Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 45mm Ts-e alternative  (Read 9359 times)

Kaypee

45mm Ts-e alternative
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:45:08 am »

The reviews of the 45ts-e seem pretty poor and there seems no sign of an upgrade. I can live with the 24mm with the 1.4 converter but that leaves a large gap up to the 90mm tse.

Can anyone recommend a solution between 40 & 50mm? It's for shooting architecture and interiors on a 5Diii.

Thanks
KP

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: 45mm Ts-e alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:24:31 am »

Hasselblad/Zeiss 50/4 FLE + t/s adapter (MiREX)

DCW

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 10:26:25 am »

Been looking for same solution - tried the Pentax FA 45 with Kipon adapter. Poor corner performance and nowhere as good as the 24+ 1.4 at 33mm. From some posts here the Hassleblad 50 FLE w shift adapter looks better but haven't seen any samples to confirm. There's always the Schneider 50 PC for $2400 or so used to bide time till Canon upgrades the 45TS E. I think Rainier (who posts here) currently has the newer Pentax 55 FA in use with the Sony- not sure about manually setting aperture as its all auto. Let us know if you find any undiscovered gems.

Borealis

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:31:10 pm »

I think you can get an adapter to mount Nikon Glass. I'm very happy with my Nikon PC-e 45 mm. I did not like the 24 PC-e, my sample was not sharp enough across the frame not anywhere near as good as the 45 is.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 02:10:28 pm »

Hi,

I am using the HCam Master TSII with Hasselblad lenses. I have the 40/4 CF FLE, 60/3.5 CF, 100/3.5 CF, 120/4 CFi and 180/4 CFi. So far only tested the lenses with tilt. With shifts, I a pretty sure the 40/4 CF FLE has limitations, but the 60/3.5 CF shows great promise. I did have the 50/4 CF/FLE and I would think it would work well, too.

I am considering a Pentax 645 45-85 zoom.

Best regards
Erik

Hasselblad/Zeiss 50/4 FLE + t/s adapter (MiREX)
Erik Kaffehr

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 03:28:42 pm »

I have the pentax 55fa with a kipom shift adapter. Aperture can be set manually, the lense is good corrected and very sharp. I also have a newer hassy 50mm, very good too but i usually take the pentax.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Kaypee

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:55 pm »

I have the pentax 55fa with a kipom shift adapter. Aperture can be set manually, the lense is good corrected and very sharp. I also have a newer hassy 50mm, very good too but i usually take the pentax.

I think the Pentax plus adapter probably comes in at the same price as the 45 tse. Rainer have you ever tried the 45mm? I would be interested to hear if there is any significant difference. I'm hovering on buying the 45mm but I'm reluctant to spend £1000 on a lens with a questionable IV.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 09:22:16 pm »

I can see no aperture ring in photos of the Pentax 55mm FA lens. Also, not seeing any Kipon Pentax MF or Hasselblad to Sony E mt shift adapters online. Are you using adapters to get to a Canon mount and then using an additional adapter to get to Sony Nex mount?

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 02:05:10 am »

Sorry, you are right! I dont have the fa version, i use the older manual 55mm. Than a kipon shift 645-eos adapter and this on a mirex shift eos-e adapter. So i have two shift layers. one vertical, one horizontal. I use the 75mm pentax as well, this is the fe version.
I had some time the 45fe too, but this was less sharp with more ca, but still much better than the canon 45 tse, which i rate as unusable.
I have a contax 35mm pce lense, and for me the 55mm is a good next length, followed by 75 and 120 ( hasselblad ).
Best
rainer
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Kaypee

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 06:01:58 am »

Sorry, you are right! I dont have the fa version, i use the older manual 55mm. Than a kipon shift 645-eos adapter and this on a mirex shift eos-e adapter. So i have two shift layers. one vertical, one horizontal. I use the 75mm pentax as well, this is the fe version.
I had some time the 45fe too, but this was less sharp with more ca, but still much better than the canon 45 tse, which i rate as unusable.
I have a contax 35mm pce lense, and for me the 55mm is a good next length, followed by 75 and 120 ( hasselblad ).
Best
rainer

Could you tell me the model name of the manual focus Pentax?

RobSuch

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 06:25:06 am »

Is the Nikon 45mm pce lens distortion easily correctible?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 06:34:34 am »

Sorry, you are right! I dont have the fa version, i use the older manual 55mm. Than a kipon shift 645-eos adapter and this on a mirex shift eos-e adapter. So i have two shift layers. one vertical, one horizontal.

Hi Rainer,

I understand what you are doing, but I'm not clear on the adapters. From the description it sounds like two P645 to EOS converting adapters, used in a stack, but I don't see how that would work. Once converted from P645 to EOS you already have an EOS mount.

So could you spell it out for me:
1. Lens is e.g. Pentax 55mm f/ ??
2. Pentax 645 lens to EOS shift adapter is a Kipon ??? model
3. This is mounted on the body mounted Mirex Tilt and Shift adapter, for Pentax 645 lenses to EOS mount.

Two adapters will also create too much extension, so no infinity focus any more. There is obviously something I am misinterpreting ...

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Have you ever tried the PC-TS SUPER-ANGULON 2.8/50 HM ? It gets an excellent (unshifted) score at LenScore.org, but I remember some negative comments as well (not only price).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 09:35:58 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 09:00:27 am »

Hi Bart,

One way to do this is to use a HCam Master TS on a Sony A7xxx, this gives the Sony a Canon EF mount that can be shifted/tilted 15mm/11 deg. Another adapter Mirex or Kipon can added to the HCam.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Rainer,

I understand what you are doing, but I'm not clear on the adapters. From the description it sounds like two P645 to EOS converting adapters, used in a stack, but I don't see how that would work. Once converted from P645 to EOS you already have an EOS mount.

