Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

p9000 auto clean issue

(1/5) > >>

Wayne Fox:
My p9000 just came in about a week ago.  I've been working on getting it setup through the week including building profiles.  Seems solid, dMax is observably darker, on some images this can be seen with a slight improvement in subtle detail in shadows.  Profiles seem to provide a slightly different look than my 9900, especially in areas of magenta's.  AT first I thought the profiles were bad, but then realized the print actually renders those shades closer to the display than the 9900 did.  Not sure why. Maybe my 9900 profiles had an issue, or even the printer.  Will research that a little bit more over the next month.

However, there are two very negative observations I have discovered. Even though the nozzle detect circuitry was introduced many years ago, it still performs just as poorly in triggering nozzle checks despite a perfect nozzle print pattern.  I cannot understand why this technology hasn't either been refined to make it useful, or changed, (or just scrapped).  I left the auto nozzle checks on just to see if there was an improvement, and about 1 out of every 4 prints triggered a clean.  so the function is still as worthless as it's ever been.

which leads me to the second issue which is another thing I can't understand.  With the previous generation of printers, a nozzle check followed by clean (if the check failed) was built into the startup of the machine which wasn't disabled by setting nozzle checks to manual. Since the circuity checking wasn't reliable and triggered unnecessary cleans frequently, it was a real issue. Eventually they issued a firmware update which addressed this, adding an option in the maintenance menu.  The p9000 again will do an auto nozzle check when its starts up, and clean if it thinks it needs to, despite turning the ANC feature off.  But the maintenance menu is now a simple menu with one choice that says custom and no clue what it does, so there appears to be no way to disable startup auto nozzle checks..

I love the output from this new printer, and the usability and build quality of these epson printers is first rate.  but why they don't understand the issue of wasting ink with a useless auto nozzle check feature is puzzling (to say it nicely).

I'm hoping I'm wrong and there is something I'm missing to turn off this function, but it doesn't appear the user has control over it.

arobinson7547:
Could it be that Epson sells ink and the more ink the Printer uses; the more they sell? Epson can control WHEN Ink Carts trigger empty (physically empty or not) and when Maintenance Carts trigger full (physically full or not)

You could think its a LOT of things but a 'mistake' or 'flaw' or 'oversight'; I don't think so. I think it is by choice and design.

You now only have to ask, Why?

JRSmit:
Wayne, I got my p7000 yesterday. My p9000 will be januari.
Can you elaborate more?
I do not noticed an auto clean at startup.
I have clean timer set at 60hrs.
Where in your menu you get this "custom" ?

iCanvas:
Wayne, have you called Epson tech to see what they say? Since you are a dealer in Epson, you would need to know these things to as a selling point to a future customer. What you have observed is very important to me and others. Would like as much clarity as possible because I will be in the market for one of these in a few months.

Thanks,

Gar

Farmer:
Wayne - two things:

1. Even with ANC turned off, it will check if you switch blacks or after an initial ink charging.

2. If Timer Cleaning is set, then it will check after the specified period has elapsed - this includes if you turn it on and that time has elapsed (which would then look like it was doing it at startup).  You can set Timer Cleaning to "Off" to avoid this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version