Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives  (Read 2398 times)

Rob C

Alternatives
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:45 am »

Sometimes, looking at this site as well as almost any other, my own very much included, I come to the conclusion that we are all, in the end, pretty much trapped into shooting the same image over and over again.

It seems like we have perhaps two or three - at the most - moments of inspiration in our lives and that's it: we become hooked in a zone of comfort. Not comfort because we know how to do whatever it is, but comfort from the perspective that it saves us the trouble of sitting down and thinking about next steps, new adventures. Perhaps there are no new directions for most of us - all of us? We are blessed with our vision - short as it may be - and that's our lot. We hide our short-sightedness, not least from ourselves, in specialization.

Genre, perhaps, exists for that very reason: even the masters are truly stuck in their groove, and the only progress they can make is in getting better and better at doing pretty much exactly the same thing, year after year.

Could that be why Frank gave up; ditto HC-B? That they actually woke up one day and thought: there must be more to life than this?

They had other outlets; what about the rest of us: should we look for a way out or just keep our eyes closed and whistle? "To be, or not to be," seems far more relevant than we might have thought.

Rob C

Michael West

Re: Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:56:15 am »

Sometimes, looking at this site as well as almost any other, my own very much included, I come to the conclusion that we are all, in the end, pretty much trapped into shooting the same image over and over again.

It seems like we have perhaps two or three - at the most - moments of inspiration in our lives and that's it: we become hooked in a zone of comfort. Not comfort because we know how to do whatever it is, but comfort from the perspective that it saves us the trouble of sitting down and thinking about next steps, new adventures. Perhaps there are no new directions for most of us - all of us? We are blessed with our vision - short as it may be - and that's our lot. We hide our short-sightedness, not least from ourselves, in specialization.

Genre, perhaps, exists for that very reason: even the masters are truly stuck in their groove, and the only progress they can make is in getting better and better at doing pretty much exactly the same thing, year after year.

Could that be why Frank gave up; ditto HC-B? That they actually woke up one day and thought: there must be more to life than this?

They had other outlets; what about the rest of us: should we look for a way out or just keep our eyes closed and whistle? "To be, or not to be," seems far more relevant than we might have thought.

Rob C

I never leave home without...my trusty camera. most often I have no clear intention of shooting this that or anything else.

I happened to walk past a  row of Pin Oaks and noting they "installed' in planter boxes looked down between the planters only to discover something which looked remarkably like a tree.  I doubt I will ever encounter or photograph another :"instance" of this sort of "thing" again.

Here's wishing a deeper and wider field of vision to one and all!

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:06:11 pm »

Quote Rob:It seems like we have perhaps two or three - at the most - moments of inspiration in our lives and that's it: we become hooked in a zone

Somewhat Nihilistic this morning Rob... I expect MUCH more of you and demand that you lift and tilt that head back on your worthy spine and sup of life!!!! Get to it friend!!!
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:15:29 pm »

Quote Rob:It seems like we have perhaps two or three - at the most - moments of inspiration in our lives and that's it: we become hooked in a zone

Somewhat Nihilistic this morning Rob... I expect MUCH more of you and demand that you lift and tilt that head back on your worthy spine and sup of life!!!! Get to it friend!!!

Patricia, my navel is still quite cute...

Christmas isn't my favourite time; used to be wonderful when the kids were kids, but they grow up, up and away, and you find little of celebratory value in what, without the filters of love, turns into the commercial trick it always was. Just another day, like Sundays, when I rather stay at home. But seems I'll have to go out this 25th because I bumped into a musician friend today and don't want to offend by not turning up at a gig after a specific invitation. Hope I remember, which is often doubtful!

However, I still do think that the artistic life has its distinct parameters, that it really isn't a series of infinite possibilities. Yes, of course there are thousands of things to shoot, but then you have to cut them down, edit the range to that which interests, and enough so to make you willing to sit at a computer for ages, contemplating your own motivation. (God, love Fats Domino and Blueberry Hill!)

And that's the difficult bit. What Terence Donvan always said about the amateur condition.

