Chains
« on: December 19, 2015, 06:42:24 am »

Okay, just for Antonio in Portugal, let's try out some cadenas:

Rob C

Zorki5

• AOLib
Re: Chains
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:15:49 am »

Strong vertical lines == stable, unyielding; probably, vertical is the best direction for a chain in the frame to stress its strength. Love color palette. All in all, a very good image.

But "Chains of Love"? Why?..

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:22 am »

Ah, chains of love...

Is it really better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? Does it depend on faith, or would the answer be the same with or without faith?

Rob C

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 02:08:14 pm »

Boats are always female...
Can't answer your metaphysical questions, Rob, but it is a strong image. Wish I'd captured it.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »

Strong image, Rob. Can I venture to suggest that it would be better if the centre red stripe in the background weren't cut off?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »

Boats are always female...
Can't answer your metaphysical questions, Rob, but it is a strong image. Wish I'd captured it.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year.

Thanks, re. the piccy, David, but I can't answer that question either: however, I find it very natural to ask it, even of myself.

Funny thing, computer work: I started out in PS on a picture of a tree, switched over to LuLa when I got bored, and whereas I started the voyage with Fats Domino (traditional trip for me now), I suddenly (as in now) became aware that it's become Get Back with the 4. I have no idea what came between then and now. Perhaps that's a reflection on life, too. I look in the mirror and see a stranger; I think of Paul and feel so sorry: even he, with 600 million or so squids in the pond can't beat Daddy Tempus.

Season's best to you, too!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 02:32:53 pm »

Strong image, Rob. Can I venture to suggest that it would be better if the centre red stripe in the background weren't cut off?

Jeremy

You mean the vertical one? If so, it's unavoidable: the thing runs up to the top of the prow and would get sliced wherever I framed. Actually, I think it isn't paint, but polished/varnished wood... no way of checking, though.

Funny thing, and illustrative of how moods change: the moment I posted this pic I thought no, I want to redo the thing, and then post it once more. I did nothing, and folks seem to like it. What I was going to do was make it a lot darker in parts, more a menace than a charm... I left it alone.

Life is strange.

Rob

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 05:07:55 pm »

Tempus fugit, Rob, that's for sure, but part of what has come in between is our enjoyment of your images and comments.
All the best,

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 04:04:16 am »

Tempus fugit, Rob, that's for sure, but part of what has come in between is our enjoyment of your images and comments.
All the best,

That's a pretty compliment!

Thank you, David.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 09:51:31 am »

This one was very old and very, very heavy; it's gone. The entire chain, which marked the edges of a little car park beside a marina, has since given way to heaps of rock mined from the mountains somewhere. I think each link was about ten inches long, or thereabouts.

Rob C

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:10:50 pm by Rob C »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 11:05:31 am »

Another fine one, Rob, IMHO. Colors and texture resonate wonderfully to my eye. I've shot a few "chain" subjects; they are fascinating structures for some reason.

francois

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 05:27:39 am »

Simple, clean, square and strong.
Bravo!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 10:20:20 am »

Thanks for the kind remarks!

All I remember about it, apart from location, is it was either Kodachrome 64 or Velvia 50, Nikon and 135mm Nikkor.

Rob C

Michael West

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:39:51 am »

This one was very old and very, very heavy; it's gone. The entire chain, which marked the edges of a little car park beside a marina, has since given way to heaps of rock mined from the mountains somewhere. I think each link was about ten inches long, or thereabouts.

Rob C

this chain was a "fence" in a mixed residential and business neighborhood. The links were as big around as my bicep.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 10:51:39 am »

But "Chains of Love"? Why?..

Chain = cadenas ? Huh, in French un cadenas is a padlock... and if you've been to Paris and crossed Le Pont des Arts in the last few years, you'd quickly see one connection :-)

My favourite Parisian image of recent times is a drawing of a young woman in a red dress, wielding a pair of bolt-cutters to remove a padlock of ever-lasting-love from a bridge :-)

francois

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:46:01 am »

Chain = cadenas ? Huh, in French un cadenas is a padlock... and if you've been to Paris and crossed Le Pont des Arts in the last few years, you'd quickly see one connection :-)

No more "cadenas" on Pont des Arts!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 04:11:43 pm »

And aren't they doing the same thing somewhere in the 'new world' with chewing gum (removing it) from a particular building?

Funny old world...

Anyway, finally off to the big smoke tomorrow; perhaps get something different from the usual village shots.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »

No more "cadenas" on Pont des Arts!

It had become a cancer, although I'm not sure I see the connection with the Danny MaCaskill vid... excellent as it is :)
(euh, except for the chain on his bike...)

francois

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 09:37:52 am »

It had become a cancer, although I'm not sure I see the connection with the Danny MaCaskill vid... excellent as it is :)
(euh, except for the chain on his bike...)

Graham,
Sorry for the wrong link, that's what's happening when I'm testing multiple clipboards software…
I hope your brain didn't fry over my mistake ;-)

The link I wanted to share was this one: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32960470
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up