Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 6 still opening wrong copy of PS  (Read 6026 times)

eliedinur

Re: LR 6 still opening wrong copy of PS
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 07:50:48 am »

Sue, I think you have a basic misunderstanding of what LR does. Photo files (Raws, tiffs, jpgs, etc.) are not "in" Lightroom. LR is basically a large indexed text file, a 'database' although LR prefers to call it a catalog. The database is first of all a list of all the photos you have imported and secondly additional notes about where they are located in the computer, about what edits you want done when the image is exported into a new photo file, about what tags and keywords you want to have associated with it, about what collections it belongs to, and similar bits of information. But all this is just information about the photo file (metadata); it is not the photo itself, which sits quite independently of LR somewhere else in the computer or on an external drive connected to the computer. And the original photo file is never changed by LR, for display on your monitor LR makes its own preview images.

So you could have references to the same photo in two different catalogs and you would have double catalogs and double previews but still one photo file. It should never be necessary to import an image more than once. Remove the references from one of the catalogs or delete the whole catalog and there are no more doubles.

The process I outlined above, export as catalog/import from catalog, copies all the references to Venice-Belgium from the LR5 catalog to the LR6 catalog so that the LR6 catalog will have the same information about the same photos - wherever they may be.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

howardm

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 09:50:06 am »

the database used by LR is a true database (see www.sqlite.org), not an indexed text file.

I haven't read the whole thread but as noted, the files/photos do NOT exist in the database, only 'metadata' (information about the photos) does.  So, you can either export as a catalog the desired photos from LR5 and import into 6 or if you have a LR6 database that is separate from the LR5, just re-import them into LR6 (assuming you've made no changes to the images in LR5 (keywords, tags, develop, etc)

eliedinur

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

the database used by LR is a true database (see www.sqlite.org), not an indexed text file.
Granted I oversimplified the explanation, but for a poster who seems to be a bit less than total LR whiz I thought it justified.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

free2australian

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 04:25:39 pm »

I appreciate your remarks.

I am going away for a week and when I return I will endeavour to carry out next step as you have suggested.

Sue

free2australian

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »

Just a thought.

Is it possible to copy the Venice Belgium Photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC?

Sue
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up