Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Features In Lightroom Mobile, but ....  (Read 3271 times)

stingray

New Features In Lightroom Mobile, but ....
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »

New Features In Lightroom Mobile, but ....

Adobe still refuse to provide basic editing of metadata, such as Title, Caption, Comment, Location, Copyright.

The iPad is the perfect tool to allow this functionality.  I will complete most of my metadata via Lightroom import on my main workstation. However, there are lots of occasions I have dead time when travelling , which I could use productively to update Titles, Captions, etc of my rated images on an Ipad. If I am to use an Ipad Pro instead of a laptop then it will be even more critical to allow me manage my metadata.

Keywords are even more critical for many photographers.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: New Features In Lightroom Mobile, but ....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »

I am surprised that it remains as unbalanced as it's always been, though I'm lukewarm about keywording on mobile devices. Keywording is all about volume or quantity, long lists of keywords bringing large numbers of pictures under control, and mobile devices are pretty poor at handling long lists and selecting large numbers of pictures.

stingray

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:15:37 am »

Personally, I am not a big keyword user, but I have seen many requests by others for mobile key wording.

I can see one use for mobile key wording.  I could create a set of keywords which I could apply in the field, but then use back at base.

Such as:

* Urgent.
* Refine in PS
* B&W
* Panorama Merge
* HDR Merge
* keeper

Etc.

I could use these keywords then to help streamline my post processing later on the full version of Lightroom, with full version of Photoshop at my disposal.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 10:23:46 am »

I am a big keyword user and I do see a lot of requests as well, and it's an obvious thing to want, but it's less convincing when you think a bit about the nature of keywording and the limitations of small screens.

ButchM

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:19:30 pm »

... but it's less convincing when you think a bit about the nature of keywording and the limitations of small screens.

Nature of keywording and limitations of small screens? I can't say I share the sentiment.

When I'm stuck in an airport suffering through a flight delay bored out of my mind and have a weekend's worth of images to keyword while I wait ... I'm sure I'm not alone in the mindset that having the capability would be of more benefit than hindrance on a tablet.

For me ... this is one of the limitations of Lr Mobile and why I frankly use it so little.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:21 pm »

More of a benefit than a hindrance, yes, if you want to damn it with faint praise.

ButchM

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 04:51:45 pm »

More of a benefit than a hindrance, yes, if you want to damn it with faint praise.

Sorry ... you may consider it damning or faint praise ... but if the small screen was as limiting as you would like to portray it to be ... why have a mobile version of Lr in the first place?

I would find it much more valuable to have the ability to caption, title and keyword on my iPad than to have crop, tone, color and other such adjustments ... to me those are the tasks most suitable for desktop/laptop work environ.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 05:02:20 pm »

As I said, I think the app has always felt unbalanced, and while crop and other adjustments are fine by me, I'm not sure I want some of the recent additions like the point curve or vignetting. However adjusting one image at a time works fine on a small screen. Things become less effective when you then think about copying those adjustments to other images. Keywording would probably be similar, OK for odd images but going sharply downhill with lots of images, even more so because you're usually dealing with two sets of items, lots of pics and lots of keywords.

ButchM

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 01:08:41 am »

... OK for odd images but going sharply downhill with lots of images, even more so because you're usually dealing with two sets of items, lots of pics and lots of keywords.

Maybe ... maybe not.

Not all users follow the same exact workflow or have the same requirements. There is no universal solution to individual workflow nuances.

For example ... many of the images I capture, are done so in extremely similar lighting conditions. I may have several hundred to several thousand images shot using very similar settings. It is quite easy for me to perform basic adjustments to one image and sync the Develop settings across an entire shoot and experience little if any ill effects. In fact, that is how I accomplish much of that task on a desktop or laptop, very little tweaking or twaddling individual images ad infinitum. Certainly it shouldn't be too painful on a tablet.

Likewise for keywording. Much of what I shoot is similar in scope on a given assignment that I don't require a keyword hierarchy of hundreds of terms to muddy up the mix. Yes, for further detailed and more in-depth metadata for subsets of images ... I can do that later on a proper work station, but for adding the more general and inclusive terms, no reason that task should be beyond the capabilities of a modern tablet.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 04:56:36 am »

Not all users follow the same exact workflow or have the same requirements. There is no universal solution to individual workflow nuances.

Hold the front page! But of course, Lightroom doesn't attempt to cater for every nuance.

I agree it would be most suitable to general terms, maybe via something similar to the keywording panel and especially the keyword sets. Making the users' metadata presets available would also work, I think, though in each case I wonder whether the demand would really be satisfied by a two stage process of entering general terms while mobile and tweaking later. I do that with adjustments and find it works fine, and there's quite a popular raw+jpeg workflow where the jpeg is adjusted in LrM. So maybe, and as I say, I've always thought the app was unbalanced and I am surprised metadata entry hasn't already been added to the app.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 04:58:43 am »

I could create a set of keywords which I could apply.......
That would nice, and has been repeatedly asked for, in the desktop version.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 05:52:26 am »

That would nice, and has been repeatedly asked for, in the desktop version.

In the desktop version you can already create sets, define synonyms, or create metadata presets with multiple keywords.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:21 am »

In the desktop version you can already create sets, define synonyms, or create metadata presets with multiple keywords.
As far as I'm aware there is no easy way to create a keyword set and easily apply it. The only route is the unnecessarily complex route of creating metadata presets.
It could and should be much easier.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 06:57:42 am »

As far as I'm aware there is no easy way to create a keyword set and easily apply it. The only route is the unnecessarily complex route of creating metadata presets.
It could and should be much easier.

So you just mean applying all items from what Lr actually calls a "keyword set" in one shot instead of going Alt 1 through Alt 9? I suppose it wouldn't hurt, though it's not really the point of the keyword sets feature, and if you repeatedly apply the same group of keywords you're likely to be better served by packing them into a keyword's synonyms, or by metadata presets since you can then populate other fields like title, country-location, job etc that are used in conjunction with that bunch of keywords. In any case it's not what the OP was talking about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up