Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuba?  (Read 1290 times)

jeremyrh

Cuba?
« on: December 26, 2015, 05:32:48 am »

In March/April I will be following Michael's advice and visiting Cuba before the hordes arrive and it changes forever (maybe too late, but that's life). It will be a family holiday so photography will be squeezed in round the edges. I have absorbed Nick Devlin's excellent article about Havana (though not to the extent of limiting myself to a monochrome Leica - not least because I can't afford one), but I'm wondering what other places folk have visited and recommend?

Also any other travel tips for Cuba - photo-specific or otherwise? (e.g. is it practical to travel around in a rented car?)

Vladimir Steblina

Re: Cuba?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:24:43 pm »

I went to the Soviet Union in 1976. I really did not have a focus for my photographs, but looking back I should have paid more attention to the Communist state. The failures of Communism were quite evident. But in 1976, those that were never there thought that history was on the side of the Soviet Union. In my photographs, I really did not take enough pictures of the Communist state. And now it is gone!

I have photo's of people walking around with placards on their chest. It was an apartment exchange on Saturday morning in Kiev. I missed photo's of a huge apartment complex with a hand operated water pump in the courtyard. The signs announcing separate shopping hours for Communist party members at the stores. Everybody got pictures of the empty shops!!

But I almost took photo's of arrival in the Soviet Union and crossing customs with the Soviet Army.  Or leaving, when the Soviet Army browbeat and stole money from a 80 year old Irish professor. I am not sure what would have happened if I took photo's of those crossings.

The same thing will happen in Cuba. You will always be able to go back and capture the natural landscapes and people of Cuba.  That will not change. However, that unique span of time that Cuba was under a Communist dictatorship will be gone. Given the censorship and restraints on photography this period of time represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to get it down on photographs.

Last shot, will be North Korea. But nobody knows how quickly that will play out.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:31:43 pm by Vladimir Steblina »
Retired Forester....rambling round
www.usbackroads.blogspot.com

david loble

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »

Jeremy,

I returned from my second photo trip to Cuba on Dec 19 but it has taken until now to catch up with your post. I suppose the first two pieces of advice to give anyone is 1) Don't buy cigars on the street and 2) Don't change money on the street. #2 probably applies mostly to traveler with US$. There are two non-bank resources for CUCs from US$ that I have used and if you PM me I will give you their names. Also PM if you want the name of a wonderful English speaking Cuban who might be available to guide you about.

You know what?  I know I will not finish this in the allotted time and I don't remember how to extend that time. I'll PM you with some thoughts.
But first, I'm not so sure that Cuba is ready for independent travel by rental car. There is not much tourist infrastructure in place.

David

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:21:34 am »

But I almost took photo's of arrival in the Soviet Union and crossing customs with the Soviet Army.  Or leaving, when the Soviet Army browbeat and stole money from a 80 year old Irish professor. I am not sure what would have happened if I took photo's of those crossings.
you 'd learn that "Soviet Army" were in fact KGB Border Troops... you 'd not call US Border Patrol a US Army ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up