Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meike MK-AR7 Battery Grip?  (Read 1663 times)

Jens Peermann

Meike MK-AR7 Battery Grip?
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:52:42 am »

I just came across this Battery Grip and it may be the solution to two problems that bug me.

#1  Twisting between the Sony A7 and the Manfroto Quick Release Plate. This wasn't a problem as long as I attached the plate on the Metabones adapter to secure the camera/lens combo to the ballhead. But now that I have a Loxia lens in my collection I had to put the plate on the camera and that causes twisting because the bottom of the camera is not very wide. Ironically, it does not happen with the Loxia, only when the Canon mount lenses are attached via adapter. I hope the wider bottom part of the battery grip will stop that.

#2  This grip comes with a wireless remote which would liberate me from the wired one I am using right now. After killing my Canon 5D2 when the mini USB connector burned up from frequent plugging and unplugging of the remote, I just don't trust those connectors to last very long and will be more comfortable with a wireless one.

I initially considered the Vello grip for this camera, because the Vello grip on my 7D is much better than the OEM Canon Grips I had used in the past on various cameras. But a review I came across reported problems with the Vello for the A7 when a QR plate is attached. Its plastic housing gets distorted and the door and battery tray wont fit anymore.

None of the reviews I read about the Meike grip reported such a thing, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. So I am wondering if someone on this forum has experience with this grip and is willing to share it.

Thanks,
Jens

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Re: Meike MK-AR7 Battery Grip?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:42:26 pm »

Ditto from me, too.  With my a7R2, my BG works well, secures tightly to the body, doesn't flex (apparently), and my wireless RC also works simply and immediately.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:53:43 am »

Thanks for your input Paul and Jeffrey. I have one on order now and will share my experience with it as soon as I have some.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:48:52 am »

Well, the grip arrived and it functions as it is supposed to. Interesting is that the on/off switch on the grip applies only to the shutter and function buttons on the grip, but not to the power supply and the remote. When turned off, camera and remote will still function, but accidentally hitting the shutter button will not have any consequences. I like that.

The remote needs to be studied in depth by trial and error. The manual does not easily reveal its secrets. No big deal.

The connection between the grip and the QR plate is flex free, but the connection between grip and camera is not. It's a lot less than what I had with the QR plate directly attached to the camera, but still not acceptable because even a minute amount of flex will eventually weaken the tripod socket on the camera. The problem is a very small gap between the underside of the camera's grip and the corresponding area on the battery grip, even when the connecting bolt is tightened to the max. I solved this by applying silicon to that area on the grip, attaching and tightening the battery grip, removing the excess silicon that oozed out from between the two, and then leaving that assembly untouched for 36 hours to let the silicon cure thoroughly. It's rock solid now and holds even my heaviest collar-less lens plus Metabones adapter without the slightest flex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up