do you guys think about cast coated paper? I've heard it described as smooth, less glossy than resin-coated, and compatible with an inkjet.

If you want stock that isn't inkjet coated, which is the only way you will get that slight sheen of magazine type paper, then you would probably have to go with a color laser printer
Would the laser printers get there sheen from the toner or the paper? i.e. if I print on matte paper will they still have a slight gloss?

hugowolf

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 01:16:39 pm »

Thanks all, what do you guys think about cast coated paper? I've heard it described as smooth, less glossy than resin-coated, and compatible with an inkjet.

Maybe, but how compatible? It could work, but not well. The silica based inkjet coating is designed to limit dot gain, limit penetration into the paper, and aid drying speed.

Would the laser printers get there sheen from the toner or the paper? i.e. if I print on matte paper will they still have a slight gloss?

Go to a local instant print place and get a poster made on glossy (it isn't very glossy) and matte.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up