Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5DSR Low Light Experience  (Read 4867 times)

jtunney

5DSR Low Light Experience
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:40:23 pm »

Anyone have experience using a 5DSR in low light and at night vs a 5Diii or 6D? I've read a gazillion reviews, but was curious about real-world experience.

Thanks.
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

AlterEgo

Re: 5DSR Low Light Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:07:23 pm »

Anyone have experience using a 5DSR in low light and at night vs a 5Diii or 6D? I've read a gazillion reviews, but was curious about real-world experience.

Thanks.

as in AF or as in S/N & DR ?

jtunney

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:28:10 pm »

All of the above.
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:07:39 pm »

I am curious as well, although I need a brain upgrade before I need a camera upgrade.  :D
I am still very happy with my 6D. I haven't tried a Sony A7Rii or Canon 5DSr.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 01:06:31 am »

5Ds: in low light it has better DR than 5D3, and allows one to bump shadows to open a bit more than the 5D3 without too much noise (and no banding). That has been my experience. AF in all situations seems to me more accurate particularly if using just the center "x".

This review (at DPR) pretty much matches my experience with the camera (I use a 5Ds):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=reviews-latest-widget&utm_medium=image&ref=reviews-latest-widget

within you will find some info for your questions.

Their summary of pros/cons is good: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/12

for others that have been looking for reviews of the camera.

orc73

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:17:34 pm »

don't buy it for low light. you will be disappointed in real life. this camera needs proper light, a lot of it.
lab tests are made from a tripod with static subjects, plenty of light and high shutter speeds.
if you need iso 800 in good light to freeze motion, you can use it. if you need to fight with shutter speed longer then 1/200 you will not have a good keeper rate.

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:40:04 pm »

lab tests are made from a tripod with static subjects, plenty of light and high shutter speeds.
deep shadows are deep shadows in lab or not, static or dynamic, plenty of light or not, high shutter speed or not... if you have some data in a particular raw channel 8+ stops down from clipping in raw then in does not matter whether you get that data in outdoors or in the nice warm lab...

orc73

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »

@alterego that is certainly true and nobody will deny that.
Maybe the question is what somebody wants to photograph and how. Shooting landscapes at night on a tripod might be better on the 5dsr. Documentary will have a poor keeper rate for sharpness, the keepers will probably be better though :)
I work a lot with it and this is my experience. Maybe somebody has different experience, I just share what I know.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »

Architecture....often shoot in to twilight conditions with the 5dsr.
Shooting on a tripod, I'm finding the files really great to work with.  Mind you I came from the MkII and it it lightyears ahead of that.

I'm rarely shoot in really dark conditions, but if there is some light the camera is great.

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

jtunney

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 10:05:40 pm »

Currently, I have a 6D. I do a lot of work in twilight and some night stuff - cityscapes, milky way and landscapes. I'm tempted by the 5DSR because I'm getting more requests for larger prints. Since it's been out there in the real world for a while now, I thought it would be  helpful to hear what the people who use it regularly have to say.

Thanks for the responses.

John

John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod
Pages: [1]   Go Up