Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 - Big problem with headstrikes  (Read 12191 times)

howardm

Re: P800 - Big problem with headstrikes
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:44 am »

paper being stored in original poly bag?

do you have a read on the humidity in the room?  Maybe the paper is 'dry' and when moistened by ink it swells or something?  (really really reaching here ;) )

So it's *only* Canson Baryta?  Did you check any others?

number8

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 08:46:27 am »

I don't run this printer on Windows so I can't see what it provides for platen gap settings, but you should be able to find that by opening the appropriate dropdown in the driver menu on your computer to see. Set it to the widest it allows from the computer and see what happens. This paper should work fine in that printer - but as Howard says, if there is curl, try to de-curl it first.

Ok, I know where the setting is in the printer driver on the computer. But I don't find it on the printer itself.

There's no curl on the paper. They are very flat out of the box. Thanks!

number8

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 08:47:25 am »

Are these boxed sheets or cut off a roll?

These are all boxed sheets in A2 size. Tried with both Canson Baryta and Harman FB Gloss.

number8

Re: P800 - Big problem with headstrike
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 08:50:33 am »

paper being stored in original poly bag?

do you have a read on the humidity in the room?  Maybe the paper is 'dry' and when moistened by ink it swells or something?  (really really reaching here ;) )

So it's *only* Canson Baryta?  Did you check any others?

Yeah, they are stored in the bag as they was delivered. I don't have any control over humidity in my space, neither do I have a reader for that. 

mikeb10

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »

I had a similar problem with Epson R3000 and Red River San Gabriel paper (13x19).  Never found a workable printer setting but I did find a workable solution.......simply using a support ( i.e. like the top of the paper box) in the output tray. It's worked for me for roughly 3 years now.......maybe not the preferred solution but it could be worth a try.

howardm

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »

that trick usually solves the end of the paper headstrike scenario where the paper is effectively hanging and then starts bending downward as it passes through the printer.

From the OPs picture, it seems like the strikes are right in the center, as though the paper came off a roll and had a hump in the middle

number8

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 02:59:21 pm »

Having tried everything I can think of and some of your tips I just can't get this paper / printer combo to work. I'm thinking of returning it and wait for the Canon Pro 1000. It will be available in February here in Europe.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 03:22:04 pm »

Perhaps it would be best to contact tech support once again.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

number8

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 03:28:12 pm »

I have tried that but they are really not interested in helping out with third party papers.  :(

howardm

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 03:32:04 pm »

What makes you think there won't be some other weird problems w/ the Canon 1000 ?

There are a number of papers that are very similar to the Canson  that may not have issue.

You haven't ruled out simply a 'defective' batch of Canson Baryta paper.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 03:32:24 pm »

Ah! Well, have you had the same problem with Epson paper of similar character to the 3rd party paper giving you the problem?

number8

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 03:38:06 pm »

What makes you think there won't be some other weird problems w/ the Canon 1000 ?

There are a number of papers that are very similar to the Canson  that may not have issue.

You haven't ruled out simply a 'defective' batch of Canson Baryta paper.

I have tried papers from two different boxes of Canson Baryta (from different suppliers). I have also tried the Harman FB Gloss and got the same problems on that paper.

From what I have read the Pro 1000 has a vacuum feed system that holds the paper in place just as on large format printers. It's a guess, but I think that would eliminate the problem. Or make it very less likely to happen.

I like the Canson best of all Baryt papers I have seen, and I have seen many.

number8

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:13 pm »

Ah! Well, have you had the same problem with Epson paper of similar character to the 3rd party paper giving you the problem?

The only Epson paper I have is the Premium Luster and that one comes through clean. However, it's much thinner.

number8

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 03:42:14 pm »

Another observation that may be of interest to some is that the P800 does produce the same "pizza wheel" marks as the 3800/3880. They are showing up on the Baryta.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 03:45:31 pm »

I've run a fair bit of Baryta and even heavier papers through the P800 and not experienced pizza wheels. If you like the Canson Baryta Photographique, you may wish to try Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which is almost the same. See whether you get strikes with that one.

number8

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »

I've run a fair bit of Baryta and even heavier papers through the P800 and not experienced pizza wheels. If you like the Canson Baryta Photographique, you may wish to try Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which is almost the same. See whether you get strikes with that one.

Have you tried printing a really dark image with dense blacks? If you look at what happens to the print after the printhead section, ie the pizza wheels, it's not a surprise that these ones show up.
They are not visible in lighter areas, only dark. And under a good light source, but they are there.

I have a good stock of Baryta Photographique and for me to switch to another paper would be pricey, that's why I'm thinking about returning it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 04:20:37 pm »

Yes, and no pizza wheels.

Rand47

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

I suggest buying some Epson Exhibition Fiber paper, similar thickness, probably a little less flat in my experience.  If you have the same problem, Epson tech support will be forced to cooperate, I'd think. 

Also, just FYI, I'm having no problems with Canson or Ilford baryta papers on my P600.  Normal platen gap, paper thickness set to 5, high speed turned off.  I did have "tail end" of paper strikes at default "3" paper thickness.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 06:00:14 am »

I have tried papers from two different boxes of Canson Baryta (from different suppliers). I have also tried the Harman FB Gloss and got the same problems on that paper.

From what I have read the Pro 1000 has a vacuum feed system that holds the paper in place just as on large format printers. It's a guess, but I think that would eliminate the problem. Or make it very less likely to happen.

I like the Canson best of all Baryt papers I have seen, and I have seen many.

I am on the same path, having exactly the same problem with Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta in my R3000. I, too, am looking at the Canon Pro 1000 for a solution.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 01:46:21 pm »

It appears the printer may have a defect in the transport mechanism or you may have something stuck in there.  A small piece of tape, etc- if the problem persists on Exhibition Fiber that would validate it. It should handle that paper just fine.

Have you contacted the dealer? they may be willing to help you out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up