I sometimes prefer to turn the music up and just look at books. I don't have that many, but love those that I do. Summer is a better place. Days are longer, the cold walls don't crush in and you don't have to go out to buy another coffee just to see a face you probably don't want to talk to in the first place: just being out is the pleasure in its own right. Winter is better in cold countries because everything is designed to cope with it; here, all the architects have ganged up to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Comes a time in life when the city comes back into its own; they say you can be very lonely in a city, but lonely isn't the deal: the deal is boredom, which is something very else. Ghost tourist towns of winter; a series of pictures no doubt, but having tried to get into it (and failed) a couple of winters ago, the reality I see every cold day is more than enough -  need no deeper wallow!

But moods swing; might stumble onto something pleasing tomorrow pretty much by accident, as has become my norm, which is what drifting without wind or rudder is all about. At least, I don't yet feel myself in the same boat as many of the wrecks I do see holding onto their beer for dear life, forever on the lookout for the bar making special offers. Guess there might be sobering benefits from heart attacks after all!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:20:39 pm by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:49:08 pm »

IMO it's good to have multiple creative pursuits, so when you plateau with one you've got others you can focus on. Also, I like to have at least one project in reserve…typically something technically oriented that I can devote myself to without any particular creative intent. Like trying out a new (even if many months old) lens. Gives me a reason to handle a camera and look though a viewfinder without "doing photography."

Guitar-wise I've put off overhauling a pair of my oldies for years, waiting for the inevitable "I'm so sick of hearing myself play…" to happen. Attached is a pic (another excuse for handling a camera!) of the first eventual patient/victim.  :)

-Dave-

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 04:22:38 pm »

I do not know if I will be out of the idea of the thread but I am about to write anyway. Excuse me if I am wrong and out of line.
I rarely go out with the camera.
I see no motivation in everyday routine. However, when I have a special idea in mind, then yes, I pick up the camera with what is supposed to be the right lens for the set and there I go.

I tend to make most of the time the same kind of photography. Many black and white - like old guys do, naturally - and some in color.
I have had in the last years ambitions of exposing and earning some money. LOL On the contrary. I have spent money. Not earned.
I have been exposed in LA and published in US. That was very good and I am proud of it !

But... but... suspense... I never stop reasoning about ways to escape what I call the mediocrity of some people I see around me.
I have now in mind a very crazy project involving institutions of solidarity and another one involving plants (factories). Oh, oh ! Will I have the right contacts ? Will I be able ? With whom I am supposed to make friendship to accomplish such a huge task ?
I do not know how to answer these questions. But I am already working on something that I ... eventually, see realized by the end of next year.
I know in every door to get what I want !

Thank you for reading these lines ! :)
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 05:17:44 pm »

I do not know if I will be out of the idea of the thread but I am about to write anyway. Excuse me if I am wrong and out of line.
I rarely go out with the camera.
I see no motivation in everyday routine. However, when I have a special idea in mind, then yes, I pick up the camera with what is supposed to be the right lens for the set and there I go.

I tend to make most of the time the same kind of photography. Many black and white - like old guys do, naturally - and some in color.
I have had in the last years ambitions of exposing and earning some money. LOL On the contrary. I have spent money. Not earned.
I have been exposed in LA and published in US. That was very good and I am proud of it !

But... but... suspense... I never stop reasoning about ways to escape what I call the mediocrity of some people I see around me.
I have now in mind a very crazy project involving institutions of solidarity and another one involving plants (factories). Oh, oh ! Will I have the right contacts ? Will I be able ? With whom I am supposed to make friendship to accomplish such a huge task ?
I do not know how to answer these questions. But I am already working on something that I ... eventually, see realized by the end of next year.
I know in every door to get what I want !

Thank you for reading these lines ! :)

Hi Antonio, you are perfectly aligned!

Yes, mediocrity is a pain, but then we live in an imperfect world, and the worst part is knowing the depth to which the level below the mid-point line can dip. But again, it comes to yet a further question: if you were drowning and some illiterate offered his hand to pull you back onto a boat, would you scorn him then? And who gives us the accurate measure of ourselves? Not our friends, and certainly not our foes.

