Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argyll + Colormunki Photo  (Read 5140 times)

ppmax2

Argyll + Colormunki Photo
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:59:48 am »

Hi--

I'm following Anders Torger's tutorial at the link below:
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/photography/argyll-print.html

I have successfully printed 4 charts and am trying to scan these with my CM Photo device using this command:
chartered -v -H -T0.4 patches

When executing this command I am asked to switch the device to calibrate mode...which is performed without problems.

However each time I try to scan a row of patches I receive an error:
Strip read failed due to misread (Not enough patches)

...so I try again, and again, and again...

What am I doing wrong? Before scanning, I place my device on the white margin of the paper, press and hold the scan button, swipe it from right-to-left, and then release the scan button once I've reached the white margin on the other side of the page.

Going bonkers...any tips appreciated.

thx
PP

francois

Re: Argyll + Colormunki Photo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:40:43 pm »

I cannot explain why you're not able to read  your chart. I found in a log file that I used the follow command for my charts/patches:

chartread -r -p -v -H -B -T0.4 arg_ep3880_clpw_bar_v3

I never encountered errors during the patch reading part except for the obvious mishandling of the ColorMunki puck.

Try to contact the author.
Francois

ppmax2

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »

Hello Francois--

Thank you for your reply...and for posting the chartread command that you used previously. I'll give it a whirl. I see you used a few switches that I haven't tried yet....so maybe I'll have success.

Thanks again
PP

aderickson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 01:34:02 pm »

It's been a few months since I did my calibration but my patch sheets had the column letters across the top and I ran the instrument vertically down the column to read, not right to left.

It did require some practice to consistently get error-free readings.

Allan

ppmax2

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:02:03 pm »

Thank you all for the replies. I think I figured it out...after being prompted to "trigger the instrument" I had to wait until the terminal responded with a "newline" which (apparently) means that the instrument is ready to read. Which means that I was able to scan all patches on 4 pages--hooray.

However, I was getting these types of messages after scanning every other row or so:

There is at least one patch with an very unexpected response! (DeltaE 41.797378)
Hit Return to use it anyway, any other key to retry, Esc or  'q' to give up:

That's a big DE...so I ended up just accepting these and plowing forward. We'll see how the profile works in real life...

Thanks again
PP

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:09:18 pm »

I think I figured it out...after being prompted to "trigger the instrument" I had to wait until the terminal responded with a "newline" which (apparently) means that the instrument is ready to read. Which means that I was able to scan all patches on 4 pages--hooray.
General information on how to use a strip reading instrument is here.
You should locate the instrument on a white portion at the start of the strip, press and hold the button until there is a beep, and then run the instrument over the strip, releasing the button in the white portion at the end of the strip. Hand help strip instruments can be a little tricky to use.

If you are not getting a beep, then it's best to get it working. See here for installation information.

RHPS

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:30:04 pm »

Torger's tutorial is very good, but you may also find this useful http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-basic-guide-see-post-1-to-setting-up-argyll-cms-profiling-on-your-computer.8570/ A very long thread but with some very useful material in it.

ppmax2

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 07:57:32 pm »

>>If you are not getting a beep, then it's best to get it working.

I think that was it. I wasn't waiting long enough for the beep. I just did a couple test swipes and (after waiting for the beep) all was good.

>>Torger's tutorial is very good, but you may also find this useful http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-basic-guide-see-post-1-to-setting-up-argyll-cms-profiling-on-your-computer.8570/ A very long thread but with some very useful material in it.

Thanks much--I'll check that out.

Thank you again for all the replies--much appreciated.

PP

ppmax2

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 01:23:34 am »

Hi again--

I've calibrated my monitor with dispCalGUI (D65) and have profiled my printer with Argyll and the CM Photo device. With Argyll, I used 420 patches and opted for a RelCol only profile. I then print using the Relative Colometric intent with my custom profile. Of course, on screen I'm soft proofing with my custom profile too.

For the most part I'm pretty happy--my screen matches my test print very closely. I'm viewing my prints using a "daylight" 5000K LED bulb (can't afford a booth). I've also viewed my prints under real daylight. For testing I used this image:
http://www.jirvana.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip

However, flesh tones are noticeably yellower/oranger in my prints vs. my screen. Grays are neutral...it's just that it seems I have an overabundance of yellow/orange in the flesh tones.

Does anyone have any tips for how I might fix this?

Thx
PP

unesco

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 03:30:47 am »

However, flesh tones are noticeably yellower/oranger in my prints vs. my screen. Grays are neutral...it's just that it seems I have an overabundance of yellow/orange in the flesh tones.

