Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuring an iMac  (Read 3707 times)

nvw

Configuring an iMac
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »

I am configuring an iMac and have a question about storage. I'll start off by saying I am not a professional photographer so I do not have terabytes of data to store. At the moment I have about 200GB of images, 100GB of that is from this year alone and I expect to maintain that rate yearly.

My question is whether I'd be better off in the long run with 256GB of flash storage for software and use external drives for my Lightroom library or a 2TB or 3TB fusion drive and keep my library in the iMac system? An Apple adviser recommended using the 256GB flash an getting either a USB3 or Thunderbolt drive(s).

I'll still have 2 external drives for backups.

Thanks.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Configuring an iMac
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:24:41 pm »

My question is whether I'd be better off in the long run with 256GB of flash storage for software and use external drives for my Lightroom library or a 2TB or 3TB fusion drive and keep my library in the iMac system?
I dedicate an entire external drive to only images, Lightroom and all it's associated files. That way, it's super easy to clone (copy) that drive to as many others as you desire. One for location, one for rotation in a fire proof safe etc. You can take any of those external drives and hook them up to any other machine (Mac or Windows) with a copy of Lightroom and you've got access to all your data.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nvw

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:13:20 am »

Simple and efficient. Thanks for the suggestion. 

pflower

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:32:40 pm »

I just bought a new iMac 27 inch Retina and wondered about the same things.  I already had 2 x G-Tech 4 TB drives one of which stores my photographs and the other backs it up.  Since I had these with an earlier iMac these are both Firewire 800.  I also have a bewildering number of other portable drives with backups scattered across them.

I personally went for the 3TB Fusion Drive and connect the 4TB drive via the thunderbolt to firewire adapter (had I not already had them, I would have gone for thunderbolt versions).  On the basis that I accumulate an awful load of junk, videos and other files my reasoning was that bigger was better - so hence the Fusion Drive.  I keep applications on the Fusion Drive - should theoretically be accessed from the ssd part of it.  But  I also have an external ssd connected on which I keep the Lightroom Catalog.  To be perfectly honest for still photography I am not sure the speed benefits are hugely significant. I have a lot of 200+MB tiffs from scanned negatives and can't really tell much difference when working with them directly from the G Tech drives or in a temporary folder on the ssd - they load pretty much instantaneously.  On smaller digital raw files the difference is even less, so I just work from my (theoretically outdated Firewire drives) with no problem.

In any event I am very satisfied with this system - it is responsive and fast.

lhodaniel

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:48:57 pm »

You can take any of those external drives and hook them up to any other machine (Mac or Windows) with a copy of Lightroom and you've got access to all your data.

How do you handle file system compatibility for Mac/Win? Do you use one of the utilities that allows full NTFS on the Mac or HFS+ on Windows, or do you format with FAT32 or exFAT on your external drives? I ordered a 15" rMBP today.  ;D I plan to switch over to it exclusively, but might need to return to one of the Win boxes in an emergency.

Lloyd

sjprg

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:34:10 pm »

You can either use a cheapie NAS or better yet use a network switch/router and just connect the two or more machines through the SMB.
Paul

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:57:23 am »

Along lines of DD's suggestion.  External storage (standalone or RAIDs) are getting faster & cheaper every day - use that to your advantage in terms of declining $$ / GB and ability to safely compartmentalize and backup files.

OS and Apps on internal SSD and files on fast external drives, stored in a logical fashion for ease of backups. Put in place backup system using larger/slower drives where speed not an issue and have a program like CarbonCopyCloner do automated backups on schedules you set. 

Don't forget to also backup your internal SSD so can, worst case, get a new machine up & running easily.  Rotating external backups, even if not a  pro, are always a very, very good idea.