And that's why I tend to keep my distance from any group that I am likely to bump into in person; I hate the feeling of being trapped into clubs, of having to start to make regular appointments with people, run the risk of having to discuss their divorces and how rotten women are when I have seldom found that to be the case. As for golf or football - how, why?

You may have a point about old guys getting into a rut just because they are old guys, but if it's true, perhaps it's because they have already tried out all the false, dead end paths before and found no joy on any of them.

Partly, there's pleasure to be had from looking at the work of other people, but in my case, most of the ones that grab my attention were in the same section of the business as was I, and that is over - you can't do it alone. I do feel that I have exhausted my own ability to do anything new here; perhaps going to the capital of the island offers more interesting people to snap, more exciting shops windows etc. but it's two hours of driving to get there and back, and the reward only lasts as long as the shooting. Once I've done that, the rest is pretty much routine and not particularly exciting to do. In fact, I have been challenging myself to make something beyond what I see in reality, just to allow myself the little illusion of self-deception that it all has some meaning, some importance which, of course, it does not. The thing is, in pro life, once I made up a good portfolio, I ended up having neither the time not the inclination to do anything that didn't come with an invoice I could post. Even the concept of portfolio became redundant: nobody wanted to see it - I just got the work almost by reflex. It wasn't like today, where I suppose only a handful of huge stars find it works like that for them, the rest fighting like dogs for every gig.

I do usually tote a camera along 'just in case' and that's how pretty much everything happens now. But the last few days I have been on strike. I just can't be bothered with the weight, the inconvenience and the screaming boredom that every place that's still open for winter brings. I feel I have shot everything in the neighbourhood to death. I would love to find something to use my 500 cat. lens for, but it needs a tripod (heavy one) and apart from a beautiful, flat and empty sea that gives the backlight sparkle the low winter sun has, and that the lens needs for its effects, there's nothing happening on that sea! I can't bear the though of another empty stage, just like my landscape attempts!

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:20:47 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »

It seems like we have perhaps two or three - at the most - moments of inspiration in our lives and that's it:

Rob C

Hi Rob,
If you have that many truly world class images get down on your knees and be most grateful...you have a rarified place in art history. The greatest painters have maybe 3-5 masterpieces.

Peter

Antonio Correia

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 07:05:50 pm »

Rob you look like me when I go and see the boats.LOL
However, the other day I went to see the boat and I found some padlocks I could photograph. Interesting padlocks, all different and they were - still are - inside the boats !!!
It is one of my projects: Padlocks, what they secure, what they hold...
I am sure there are some "padlocks" where you go... let me have a look at them please !

António Correia

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 01:39:14 am »

Great photo, Antonio.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 04:39:32 am »

Locks.

That's a pretty cool idea, Antonio. It did cross my mind in the past, but not in the manner that it has touched you: I was more into the idea of locks and chains at the entrance to gardens, farms etc. here's an example:

Black and white appeals to me for many reasons - not least in that it takes away the distraction of colour and lets the mind concentrate on message and not illustration. I find that colour is very unsettling with photographs - the eye flits from place to place at the expense of the idea you thought that you had; it doesn't make the idea (black and white), just gives it a better chance of getting through the confusion. Of course, it helps if there really was an idea in the first place. In some ways, and in some instances the visual route is simpler, more direct than the one through words.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 04:41:42 am »

Hi Rob,
If you have that many truly world class images get down on your knees and be most grateful...you have a rarified place in art history. The greatest painters have maybe 3-5 masterpieces.

Peter

Peter - what is a world-class image?

Rob

Antonio Correia

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 05:32:33 am »

Rob, now you have job to do.

Instead of lockers, chains. :)

Come on... do start please !

Have a nice week end :)
António Correia

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 09:13:40 am »

Peter - what is a world-class image?

Rob

A Masterpiece...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:42 am »

A Masterpiece...

Peter

So, a degree in Law, already!

But, regarding the definition, that must mean there aren't any world-class images. At the end of the day, yes, there are many memorable images - flowers being placed into the muzzles of guns; half-naked kids running towards the camera with bombs and napalm going off in the scene behind, but that's not about wonderful photographic images, that's about shit going down in the wider world, preferably far, far away from us all. That's about f8 and being there, to get into the popular, photographic cliché and swing of the moment...