So could you spell it out for me:
1. Lens is e.g. Pentax 55mm f/ ??
2. Pentax 645 lens to EOS shift adapter is a Kipon ??? model
3. This is mounted on the body mounted Mirex Tilt and Shift adapter, for Pentax 645 lenses to EOS mount.

Two adapters will also create too much extension, so no infinity focus any more. There is obviously something I am misinterpreting ...

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 09:10:36 am »

The reviews of the 45ts-e seem pretty poor and there seems no sign of an upgrade. I can live with the 24mm with the 1.4 converter but that leaves a large gap up to the 90mm tse.

Can anyone recommend a solution between 40 & 50mm? It's for shooting architecture and interiors on a 5Diii.

Thanks
KP
I would suggest the Hartblei 45mm f3.5 super rotator MF lens with an adapter as to use it on Canon (it's availiable in Contax 645 & Mamiya M645/P1 mounts), never tested one, but it has a reputation for being excellent across the frame and the image circle is even wider...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 09:48:48 am »

One way to do this is to use a HCam Master TS on a Sony A7xxx, this gives the Sony a Canon EF mount that can be shifted/tilted 15mm/11 deg. Another adapter Mirex or Kipon can added to the HCam.

Hi Erik,

Yes, I'm aware of it, but the whole construction doesn't look too compact, and is not really cheap. It also seems to be not Arca Swiss rail oriented but rather based on the Novoflex Rail system. I'm not looking for yet another rail system. I'm very happy with my RSS based modular mounting system.

But thanks for mentioning it, it may help others.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 11:09:12 am »

Hi Bart,

The Novoflex part is an option. You can buy the HCam without a rail system. There is a tripod foot on the HCam that is also a Novoflex plate, and that plate doesn't fit any RRS QR-adapters that I have tried.

But, the tripod foot is just a base plate, I use it with QR-plate from Hejnar, that is RRS compatible:

Personally, I have bought a lot of stuff from Hejnarphoto, mostly because they ship with US Postal Services, which saves me handling costs, customs and sales tax (Mehwertsteuer).

Originally, I used it with a Photodiox adapter, but found that it was quite crappy, so I bought a quite expensive Novoflex adapter, from Canon to Hasselblad V-mount.

Here are my postings about it: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56810-hcam-master-tsii-sony-a7rii.html

Here is a Q&D picture of it in my bag, the two lenses alongside are the Canon 24/3.5TSE LII and the Sony 70-400/4-5.6G

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

Yes, I'm aware of it, but the whole construction doesn't look too compact, and is not really cheap. It also seems to be not Arca Swiss rail oriented but rather based on the Novoflex Rail system. I'm not looking for yet another rail system. I'm very happy with my RSS based modular mounting system.

But thanks for mentioning it, it may help others.

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

Kaypee

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »

I would suggest the Hartblei 45mm f3.5 super rotator MF lens with an adapter as to use it on Canon (it's availiable in Contax 645 & Mamiya M645/P1 mounts), never tested one, but it has a reputation for being excellent across the frame and the image circle is even wider...

Just had a look for one of these and can't seem to find it on the Hartblei site. Are they easy to pick up? There seem a few on eBay.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 05:23:37 pm »

Would it not be easier and not that much more expensive, to buy the A7rII and use your 24mm TS-E with a Metabones adapter, then crop into the file at 1.5x to get an approximately similar output resolution to what you would get with the 5D MkIII and the TS-E 45? It would probably be much sharper than the TS-E 45 as well, as you will be mostly retaining only the pixels shot through the central sweet spot of the 24's front element.

You could also use your 1.4x with the above set up at a 1.5x crop factor, to get a file equivalent to a 66mm TS-E lens on the 5D MkIII.

Dave

UPDATE: I meant 2x for cropping, not 1.5x - oops..!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:31:50 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Theodoros

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 06:46:59 pm »

Just had a look for one of these and can't seem to find it on the Hartblei site. Are they easy to pick up? There seem a few on eBay.

Yes, it seems that Hartblei moved to Germany but the lenses stayed back in Ukraine... I would pick one out of E-bay if I was in your position... All reviews I ever read for it seem to praise the lens highly (there is one here at Lula too http://luminous-landscape.com/hartblei-superrotator/ )... I also think that one can rotate the shift and the tilt independently to each other, so one should be able to have the mechanisms working at the same axis or at 90 degs depending on the scene requirement... Mind you that other than lens praised for its quality, its image circle is originally made for 6x6 film, so using it on a 35mm DSLR should be completely trouble free as one would never "see" the edges and corners... (no vignetting at all, no serious drop in resolution)

Kaypee

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 04:11:51 am »

Would it not be easier and not that much more expensive, to buy the A7rII and use your 24mm TS-E with a Metabones adapter, then crop into the file at 1.5x to get an approximately similar output resolution to what you would get with the 5D MkIII and the TS-E 45? It would probably be much sharper than the TS-E 45 as well, as you will be mostly retaining only the pixels shot through the central sweet spot of the 24's front element.

You could also use your 1.4x with the above set up at a 1.5x crop factor, to get a file equivalent to a 66mm TS-E lens on the 5D MkIII.

Dave
Interesting way of looking at it Dave but wouldn't the compression be different as on the Sony you're still using 24mm although cropping in.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up