Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Congrats To Slobodan!!  (Read 14392 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Congrats To Slobodan!!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 08:40:27 am »

Congratulations Slobodan, great shot and great moment which counts.

James Clark

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 09:39:24 am »

Let add my congratulations - you seem to be on a roll this year! 

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 10:08:10 am »

Slobodan,
A good five years ago we exchanged brief but intensely experienced thoughts about your father, then 87 years.
Powerfully experienced then and holds true on every level this year. You know he reaches to touch you now. Smiling for you...
A common woman~

NancyP

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 10:33:49 am »

Lovely photo, Slobodan! Congratulations!

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 11:13:02 am »

Oops! Thought this was a double of the b/w postings!

Well done, Slobodan, you deserve it.

Rob C

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 11:48:11 am »

Thank God for friends like Kevin (in CT) for saving me from posting myself "my latest triumph."  :D

I am seriously considering refraining from doing so in the future. And resort instead only to snarky, sarcastic, condescending, etc. snipes. ;)
I enjoy both your photos and your comments - most of the time. ;), and congratulations on this well-deserved recognition.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 12:17:03 pm »

Slobodan,
A good five years ago we exchanged brief but intensely experienced thoughts about your father, then 87 years.
Powerfully experienced then and holds true on every level this year. You know he reaches to touch you now. Smiling for you...

Ah, Patricia, you made me tear up. The photo of my late father you have in mind is now permanently living in the cloud, so to speak, a part of my b&w collection.. Well, as permanent as those web electrons, bits and pieces, or whatever they are called, are.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:28:28 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 01:35:44 pm »

Let me add my congratulations ... terrific image.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 03:19:12 pm »

Well done, my friend!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

AlfSollund

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »

Well done indeed!
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 08:44:12 am »

Hey Slobodan, I do believe it's time to toast with a well made Manhattan!. My current favorite is Woodford Reserve Bourbon along with the Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry Bitters  and your favorite Vermouth.

За дружбу!

I hope the Russian toast is the right one.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 12:32:54 pm »

Hey Slobodan, I do believe it's time to toast with a well made Manhattan!. My current favorite is Woodford Reserve Bourbon along with the Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry Bitters  and your favorite Vermouth.

За дружбу!

I hope the Russian toast is the right one.

Kevin in CT

Always happy to drink to that (friendship)! Especially Manhattan. Though a Serbian equivalent would be:

Живели! (Long live!)

Speaking of toasts... especially Russian ones. When I was working in Russia for Johnson & Johnson in the mid-nineties, I was once invited to a company dinner with a lot of Russian business contacts (doctors, in this case). Working long hours and having nothing to eat all day, I was so looking forward to that dinner. My first attempt to transfer food from the plate to its destination was rudely interrupted mid-flight with a toast proposal. I lowered the fork and dutifully raised the glass in response to a lengthy toast extolling the virtues of friendship. At the end of it (though it seemed it would never end), I was so relieved, as i can finally go back to satisfy my hunger, now exacerbated by all the food on the table (if you've ever seen a Russian dinner table, you'd know all the food is on it simultaneously, especially when it comes to first courses). At that moment, cultural differences kicked in. You see, in my home country, a toast is a singular affair, relatively short and delivered by the host. So, after the toast, my fork started its second flight attempt, when I was introduced to the Russian custom of counter-toast: a guest decided to respond to the first toast with a (lengthy, of course) toast of his own. Once again, I dutifully dropped the fork and picked up the glass. I knew drinking on an empty stomach is not a good idea, so I'd just sip. Which caused me to learn the second rule of Russian toasts: certain toasts require bottoms-up. Those would be celebrating our children, wives, parents, homeland, etc. Not doing bottoms-up for those would be considered rather rude. Long story short, after several counter-toasts that followed, I was already half-drunk and still very hungry :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:45:43 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

amolitor

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:37 pm »

Farley Mowat relates this same custom in his book The Siberians but notes that as you go east, the drink of choice changes unexpectedly from vodka to more or less pure grain alcohol. A Canadian, trained for a few weeks in the western reaches of Russia, meets an ugly fate the first dinner with ethanol. He relied, he claims, on his wife's notes for the chapter on that particular dinner.

Edward Starkie

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »

That reminds me of my father, who in WWII was in Alaska in the Army Air Corp fitting airplanes for the Soviets to use against the Germans. The Russians were there to see to the work on the planes which included adding cannons to the forward fuselage that could blow up trains and tanks. At dinner, one of his friends, the base doctor, got so drunk that he danced on the table and then fell face forward passed out in some dip. They had to carry him to bed and he woke up with dip in his hair. The CO of the base cheated on the toasts and had a vodka bottle in front of him filled with water, so one night they replaced the water and the CO chugged a large glass of vodka. Before he too passed out!  :D

Congratulations, gripping image.

Edward Starkie

Always happy to drink to that (friendship)! Especially Manhattan. Though a Serbian equivalent would be:

Живели! (Long live!)

Speaking of toasts... especially Russian ones. When I was working in Russia for Johnson & Johnson in the mid-nineties, I was once invited to a company dinner with a lot of Russian business contacts (doctors, in this case). Working long hours and having nothing to eat all day, I was so looking forward to that dinner. My first attempt to transfer food from the plate to its destination was rudely interrupted mid-flight with a toast proposal. I lowered the fork and dutifully raised the glass in response to a lengthy toast extolling the virtues of friendship. At the end of it (though it seemed it would never end), I was so relieved, as i can finally go back to satisfy my hunger, now exacerbated by all the food on the table (if you've ever seen a Russian dinner table, you'd know all the food is on it simultaneously, especially when it comes to first courses). At that moment, cultural differences kicked in. You see, in my home country, a toast is a singular affair, relatively short and delivered by the host. So, after the toast, my fork started its second flight attempt, when I was introduced to the Russian custom of counter-toast: a guest decided to respond to the first toast with a (lengthy, of course) toast of his own. Once again, I dutifully dropped the fork and picked up the glass. I knew drinking on an empty stomach is not a good idea, so I'd just sip. Which caused me to learn the second rule of Russian toasts: certain toasts require bottoms-up. Those would be celebrating our children, wives, parents, homeland, etc. Not doing bottoms-up for those would be considered rather rude. Long story short, after several counter-toasts that followed, I was already half-drunk and still very hungry :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 01:43:04 pm »

Somehow I missed this. It's fabulous, Slobodan. Bravo -- a couple times over!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 06:46:37 am »

Slobodan, congratulations!

Kevin, thanks for posting!

BR
Erik

Thanks, Kevin! You are the first to break the news to me!  Any link (I can't find it on their website)?
Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 08:52:18 am »

Russ and Erik,

Thanks for traveling one year into the past. I guess it makes all three of us a year younger? I'll drink to that! And to the new year!

Happy New Year, everyone!

P.S. Then again, I do have some more recent successes: http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com/blog/2016/12/11th-black-and-white-spider-awards---3-images-awarded  :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:05:20 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 09:11:33 am »

Nice one Slobodan and well deserved.

You really can't beat the impressiveness of a super large grand landscape pano imho and you certainly nailed a good one here Slobodan ;)

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:02 am »

Yes, Slobodan does very fine cityscapes and landscapes, among other things.

But I haven't seen any bird photos from him that are in the same league as Glen Bartley's!

Come on, Slobodan, show us what you can do!    ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 09:39:06 am »

Nice work!  It appears you are now going beyond being a a photographer to being an artist! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up