Once you have a system you're happy with, it becomes almost effortless and then you can grow it in terms of sophistication and speed as, or if, things warrant. It doesn't take much in terms of $$$ to get a good backup system & discipline started (you'll evolve it over time), but man, you'll kiss yourself in the mirror if you ever need it.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:13:44 am »

My idea is that both options will do the trick; fusion or SSD

Important is that the SSD will be big enough -now and in the future- to store your system+email+programs.
I think a 256GB SSD will be sufficient.
Music, movies and images could be stored on external connected harddisks.

As mentioned you NEED a backup - so you need some external harddisk.

If you are sure you have for a long time room enough in a 3TB harddisk , than you could choose that one combined with a NAS connected though (wireless) ethernet.
That will be the most uncluttered solution.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

LeonD

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:13 am »

Timely discussion as I have a new iMac coming in this week.  It'll be used mostly for photography (Lightroom).

It'll have a 500Gb internal SSD drive.  I'm thinking I'll use that for the OS and applications.  While I could fit my photos on there, I think I'd out grow it soon.  So my plan is to put the photos on an external HD.

Regarding the external HD, I can go with either an SSD or conventional.  It'd be connected via Thunderbolt.  While I know the SSD would be faster, would I notice an difference in performance storing my photos on the SSD drive vs the conventional?

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:30 pm »

It'll have a 500Gb internal SSD drive.  I'm thinking I'll use that for the OS and applications.  While I could fit my photos on there, I think I'd out grow it soon.  So my plan is to put the photos on an external HD.

How soon is soon?  6 months, a year?  Start with the internal SSD and see if you notice a difference - it'll impact what you buy for an external.

Regarding the external HD, I can go with either an SSD or conventional.  It'd be connected via Thunderbolt.  While I know the SSD would be faster, would I notice an difference in performance storing my photos on the SSD drive vs the conventional?

Depends on a lot of things, mostly the size of the raw files, and how many you're working with.  Generally speaking, Thunderbolt adds $100ish to the interface for the drive, so keep that in mind.  You will notice a difference in speed, that's a guarantee, just a matter if the difference impacts you or not.  Work a bit against photos on your local SSD, then try them via the external.  Your workflow could be import/edit on internal SSD, then archive to external hard drive(s).  Toss in a backup solution and you should be good.
t: @PNWMF

LeonD

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »

How soon is soon?  6 months, a year?  Start with the internal SSD and see if you notice a difference - it'll impact what you buy for an external.

Thanks for your reply.

The internal drive will last at least a year if not longer at the rate I'm adding pictures.

Depends on a lot of things, mostly the size of the raw files, and how many you're working with.  Generally speaking, Thunderbolt adds $100ish to the interface for the drive, so keep that in mind.  You will notice a difference in speed, that's a guarantee, just a matter if the difference impacts you or not.  Work a bit against photos on your local SSD, then try them via the external.  Your workflow could be import/edit on internal SSD, then archive to external hard drive(s).  Toss in a backup solution and you should be good.

My pics are in the 30 Mb range (but a new camera this year might up that a bit). 

I'm guessing that when Lightroom is working on a photo, it would be stored in RAM and on the internal SSD drive.  If that's the case, the time difference between an external drive (SSD vs conventional) would be how long it takes for Lightroom to load the pic.  I'm thinking it won't make a huge difference.

Joe Towner

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »

I'm guessing that when Lightroom is working on a photo, it would be stored in RAM and on the internal SSD drive.  If that's the case, the time difference between an external drive (SSD vs conventional) would be how long it takes for Lightroom to load the pic.  I'm thinking it won't make a huge difference.

So Lightroom is odd in that it'll rely on the previews unless you go to 100%, which means as long as your Lightroom catalog (and thus Previews) is on the SSD, you'll not notice a lot until you start doing things like merging to a panorama.  I find it funny how you can now add a 2tb SSD via USB3 and a 4tb standard hard drive, both in laptop drive, USB3 direct plug.  Stack them on the base or grab one of the shelf things and it'll keep your workspace nice and clean (unlike mine).
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up