Does anyone have any tips for how I might fix this?

Thx
PP

Calibrate/profile your monitor to 5500 or 5000 K, it usually helps ;-)

ppmax2

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 09:34:19 am »

Calibrate/profile your monitor to 5500 or 5000 K, it usually helps ;-)

Thanks for your reply unesco--much appreciated.

I don't think it will help in this case...as I said the PrinterEvaluationImage referenced below looks pretty spot on. However, a print I made last night has a distinct amber cast in the flesh tones, but everything else looks good. I've checked the image and all the colors are within gamut...so there doesn't appear to be any re-mapping of color going on here. It's like this particular set of tone makes the printer go a bit bonkers ;)

thx
PP

ppmax2

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 10:38:37 am »

I think I found the issue...but I can't figure out why this may be happening.

I am using Capture One Pro 9 and I created an output recipe that uses the custom printer profile I created. When editing my image I select this process which allows me to see a soft proof. Once I'm done editing I then print the image and make sure to select my custom printer profile...and for the most part the print matches my screen. Except for a print I did last night.

I have been reading about how to generate soft-proofs using tifficc, mainly following Torger's tutorial here:
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/photography/argyll-print.html#soft_proofing

Out of curiosity, I ran my "original" image through the following command:
tifficc -v -w -t1 -b -m3 -d0 -e -p PP\ Epson\ Premim\ Luster\ RELCOL.icc -o ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/iMac\ \#1\ 2015-12-12\ 13-06\ 2.2\ M-S\ XYZLUT+MTX.icc 2011-05-07_06-24-05.tif proof.tif

According to the documentation, this will process my original image using my custom printer profile, and then will run it through my custom display profile to create a soft proof.

Strangely enough, when viewing the proof.tif on my screen it matches my print exactly! (I've attached the "original" and the soft-proof below).

My question is:
Since my print matches the soft proof generated by the tifficc command above, why is this not what I see in Capture One? My understanding of the display pipeline is to render the raw data, then send it through the custom print profile in my output recipe, then send it through the display profile to generate the image on screen. As shown by the tifficc command above, this is what happens there too.

As shown in the attached images, the "proof" (which matches my print) has a distinct overabundance of amber in the skin tones.

Thx--
PP

PS Please note the images below need to be "expanded" (clicked on) to see the true color.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:27:27 pm by ppmax2 »

ppmax2

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 02:40:24 pm »

Based upon these tests and observations it appears that:
1. Somehow, when printing, the image is being transformed using my current display profile...although I can't understand how this might happen. Again, the soft proof produced with Argyll matches the printed image...but the print does not match what I see in C1.
2. The color shown in the proof are really there, but somehow I'm not seeing this in C1. Could it be that my display can't show these colors?

Here is a comparison of my display profile vs. my printer profile. As shown in the image below there is a whole bunch of yellows and oranges (and blues/greens) that are out of gamut for the display profile. Could this be the reason that when I edit in C1 I am not seeing the true colors of the image?

thx--
PP

ppmax2

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 12:33:54 pm »

Just wanted to bump this topic in case anyone has seen this before or has any suggestions.

thx
PP

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:56 pm »

Seems like you figured this out. One suggestion I would make that seems to reduce read errors is to place a piece of paper under the printed chart. That will cancel any translucency that might impact certain papers. Here is my basic script for the process. Sample here is for a 17x22" Canon Semigloss paper using photo black ink. I am maxing out the number of patches at 900 without needing to do another page. My inkset is a custom OCP with OEM for the vivid magenta and vivid light magenta so I need to profile every paper that I use. This combined with a profile made for the monitor gives me exact color matching across the entire workflow. The R3880-PK.icm is a conditioning profile I did previously for this printer/ink combo.

targen -v -d2 -c R3880-PK.icm -G -g32 -f900 "Epson R3880 OCP-OEM Hybrid Canon Semigloss 260 - PK"
printtarg -v -iCM -h -R1 -T300 -p 431x558 "Epson R3880 OCP-OEM Hybrid Canon Semigloss 260 - PK"
chartread -v -H -B -T0.4 "Epson R3880 OCP-OEM Hybrid Canon Semigloss 260 - PK"
colprof -v -qh -S AdobeRGB1998.icc -dpp -D"Epson R3880 OCP-OEM Hybrid Canon Semigloss 260 - PK" "Epson R3880 OCP-OEM Hybrid Canon Semigloss 260 - PK"
Pages: [1]   Go Up