Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 6 still opening wrong copy of PS  (Read 6025 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
LR 6 still opening wrong copy of PS
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:47:30 pm »

This is an old problem on Mac OS, but I still cannot believe that the LR developers can't figure out how to make sure LR always launches the copy of photoshop that resides the default system application folder (the same folder where the LR application resides).  It seems it will always find any copy of photoshop out there OTHER than the default one to launch.

It can't be that hard ...

rdonson

Re: LR 6 still opening wrong copy of PS
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 09:02:10 pm »

Sounds like the Lr preferences file got hosed. 

Quit Lr and restart Lr while holding Shift-Option-Delete and it will create a new preferences file after prompting you.

There are many things you'd think Adobe could do to avoid these kind of issues but..... they're a small company and evidently these issues are not high on their priority list.

I used to have to reset PS prefs periodically as well.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:06:41 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:12:45 pm »

After going through a period where Lr screwed this stuff up frequently I installed TPG LR Backup.  Since I use a lot of preset and plugins this saved me a lot of time reconstructing humpty dumpty when he fell off the wall.

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpglrbackup/
Regards,
Ron

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:52:23 am »

Same problem here. Very annoying.

Why can't Adobe just give us the option of specifying the file path to the Photoshop app that we want to use in Lightroom preferences?

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:39:04 am »

I'm still waiting for Adobe to focus a release or two on stability and performance.  New features are nice but not when the app is flaky.  Perhaps we need to make this clear to Adobe.
Regards,
Ron

free2australian

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 11:15:17 pm »

I have the same Problem with Lightroom CC that the wrong catalogue gets opened.

Sue

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:17:30 am »

I have the same Problem with Lightroom CC that the wrong catalogue gets opened.

That's a different problem. Open the correct catalogue, then go to Preferences, Default Catalog and choose the appropriate option.

free2australian

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:05:34 am »

Hi John

In reponse to your reply I re- set the options to open the the first  Lightroom Catalogue  which is the only one that  I have set up -  I have neve rever in practice opened up 2 Catalogues. 

So far Lightroom CC is behaving itself buy opening the correct Catalogue when I  open the latest Lightroom CC which is on my dock ( Mac).

However, which happened previously when I endeavoured to import  these  photos the incorrect Lightroom opened up and not the latest Lightroom CC catalogue.  Not realising this I imported these Venice/Belgium photos into the incorrect catalogue

This time I thought I would therefore via card reader import the same Venice/Blegium photos into the latest Lightroom CC when Lightroom CC ( Latest) was opened.

I could see by doing this the photos would not be imported into the incorrect  Catalogue which I did not originally set up as mentioned previously.

After ticking the photos I wanted to import I realised/remembered that these photos were already imported - though to the incorrect catalogue.

I immediately stopped the import as I did not want duplicate of these photos into my Lightroom picture folder - thus taking up more space on my HD, as well as confusing me.

My question what should I do next?   What is easiest. simplest?  That is,  to either delete the catalogue I do not want or move the (Venice/Belguim) photos to the catalogue I set up not what Adobe keeps on opening when importing photos.

Looking forward to hearing  from you

Sue

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 04:13:54 am »

However, which happened previously when I endeavoured to import  these  photos the incorrect Lightroom opened up and not the latest Lightroom CC catalogue.  Not realising this I imported these Venice/Belgium photos into the incorrect catalogue.

Have you more than one version of Lightroom installed? It sounds like the earlier version is being launched when the card is attached and Lightroom isn't already opened.

free2australian

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 05:53:06 am »

In response I checked my Applications folder and there seems to be 2 Lightroom versions within the Applications

see attachment.

I will be sending the 2nd attachment in my following post as each attachment exceed the size allowed for attachments

Not sure how to deal with it though?

Sue

free2australian

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 05:56:11 am »

Further to my last post re 2  versions of  Lightroom

Here is the 2nd email to attach the screen shot showing the 2nd version of Lightroom

Sue

free2australian

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 02:43:30 am »

I refer to my about post and was wandering if anybody can anybody assist me in this regard?

