Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke damage to Printer and film scanners  (Read 1385 times)

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
Smoke damage to Printer and film scanners
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:07:54 pm »

I need a bit of advice about smoke damage to printers and scanners.

I had a fire at my house two weeks ago. The upstairs was heavily damaged but the basement got only light smoke damage. In the basement is my printer, an Epson 9800, an Imacon Flextight Precision II scanner, and an Epson 9000EV film scanner.  Each has a light coating of soot on the outer surfaces.  Can anyone tell me, from experience or otherwise, how badly damaged they might be, and who might be able (if it's even possible) to clean them into good condition?  Both I and the insurance adjuster would like to know.

I have, BTW, been able to operate the printer enough to put Jon Cone's Piezo Flush into it. I'm not sure that was a great idea, but felt it was necessary, as the machine will sit unused in an unheated area for three or four months, they tell me.  So, can anyone say whether the flush will help protect against freezing?  I'm in Wyoming, which has some rather harsh winter weather.

Thanks for your time and attention,

Regards,
Walter Hawn
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

Doug Fisher

Re: Smoke damage to Printer and film scanners
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:16:39 pm »

Sorry to hear about your fire.  Hopefully you got lucky and the light soot is just on the outside surface and didn't make it into the internals that much.  I would contact Imacon/Hassleblad and get an estimate for a cleaning/checkup to give to the insurance company.  There are instructions on the internet for opening and cleaning parts of the Nikon 9000.  You might be able to do DIY on that one.  Maybe there is a youtube video in regard to the procedure too.  I don't think Nikon services them now.

Doug

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
Re: Smoke damage to Printer and film scanners
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:55:28 am »

Thanks, Doug,

Good suggestion on getting in touch with Imacon/Hassleblad.  And I'll look for the Epson instructions. 

Walt
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming
Pages: [1]   Go Up