Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current State of Noise Reduction  (Read 4942 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Current State of Noise Reduction
« on: December 12, 2015, 05:08:20 pm »

I would like to solicit some opinions on this subject. I have always used Lightroom for this purpose, which seems to work well for my needs. I am commonly using modern full-frame dslrs and I do not normally use exceptionally high isos for my professional work. When I need maximum quality, I am normally using isos in the 100-200 range for static subjects (often with supplementary lighting and/or compositing), and seldom go above 640-800. However, for casual use and very occasional professional use I do need to use higher isos.  To this end, I am wondering if their are any better alternatives to Lightroom, when the goal is maximum quality.

AlterEgo

Re: Current State of Noise Reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:20:41 pm »

I would like to solicit some opinions on this subject. I have always used Lightroom for this purpose, which seems to work well for my needs. I am commonly using modern full-frame dslrs and I do not normally use exceptionally high isos for my professional work. When I need maximum quality, I am normally using isos in the 100-200 range for static subjects (often with supplementary lighting and/or compositing), and seldom go above 640-800. However, for casual use and very occasional professional use I do need to use higher isos.  To this end, I am wondering if their are any better alternatives to Lightroom, when the goal is maximum quality.

I use A7R2 and I move NR sliders in ACR and C1 (both) to all zeroes (for all luma/chroma) and I like that way better than with any non zero NR there... for gains <= nominal 1600 for sure.... my $0.02

Yahor Shumski

• My business
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:15:30 pm »

I use A7R2 and I move NR sliders in ACR and C1 (both) to all zeroes (for all luma/chroma) and I like that way better than with any non zero NR there... for gains <= nominal 1600 for sure.... my $0.02

David,
Please give a try to Topaz DeNoise plugin, maybe it's what you need. The result look superior to me, there are also more control options.
Often I use it with bigger reduction amount for jewelry retouching. It smooths the metal texture perfectly.
Adobe Certified Expert (Photoshop CC)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:09:25 pm »

I can't remember the last time I had to resort to a stand-alone noise program (like Noiseware that I have) in order to improve on LR. The last time I felt the need, I tried, did not get what I hoped for and returned to LR. I also prefer to leave some noise present, rather then obliterate the detail.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:02:28 pm »

If I need to do a more complex NR on an image than Lr handles well I use Google's Nik Define2.  It has some pretty nifty features for selective NR.
Regards,
Ron

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:14:17 pm »

Often I use it with bigger reduction amount for jewelry retouching. It smooths the metal texture perfectly.

I am not shooting any jewelry, but aren't you actually concerned not about the noise but about some metal surface imperfections - like minor scratches on a ring ? even the ring is fresh and not used I 'd assume it still not 100% ideal

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:00:42 am »

DxO is known for its excellent automated noise reduction algos.

If you are on Mac, then Iridient Developper may be the best for tuning detail retention while removing noise. It is btw also the best at sharpening IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yahor Shumski

• My business
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 05:59:58 am »

I am not shooting any jewelry, but aren't you actually concerned not about the noise but about some metal surface imperfections - like minor scratches on a ring ? even the ring is fresh and not used I 'd assume it still not 100% ideal

You are right. The plugin is able not only to remove noise but dust, surface imperfections, to blur reflections nicely.
Adobe Certified Expert (Photoshop CC)

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:44:51 pm »

For the type of work I do, I like Topaz DeNoise. It gives me better results than other filters/software. But it ultimately comes down to camera, ISO, file size, and subject matter. I don't think there is a one-size fits all solution.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 06:39:36 pm »

I just finished printing two 12x18 images done at 12,800 and 25,600 ISO (!). Only a photographer would notice any noise, after a careful examination, and even then hardly find it objectionable. Processed in Lightroom only, done with +20 and +40 luminance noise reduction. A testament to the incredible progress photography has made.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:22:10 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

howardm

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »

Very nice performance.  What camera/lens combo?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 08:18:09 pm »

Canon 6d, 70-200/4 @f/4 1/500s

howardm

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 07:24:34 am »

I recently restored a snapshot/scan of my wife during her 1980's Army days and it was in pretty bad shape.  After throwing ACR, DeNoise, DeFine at it, it was Noiseware that really worked best.  Just emphasizes that various packages have various strengths/weaknesses and you may have to try/use 1 or more.

BobDavid

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:13 pm »

My only real complaint about shooting mft exclusively, is that  the noise level starts getting especially noticeable at ISO 400 when I bring up the shadows in post. My rule of thumb is whatever I print has to look clean at a minimum of 25" X 18." Otherwise, to me, the file is worthless. I have discovered workarounds that sometimes help. Topaz Labs Denoise 5 is my goto PS plug-in. It does, in my opinion, handle noise reduction better than ACR and the noise reduction filter in PS6. Is it perfect? No. There is no substitute for shooting at base ISO with mft.

The EM-5 II produces clean ISO 800 files in multi-shot mode. The thing about Oly files shot at base ISO, is they are gorgeous, of course using good glass is a given. I've made some stunning 24" X 32" prints.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:27:30 pm by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:44 pm »

I just finished printing two 12x18 images done at 12,800 and 25,600 ISO (!). Only a photographer would notice any noise, after a careful examination, and even then hardly find it objectionable. Processed in Lightroom only, done with +20 and +40 luminance noise reduction. A testament to the incredible progress photography has made.

Nice job.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 05:42:08 pm »

Hi Slodoban ... great images!

I would be very interested to try a noise reduction technique on one of your images. Could you make a crop of one available?  I would need a tif or psd produced from Lightroom with noise reduction and sharpening off.  Maybe something like in the attachment.

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana
Pages: [1]   Go Up