Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Firmware Update for Epson P800  (Read 8080 times)

Dale Villeponteaux

Firmware Update for Epson P800
« on: December 18, 2015, 08:07:24 pm »

A firmware update is available for the p800. The first of two instruction say to turn the printer off. Do not turn the printer off
but proceed to the next instruction which says to insure the printer is turned on. The printer must be ON for the update to
complete.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Firmware Update for Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:27:20 pm »

From what I see on the website of Epson America the latest driver package download is epson16404.dmg, dating from mid June. The instructions are very straightforward. Just make sure not to select the Airprint version of the driver unless the only intention is printing from phones and tablets.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:28:59 pm »

I know that I installed 16404 when I got my P800 but it does beg the question, how do you know what firmware is in printer?
Regards,
Ron

howardm

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:38 pm »

On the 38xx, the firmware # is printed under the zig-zags of the nozzle test sheet.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 09:47:08 pm »

Dale,
Sorry, I was confusing Firmware update with software update. Yes for the firmware update the printer needs to be at first turned on so that the Epson Software Updater can look into the printer to compare the existing firmware version with the latest available version. In the event of an update, the Updater tells you to install. On Mac you will then get a dialog box with an updater app in the first line. Double click it. You then follow the instructions, which look pretty clear as to the sequence of turning the printer on and off.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:58:31 pm »

Oh - and thanks for the heads-up on the update. My printer was not on when the updater appeared, so it did not pick-up this item. All done now. Very seamless install, following their instructions exactly.

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »

My brand new P800 did a firmware update as soon as the driver was installed today.  Thanks for the heads up.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 06:20:41 pm »

A firmware update is available for the p800.

Has Epson posted release notes somewhere that explain what fixes are included in the patch?  I couldn't find anything on the Epson USA site.

howardm

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 07:05:37 pm »

it's extremely rare for them to document any fixes to the firmware unless it's a new feature (like the turn-off timer on 3880)

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 06:28:03 am »

Boo to that! I'd like to know...I often skip updates for fixes of issues I've not experienced or feel apply to me. Especially after Adobe's recent run of half baked updates.

it's extremely rare for them to document any fixes to the firmware unless it's a new feature (like the turn-off timer on 3880)

roa5100xx

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 06:40:35 pm »

On the P800, how do you check what firmware you have? I can't seem to find it.

thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 07:25:23 pm »

On the P800, how do you check what firmware you have? I can't seem to find it.

thanks

If you are using Mac OSX go to System Preferences>Printers&Scanners>P800>Options & SUpplies> General and you will see the driver version there. The current version is 9.41 for the current Mac OSX systems.

roa5100xx

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 11:26:35 pm »

I'm on windows 7.

thanks

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 02:00:01 pm »

If you are using Mac OSX go to System Preferences>Printers&Scanners>P800>Options & SUpplies> General and you will see the driver version there. The current version is 9.41 for the current Mac OSX systems.
I thought we were talking of firmware, not driver?  I think if you press the home button on the printer, then select setup, there is an option to print a printer status sheet.  Firmware version should be on there. It may be on nozzle checks as well.  probably some other way to actually see it via the printers menu, but I’m not by mine to check.

Epson doesn’t say anything about a new firmware version for the p800 drivers and downloads. If on a Mac is the only way to discover this is to run the Epson Software Updater Utility (which I’m not familiar with, it seems to be a new piece of software)?  Just running it now (remotely) and it does show a firmware update for the p800, says the version is 05.24.0R04G3. (on Windows the manual says updates are handled automatically).

edit:  interestingly enough, all Epson Software Utility did was download another program, Epson Firmware Updater and the firmware package.  Lots of warnings about running this program, seems a little over the top ...

"Turn the power on. If it is already on, turn the power off and on again making sure no jobs in the print queue.
Disconnect all cables from your computer, except the power cord and any USB or Ethernet cable used for printing.
Click [Next] to start the printer update.”

Leads me with a few questions ....

So i’m supposed to disconnect all usb and ethernet cables ... what about thunderbolt cables?  why when the printer is connected via wifi?  Is doing the update via wifi dangerous, should I use a USB cable for the update?

Guess I’ll deal with it when I get home, and to do it remotely after all.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:10:52 pm by Wayne Fox »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 02:28:51 pm »

Yes, you are right - he asked about firmware, not the driver. There is an "Epson Firmware Updater" application in the Epson P800 software package that installed with the printer (for Mac, sorry don't know whether the same applies to Windows but perhaps it does - no harm checking if you are on Windows). It does not say I need a wi-fi connection. It does tell me to disconnect cables other than for printing (but I do need to leave my display cables connected - maybe they mean other Epson products so there is no chance of confusion). They do not say whether the firmware currently in my P800 is the same as the version listed for the update. BUT, when I first set-up this printer and printed a Usage History Sheet & Configuration Status Sheet it did say the main firmware is ORO6FB, undated. So the version shown in the updater differs from this and therefore must be more recent.. But it too is undated. Epson should be a bit more "explanatory" about the timing of these versions so we can be 100% certain of what we are doing. I shall now disconnect my other stuff and do the update. My desk is made of wood so I can knock on it as the process unfolds...........   :-). (Maybe my head is too, I'll know soon) :-)

NickXavi

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 07:19:14 am »

I updated my P800 to new firmware (main: OR04G3, network: 05.24), without any problem.

But what were the changes?

Epson should report on the changes.

For example, a question arises: this firmware upgrade means that new printer profiles has to be created?

The answer is probably no, but ....
CG277, P800, i1Pro 2

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 09:24:38 am »

I agree with you - they should document the changes. Many software providers do this.

As for needing to change profiles - I highly doubt it. I have never had to re-profile a paper because I've updated firmware. But make one test print with your existing profile and see whether anything has changed warranting an updating of profiles.

NickXavi

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 10:12:44 am »

Hi Mark,

First of all congratulations for your very interesting review of Canon ImagePrograf PRO-1000.

In the previous firmware upgrade I tried it and the results were identical.

But it is absurd that P800's users we do not have that information.

Anyway, Epson builds excelent printers, but fails with the customers communications.

Greetings from Barcelona.
CG277, P800, i1Pro 2

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 01:39:15 pm »

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the Pro-1000 review.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 06:49:55 am »

In contrast to almost every other kind of computing device, in all my years of printing I can't recall ever updating firmware on one of my inkjet printers.  Drivers, sure.  But not the firmware.

Couldn't agree more that Epson and the other manufacturers should provide more info on what's in a firmware release... why we should bother.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up