Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "f8 and be there" quote  (Read 4196 times)

Zorki5

• AOLib
The "f8 and be there" quote
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:18:46 am »

It is attributed to Arthur "Weegee" Fellig, but I could not find any definite proof of that... Moreover, the Wikipedia article on him has this:

Most of his notable photographs were taken with very basic press photographer equipment and methods of the era, a 4x5 Speed Graphic camera preset at f/16 at 1/200 of a second, with flashbulbs and a set focus distance of ten feet.

citing this book. And no mention of an arguably the most famous photographic quote, which I find... remarkable.

So is attribution of the "f8 and be there" an urban legend of sorts, or are there any trusted sources suggesting otherwise?

Rob C

Re: The "f8 and be there" quote
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:47:22 pm »

It was certainly already doing the rounds in the early 60s...

Can't lay the blame on any individual, though, but you can bet your ass somebody will stake the claim!

Rob C

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 04:46:26 pm »

The only trusted source I rely on is myself and my cheap under $100 lenses (18-55kit, 70-300-Sigma, 35-105 film legacy Pentax) on my 2006 Pentax K100D DSLR.

With post processing software diffraction at f/16 or no diffraction at f/8 I still get sharp and in focus Raw images. I just have longer DOF shooting f/16.

As a strictly f/8 shooter for over 6 years both outdoor/indoor I've recently discovered f/16 even with my kit lens gives me just as good a shot as f/8 whether it's sunny or indoor dim lighting. I just have to create a custom point curve along with the right amount of clarity in CS5 "and I'm there".

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:56:56 pm »

With post processing software diffraction at f/16 or no diffraction at f/8 I still get sharp and in focus Raw images. I just have longer DOF shooting f/16.

Thanks, Tim. My question is, though, not whether it's f8 or f16, but who's the author of the quote in subj.

P.S. Speaking of diaphragm, whenever I need best quality (and not min/max DOF), I just close it down two stops from max aperture.

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:23:33 pm »

It is attributed to Arthur "Weegee" Fellig, but I could not find any definite proof of that...

As Weegee was working mainly with a 4x5 Speed Graphic, "f/8 & be there" likely wouldn't have been his approach. It's a 35mm-era maxim. I've also seen it attributed to Robert Capa, which would be at least more appropriate if probably no more accurate.

-Dave-

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 09:40:24 pm »

As Weegee was working mainly with a 4x5 Speed Graphic, "f/8 & be there" likely wouldn't have been his approach.

And it wasn't, see quote in the OP.

I've also seen it attributed to Robert Capa, which would be at least more appropriate if probably no more accurate.

The plot thickens... :)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 11:04:13 pm »

Thanks, Tim. My question is, though, not whether it's f8 or f16, but who's the author of the quote in subj.

P.S. Speaking of diaphragm, whenever I need best quality (and not min/max DOF), I just close it down two stops from max aperture.

Yeah, I missed that you were asking about the author of the quote. I've heard "f/8 and be there" espoused by photographers in online discussions such as this, but never as an industry quote but more as instructions for utilizing the sweet spot of a lens as a "set it and forget it" insurance for best image clarity and photographer readiness.

But my best max "DOF and be there" setting at the quick would be 35mm or wider & f/16 or f/8 on APS-C sensor and my 18-55 kit. On full frame it's more closer to 50mm. Just downloaded a sample Nikon D800 full frame Raw shot @ 50mm-f/11 of the London Bridge (from photographyblog.com) and couldn't believe how much stone detail I could see even to the middle of the bridge at 100% zoom.

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »

The plot thickens... :)

Maybe the quote is a kinda/sorta example of the Bootstrap Paradox: "f/8 & be there" exists, yet has no genuine originator.  ;D

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up