Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who has successfully switch from Lr/Ps to CO and Affinity Photo? How did it go?  (Read 3474 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller

I'm pretty actively working with Capture One Pro 9 and Affinity Photo 1.4 to see if they are a viable replacement for Lightroom and Photoshop in my case.

There are bumps, and a lack of familiarity, but I'm finding my way along and have learned the CO/Photo approach to things and can replicate or improve upon Lr/Ps in many cases, so far.

Who else is on this same road?

What are you finding as the tough spots to get over and around?

Have you found the switch feasible for you?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

r010159

Sorry if this is off topic, but it is related to Affinity Photo. How so I download and install the most recent update? Or do I have to repurchase the application?

PS Yes, I know this is a silly question to some.

Bob

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller

Sorry if this is off topic, but it is related to Affinity Photo. How so I download and install the most recent update? Or do I have to repurchase the application?

I assume you bought it from the Mac App Store? If so, you can go there and update it.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

jamesconkle

I downloaded the trial and gave it 14 days to convince me to switch. Really for what I use, dodging / burning along with some cloning it shouldn't have been a problem to switch. But even after 2 weeks I still wasn't nearly as fast with the layout and functions. I'll probably give it another try as that shouldn't be the only reason not to switch.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com

I'm pretty actively working with Capture One Pro 9 and Affinity Photo 1.4 to see if they are a viable replacement for Lightroom and Photoshop in my case.

There are bumps, and a lack of familiarity, but I'm finding my way along and have learned the CO/Photo approach to things and can replicate or improve upon Lr/Ps in many cases, so far.

Who else is on this same road?

What are you finding as the tough spots to get over and around?

Have you found the switch feasible for you?

I've was a LR users since the pre-public beta. I was also a Canon pro DSLRs shooter then up until I purchased my first Fuji X camera 4 years ago. I have since sold all of my Canon gear and have used Fuji-X cameras and XF lenses exclusively for the past 3 years.

That said, I wasn't very happy with the LR results for Fuji RAW processing. I started using Capture One Pro at version 8. At version 9, I switched over completely from LR-CC. I converted my LR catalog of 145k+ images shot over the past 15 years to C1P catalogs.

The last piece needed was a replacement for Photoshop so that I could ditch my Creative Cloud subscription. I found this in Affinity Photo, now at version 1.5. After a 2 month test, I finally canceled my Creative Cloud subscription about 4 months ago.

Most of my image adjustments are done with C1P 10's powerful tools. For my occasional more advanced image manipulation needs, Affinity Photo is more than capable. The only thing that I do not like about Affinity Photo is that when I save layered TIFs, only Affinity Photo can open the file and have the layers in tact. Using other programs to open the file results in a flattened TIF. Fortunately for me, that's not a big deal at the moment.

Overall, I've very happy with the C1P pairing with Affinity Photo to produce the highest quality results without a mandatory subscription paid to Adobe.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Dinarius

Bud,

I have avoided the subscription route so far.

But, what are you getting now that Photoshop CS6 wouldn't have - I'm still using it. But, my PS is minimal.

Thanks.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up