Sue

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03:24 am »

I refer to my about post and was wandering if anybody can anybody assist me in this regard?

As you can see from both the icons and the text, the first one you have found is a folder and the second is an application. The application is LR5. The folder may well contain LR v6; it's impossible to tell from what you've posted but it's the same size as the folder which contains LR6 in my own Applications folder..

Jeremy

free2australian

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 06:17:00 am »

I have had another look the one which you say is a folder  - says size  is 1.63 GB on disk

The 2nd  says 1.28 GB on disk - also says version Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7..Other than that I am unable to see any other information.  This does not make sense as I have previously downloaded the latest being  Lightroom 6.3  on the 27th November

What do I next next?

Sue

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 06:59:54 am »

I have had another look the one which you say is a folder  - says size  is 1.63 GB on disk

The 2nd  says 1.28 GB on disk - also says version Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7..Other than that I am unable to see any other information.  This does not make sense as I have previously downloaded the latest being  Lightroom 6.3  on the 27th November

What do I next next?

Sue

Lightroom 6.3 is a different version than 5.7 and they can both be installed on your computer. Upgrading to Lightroom 6 from LR 5 will not overwrite or uninstall the older version.
Check in your Applications folder and you can see what versions are currently installed, See the screen capture.

Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 01:02:51 pm »

What do I next next?

Open the folder and see what's inside it? I suspect you will find LR6.x

Jeremy

free2australian

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 01:47:35 am »

Hi Jeremy

Yes you are correct I found Lightroom CC 6.3 when opening the folder.
The next issues to overcome are

1. Why Lightroom 5.7 opens when I download photos from my card reader instead of Lightroom CC 6.3?

2. Also How to move the Venice/Belgium photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC 6.3?

Can you assist with this?

Sue

eliedinur

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 04:12:16 am »

1. Why Lightroom 5.7 opens when I download photos from my card reader instead of Lightroom CC 6.3?
Most likely because LR5's Preferences is set to "Show Import when a memory card is detected" or your OS's Auto-Play (Mac equivalent) is set to launch LR5, while the same is not true of LR6.

2. Also How to move the Venice/Belgium photos from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC 6.3?
If you want to retain LR5 on your computer, open it and in Library select the Venice/Belgium folder. Then under File select "Export as catalog", putting the exported catalog in a convenient place. Close LR5 and open LR6 and select "Import from catalog", selecting the catalog exported from LR5. Delete the exported catalog after it has been successfully imported to LR6.

However, I can see little reason to retain LR5 if LR6 is working well. I would backup the LR5 catalog and then import the entire LR5 catalog (Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat)  to LR6. Once you are satisfied that the entire catalog has been imported properly, you can uninstall LR5 (that will also solve the memory card problem) - but keep a record of your registration number and keep that backup copy of the catalog, if you think you might want to reinstall it in the future.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 04:34:25 am »

Hi Jeremy

Yes you are correct I found Lightroom CC 6.3 when opening the folder.
The next issues to overcome are

Can you assist with this?

Sue

The "export as catalogue" method which elied suggested should do it. Be careful with the settings as you do it, though, to make sure that your originals end up in the right place.

As to persuading LR5 not to open, the easiest way is to delete it, keeping a backup somewhere if you're nervous (I'm not sure that there's any reason for you to be). An alternative is this: with a card in your reader, open Image Capture (it'll be in your Applications folder), then select the reader in the devices list on the left and use the popup at the bottom of that column to configure "none" or LR6 to be opened when you insert a card.

I don't know how the "open import dialog" in LR and the Image Capture settings interact, I confess. It's been a very long time since I switched them all off.

Jeremy

free2australian

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 06:32:41 am »

I will give this a try soon as suggested

Now how  to get the Photos from Venice  and Belgium  that I inadvertently imported into Lightroom 5.7 library  to move into the library folder of  Lightroom CC.6.3 instead .  I am aware it is useless to upload them again via my card reader as I am doubling up the photos into my Mac's Picture folder?

sue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up