Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laserjet vs P600 vs P800 vs R3000 vs R3880  (Read 3303 times)

TheLastOfUs

Laserjet vs P600 vs P800 vs R3000 vs R3880
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time dedicated user of laser jets since I was young. I used to do inkjets...realized they would run out of ink way too fast printing school documents..so I naturally went laserjet and never looked back. I always thought they were superior in terms of fast prints, and lesser cost of ink not to mention better looking in terms of color...(maybe back then they were - talking around 2004-2007). Users of inkjets back then feel free to correct me! I was just a kid.

Now turns out I'm older, trying more things with my digital SLR camera...and realize Laserjet is completely awful for photos. The prints lose absolute details in the blacks, color varies sometimes depending on how many documents I print in a row, and it doesn't look similar to my calibrated monitor in terms of translating the color space (Adobe RGB) to the CMYK. Then I realize that all along apparently Inkjets are more superior for photo development and photo purposes....

My first question - why? Why are inkjets so advanced in this regard and laser printers suffering and being almost virtually the same cost? Is laser meant for heavy-duty print jobs in terms of clerical and inkjets just developed on trying to get high quality press photos in the home? Just intrigues me from a learning standpoint and hope anyone wise here can provide me an explanation as to the different development cycles of inkjets.

Question 2:  I am looking for a printer that handles photos and mostly black and white prints. I am looking towards R3000 or R3880 only to find out these amazing printers have been discontinued! Now I'm not sure what P600 and P800 are supposed to effectively replace....but if anyone can clarify for me I'd appreciate it.

P600 vs P800 makes little sense to me. P600 prints at a maximum dpi of 5760 x 1440 dpi (with no 2860x1440dpi option) whereas the more expensive P800 only at 2880x1440 dpi with no 5760x1440 option. Uhm....am I missing something here? Why does the lesser expensive P600 have a higher dpi capability? And which one should I get? I was leaning towards the R3880 INITIALLY but now it seems I want the P600 (though I was aiming for P800 before this initially). Now I'm not sure at all and totally lost.

Thank you!

TLOU

hugowolf

Re: Laserjet vs P600 vs P800 vs R3000 vs R3880
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:23:41 pm »

My first question - why? Why are inkjets so advanced in this regard and laser printers suffering and being almost virtually the same cost? Is laser meant for heavy-duty print jobs in terms of clerical and inkjets just developed on trying to get high quality press photos in the home? Just intrigues me from a learning standpoint and hope anyone wise here can provide me an explanation as to the different development cycles of inkjets.
There are several reasons why more R&D has gone into inkjets for photographic printing:

I don't think I have ever seen a color laser printer that did more than CMYK, whereas I have seen inkjet printers with 12 colors. It gets really complicated with each additional color you add to a laser, especially aligning (registering) each of the colors. Laser is more like offset printing, where each color is added one after the other. There are difficulties getting smooth gradients with laser too. And many other reasons that limit the advancement of lasers for photographic printing, including resolution.

Inkjet printers aren't just for 'high quality press photos in the home'. The highest end custom photo labs use inkjet technology. Large volume snapshot printers like wallmark are moving to dry lab (inkjet) instead of wet chem processes (when they aren't closing down the photo dept).

Question 2:  I am looking for a printer that handles photos and mostly black and white prints. I am looking towards R3000 or R3880 only to find out these amazing printers have been discontinued! Now I'm not sure what P600 and P800 are supposed to effectively replace....but if anyone can clarify for me I'd appreciate it.
The SureColor P600 replaces the R3000 and the SC P800 replaces the Pro 3880.

P600 vs P800 makes little sense to me. P600 prints at a maximum dpi of 5760 x 1440 dpi (with no 2860x1440dpi option) whereas the more expensive P800 only at 2880x1440 dpi with no 5760x1440 option. Uhm....am I missing something here? Why does the lesser expensive P600 have a higher dpi capability? And which one should I get? I was leaning towards the R3880 INITIALLY but now it seems I want the P600 (though I was aiming for P800 before this initially). Now I'm not sure at all and totally lost.

It was the same with the R3000 vs the Pro 3880, the R3000 had a higher available resolution. It isn't all about output  resolution. I rarely print at 2880 dpi either of my printers, most usually at 1440 dpi. On the higher quality fine art papers I usually print with, 2880 dpi produces worse results than 1440. The resulting resolution on the paper is not as good.

The P600 is limited to 13" paper widths, the P800 is a 17" (A2) printer.

The P800 has larger capacity 80 ml cartridges, which translates to lower ink costs per unit volume.

There are lots more things to consider between the two.

Brian A

TheLastOfUs

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:59:42 pm »

Thanks Brian

P800 it is. I just noticed that it has 80 ml cartridges and supports that 17" width I frequently like printing my photos at for big pieces.

I'm glad you explained how great R&D with inkjets are and the caveats with laser technology in terms of predictable results with photos. It all makes so much sense.

Thank you. If anyone else would like to add on inkjet development and why it's better than laserjet, etc. Please do!

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 02:32:59 am »

The P800 also has an accessory roll feed so you can print roll paper up to 15 metres long!!

I have the P800 with roll feed and I'm very pleased with it.

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6
Pages: [1]   Go Up