Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a7r2 tether "speed"  (Read 1805 times)

orc73

a7r2 tether "speed"
« on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:05 pm »

question to those having a a7r2(and maybe c1):
how long does it take to transfer images while shooting tethered?
the sony is usb2, which in theory is about 10 times slower then usb3.
My 5dsr needs about 2 seconds per image.
So I really wonder if tethering is an option in a fashion shooting with the sony.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
Re: a7r2 tether "speed"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »

I shot a whole day tethered with my A7r2 yesterday to C1 and it's definitely slower than 2 sec, maybe 5 seconds per image. It's frustrating Sony didn't make it USB 3. I also filled the buffer a few times and had to wait until some images off loaded before I could keep shooting. But I've had that problem in the past with Canon cameras too.

orc73

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:46:08 am »

thanks! I was hoping it could not be the limiting factor.

orc73

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:28 am »

update: I just figured out as my mac pro has usb2 (usualy I shoot to the macbook ) and a usb3 pci card. So I tested both connections with my 5dsr.
Result, both need about 2 seconds to have the image appear in c1. (btw: LR is slower to my experience, but I did not test that this time)

So the USB connection indeed does not seem to be a limiting factor for tethering.

jamesconkle

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:17:09 pm »

Sorry to revive an older thread but I was really interested in the tethering preformance of the A7rII. It's really unfortunate that it comes in at around 5 seconds. But I was also curious  how the 5DSR preforms.

A 2 second lag time doesn't seem like a terribly long time, does it become a bother? And how long can you keep shooting before the buffer fills if you shoot every half second or so?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up