Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac 5K and Mac Pro Workstation Rig Shootout  (Read 3260 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
iMac 5K and Mac Pro Workstation Rig Shootout
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:25 pm »

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: iMac 5K and Mac Pro Workstation Rig Shootout
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »

The Xeons are always one year behind the i7 chips since they are proven technology.
And at this moment we wait for new MacPros and the latest iMac has just arrived.
But in a few months the new macPro's will be faster again, but by a small not interesting margin.
Also the latest iMacs are with a very fast GPU and can take 64 Gig of Ram.
Still it is obvious that the xeons are getting more and more related to server stations...and the i7 chips will have more than 4 cores and will do very well for photoshop etc.
the actual source is diglloyd:
http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2015/20151121_1932-iMac5K-RealWorldPhotoshop.html
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

sjprg

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:34:44 pm »

BUT! Apple insists on only installing one flash drive internally when they know damn well that to properly use Final Cut Pro it takes two drives. They could very easily fit two or even four M.2 2280 drives in both the Imac and the MBP. Even if they don't fill the slots they would still be there for the people who need them. They also never go all the way with the CPUs always one or two levels below the top. That always been my main complaint with Apple, they are always giving you the short end of the stick. As Jobs told me one time "I get what I want and I don't care what you want as a customer". May he rest in H.
Paul

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:27:15 am »

"As Jobs told me one time "I get what I want and I don't care what you want as a customer". May he rest in H."

i guess you are not a jobs fan; neither am i but this is a bit crude...

Wy do you need 2 drives ?  to make a Raid0? The latest imac has a drive that can do about 2000MB a second!
Also i can understand why they don't use the maximum Xeons; they are 10 % faster and cost 200% more...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

sjprg

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:51:08 am »

For example my current three year old PC with two old Intel 520 SSDs in raid 0 gets 1030 ghz, and with an 256 M.2 in an adapter card gets ~4000. Two M.2 drives will obtain roughly 6000 in raid 0.
For Final Cut Pro all test run by knowlegable users show that all video files should be on a separate drive. Which means you must carry an external drive for video besides the external drive needed for the time machine. This could all be internal which is especially important for MBP users.
Please pardon my crudeness towards Jobs. After several run ins with him I have to say he is the ONLY person I have ever intensely disliked.
Paul

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:25:33 pm »

For example my current three year old PC with two old Intel 520 SSDs in raid 0 gets 1030 ghz, and with an 256 M.2 in an adapter card gets ~4000. Two M.2 drives will obtain roughly 6000 in raid 0.
For Final Cut Pro all test run by knowlegable users show that all video files should be on a separate drive. Which means you must carry an external drive for video besides the external drive needed for the time machine. This could all be internal which is especially important for MBP users.
Please pardon my crudeness towards Jobs. After several run ins with him I have to say he is the ONLY person I have ever intensely disliked.
This is why, if you are competent, that it makes sense to build your own PC.  Infinite customizations (well maybe not that much but certainly a lot) are possible and you can make sure that it is going to be optimized for the software that you run.  It's also a lot less money than buying an Apple machine.

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »

This is why, if you are competent, that it makes sense to build your own PC.  Infinite customizations (well maybe not that much but certainly a lot) are possible and you can make sure that it is going to be optimized for the software that you run.  It's also a lot less money than buying an Apple machine.
and then you (competent^2) can build it (PC) to put OSX on it (Hackintosh) ;D ...

sjprg

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:20 pm »

I do build all of my own PCs from scratch. Have done so since the early 1990s. Final Cut Pro is the only app I use my gutted and rebuilt Imac for , and I also have a gutted 2014 MBP for use in the field as it is light and works well with SSDs replacing the HD and optical drive. While being slow it is handy to run overnight in a motel room. Hopefully Apple will make an I7-6700 version with a couple of M.2 slots soon. Wishing for four M.2 slots probably won't happen knowing Apple consumer Orientation.
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up