Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 45mm Ts-e alternative  (Read 9360 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: 45mm Ts-e alternative
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 05:44:57 am »

Interesting way of looking at it Dave but wouldn't the compression be different as on the Sony you're still using 24mm although cropping in.

Sorry, I meant 2x for the crop not 1.5x..

Yes there would be a slight compressional difference I suppose, but at these relatively wide angles it would be negligible in the final cropped image and you can of course zoom in or out with your feet to compensate if need be.

I just thought this idea would give you what you want relatively easily and quickly and by utilising the 24mm TS-E lens you already have, which is about as good a TS-E lens as you can ever hope to own and by cropping into the frame, it will be as sharp as it is possible to get with any lens that has ever been made. And of course you also then have a high quality back up system that is equivalent to medium format in quality, that can also be used to easily convert your 24mm to a 43mm and a 66mm with little effort and as a bonus, you can double the length of all your other lenses by cropping if you so wish.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:49:02 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

CptZar

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 02:27:20 am »

Yes, it seems that Hartblei moved to Germany but the lenses stayed back in Ukraine... I would pick one out of E-bay if I was in your position... All reviews I ever read for it seem to praise the lens highly (there is one here at Lula too http://luminous-landscape.com/hartblei-superrotator/ )... I also think that one can rotate the shift and the tilt independently to each other, so one should be able to have the mechanisms working at the same axis or at 90 degs depending on the scene requirement... Mind you that other than lens praised for its quality, its image circle is originally made for 6x6 film, so using it on a 35mm DSLR should be completely trouble free as one would never "see" the edges and corners... (no vignetting at all, no serious drop in resolution)

A common misunderstanding.

There is Hartblei from the Ukraine with some critical reviews and there is Hartblei-Zeiss which is probably the best 40 mm TS lens around. Check http://hartblei.de or hcam.de

Cheers

CptZar

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:58 am »

Would it not be easier and not that much more expensive, to buy the A7rII and use your 24mm TS-E with a Metabones adapter, then crop into the file at 1.5x to get an approximately similar output resolution to what you would get with the 5D MkIII and the TS-E 45? It would probably be much sharper than the TS-E 45 as well, as you will be mostly retaining only the pixels shot through the central sweet spot of the 24's front element.

You could also use your 1.4x with the above set up at a 1.5x crop factor, to get a file equivalent to a 66mm TS-E lens on the 5D MkIII.

Dave

UPDATE: I meant 2x for cropping, not 1.5x - oops..!

Correct. So you all you need is a 24mm and 80mm TS lens and a 1.4 extender which is optically much better than the 2.0.

This will give you with APS-C (x1.6) 38mm and 128mm.

Using the Extender you will get 53mm or 179mm. And the quality will excellent.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janzander/23120623379/in/datetaken/

This image was taken with a Canon 17mm TS and a Sony A7IIr in APS-C Crop mode. It has been tilted and shifted. It has not been cropped in post production.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 03:17:16 am »

... some time ago i compared the canon extender 1.4 version 2 against the version 3. Meanwhile there was a noticable difference in favourvof the v3 with longer lenses, with the 24 and 17tse the older v2 design was better. Sharper and less CA. It shows some barrel distortion, but in a very simple form and because the extender distortion doesnt move in the frame because it doesnt shift, easy to correct.
But: A good nominal shift lense is still better. 35 pc contax and 120mm hartblei zeiss e.g. ...
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Kaypee

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:50 pm »

Correct. So you all you need is a 24mm and 80mm TS lens and a 1.4 extender which is optically much better than the 2.0.

This will give you with APS-C (x1.6) 38mm and 128mm.

Using the Extender you will get 53mm or 179mm. And the quality will excellent.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janzander/23120623379/in/datetaken/

This image was taken with a Canon 17mm TS and a Sony A7IIr in APS-C Crop mode. It has been tilted and shifted. It has not been cropped in post production.

Nice shot. Can I ask what sharpening you did in post?

CptZar

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 04:08:28 am »

... some time ago i compared the canon extender 1.4 version 2 against the version 3. Meanwhile there was a noticable difference in favourvof the v3 with longer lenses, with the 24 and 17tse the older v2 design was better. Sharper and less CA. It shows some barrel distortion, but in a very simple form and because the extender distortion doesnt move in the frame because it doesnt shift, easy to correct.
But: A good nominal shift lense is still better. 35 pc contax and 120mm hartblei zeiss e.g. ...

Hi Rainer,

Absolutely right. But.. with the A7rII you don't need the extender in most cases any more. The APS-C mode lets you frame precisely the image and image size is still around 24Mp, even with enough headroom for a crop. What I mean is trading of a neglectable quality loss vs weight. You know the TS lenses are very heavy. Using APS-C mode, and if really necessary a 1.4 extender, it reduces the carry on weight drastically. 2 TS lenses with extender and the whole world of TS photography opens to you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:29:08 am by CptZar »

CptZar

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 04:20:56 am »

Nice shot. Can I ask what sharpening you did in post?

Thank you!

The wood in front has an Radial Filter overlay with Clarity 11 and sharpening 13. Same goes for the lighted cliff in the back. Other than that there is no sharpening. I only use local adjustments. They give much better control by only adjusting what is absolutely necessary.

Cheers

Theodoros

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 06:41:19 am »

A common misunderstanding.

There is Hartblei from the Ukraine with some critical reviews and there is Hartblei-Zeiss which is probably the best 40 mm TS lens around. Check http://hartblei.de or hcam.de

Cheers

Thanks for clearing the misunderstanding out! My recommendation is obviously for the Ukrainian lens (for which the very positive reviews apply), which I suspect should be quite quite cheaper to the 40mm Harblei-Zeiss lens...

As for using an extender with T-S lenses, my experience is quite positive with this... I use a Kenko DGX 1.4x with my Nikkor 85mm PC lens quite often (in fact I use it more with the extender attached than not) and it seems a great combination if combined with movements...

Kaypee

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 07:23:42 am »

Thank you!

The wood in front has an Radial Filter overlay with Clarity 11 and sharpening 13. Same goes for the lighted cliff in the back. Other than that there is no sharpening. I only use local adjustments. They give much better control by only adjusting what is absolutely necessary.

Cheers

Thanks. Are you using Lightroom for those?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up