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

So, a degree in Law, already!

But, regarding the definition, that must mean there aren't any world-class images. At the end of the day, yes, there are many memorable images - flowers being placed into the muzzles of guns; half-naked kids running towards the camera with bombs and napalm going off in the scene behind, but that's not about wonderful photographic images, that's about shit going down in the wider world, preferably far, far away from us all. That's about f8 and being there, to get into the popular, photographic cliché and swing of the moment...

Rob C

The defining of the Masterpiece, that's the rub...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 04:17:09 am »

The defining of the Masterpiece, that's the rub...

Peter

Perchance, in photography, it doesn't exist beyond the fan base of each photographer?

Rob C

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 01:44:07 pm »

Rob, now you have job to do.

Instead of lockers, chains. :)

Come on... do start please !

Have a nice week end :)
From knockers, to lockers, to chains! By Jove, I think you guys are on to something ;D
I think I get the boredom, Rob. If it applies to intellectual pursuits, why not creative too? Whenever I am arrived in a new place, it is always much more visually interesting and my camera seems to take on a will of its own. But isn't there a quote about being bored in Paradise somewhere? At least there's a book written about it ;) Change of scenery due?
Seems this is somewhat of a recurrent theme, which inspired me to write about it once:
http://davideckelsphotography.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-take-photograph.html

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »

From knockers, to lockers, to chains! By Jove, I think you guys are on to something ;D
I think I get the boredom, Rob. If it applies to intellectual pursuits, why not creative too? Whenever I am arrived in a new place, it is always much more visually interesting and my camera seems to take on a will of its own. But isn't there a quote about being bored in Paradise somewhere? At least there's a book written about it ;) Change of scenery due?
Seems this is somewhat of a recurrent theme, which inspired me to write about it once:
http://davideckelsphotography.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-take-photograph.html

Hey, no whips!

The new is priceless, but it has to be real: I used to go on recce trips prior to shooting some calendars - budgets allowing - and I realised that places I thought wonderful during the recce were still good when we went back with the girls to shoot, but not any longer quite as good as before, during the first visit.

I find myself commuting, at best, to either end of a 5k or so straight line between two small towns, either to ring the changes for lunch, to shop, or just for a coffee and a couple of snaps in the other destination. I know them both all too well by now, and sometimes the enormity of that stops me even taking out a camera, but at other times, depending on how I feel - as well as what goes down when I get there - I can be happily surprised and find something I like. Sometimes, I just look around the inside of my apartment and it's enough for something different.

But, within your link, you make a good point about cliché: one man's cliché is another one's discovery (more or less). I suppose that the older you get, the more you see and do, the more difficult the finding of the new and, consequently, the greater the sense of déjà vu within your own work. And there's the rub; the work, at the end of the day, is for you, the shooter.

I believe that the changes within the long-time photographer's mind can, and it happens to me, create a little inner world where things are seen or imagined to exist, and then when the picture is actually up there, on the monitor, the idea no longer looks as strong, and it becomes a matter of playing at PS in the hope of making something else happen, apart from the hoped for thing. A little piece of desperation!

Runaway Train: so sad, those images of missing people; I can imagine the heartache of parents, guilt, rightly or not; how much damage people can do one another...

Rob C

Antonio Correia

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »

Today we have been to an old palace just 6 kilometers away from Setúbal. It is abandoned for some time now. Stupid people destroy the "azulejos" and break windows just for the fun of it.
Poor mentalities. In this palace Jacqueline Kennedy stayed for some time when her husband was killed in Dallas.

I took some photographs - we have been there on purpose to do so - but when I came back home and saw my images I thought that thigs were not at the best. Or at least the best I like.
Perhaps tomorrow hane I look at the same photographs again I will be able to discover something decent.
However,
On location this column called for my attention.
I have done a treatment which I would not be able to recreat. Hope you like it.Thank you :)
António Correia
Pages: [1]   Go Up