Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf AFi  (Read 1494 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Leaf AFi
« on: December 12, 2015, 12:15:40 pm »

What would be some good choices for digital backs for the Leaf?
Mike

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
Re: Leaf AFi
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »

Hello,

I used the Leaf AFi-ii 7 for a very long time and it was excellent - I made superior very large exhibition prints from it. I traded it in for the Aptus 12. The files are heavier of course, but brilliant if you need the incredible resolution. I hope to continue using this system forever - there would be no objective reason to replace it (save for lack of parts). The camera is great, the lenses magnificent, the back unsurpassed in image quality. Maybe some of the newer Credo or PhaseOne backs are easier to use, I wouldn't know, but I can't imagine that they produce better results. The camera, if you didn't know it, is no longer made. Currently the only service center I know of is Paepke in Germany. Maybe there will be another soon ... ask Eric Hiss who would likely be the first to know. He is the best source of information for this system.
Neil

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:34:16 am »

I use personally the AFi-ii 12 primarily because of the revolving sensor. Leaf's design of the AFi-ii series (7, 10, 12) is just brilliant.  No other back had or has revolving sensor and articulating touch screen, or could display a histogram on the grip display.   The Hy6/AFi was designed as a 6x6 film and digital camera and the ergonomics make sense when you hold the camera always in the same position and rotate the back.  It's just so easy with the AFi since you can do it with your thumb while you are still looking through the viewfinder.  You see in the display which orientation it is in.  Never slows you down to go from portrait to landscape.   The newer Credo backs can still be turned but you have to release them and physically turn them. It's not like it takes that long but you do have to break flow.   There simply isn't anything else like the AFi-ii backs with rotating sensor - brilliant!  I am planning to keep my AFi-ii 12 for as long as I can mainly for that rotating sensor. 
But to the Credo's credit, its much faster start up, better on battery life, faster to zoom for focus checks etc.  I believe the Credo 60 has a very very good file as well. 

Sinar backs can also be mounted to the AFi bodies and Sinar did offer a rotating adapter plate. 

Rolleiflex USA

eyedear

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

How is the shot to shot speed. And is there hang up that occurs while you shooting during long sessions. I also here that the afi 12 eats batteries fast. How is the screen compared to let's say a canon 5d mark 2

Thanks all for comments

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:42:55 am »

The backs can shoot at roughly 1 frame a second, with the AFi-ii 7 a bit faster.  I've not run into a buffer problems in my shooting style with either the 7 or 12, but you can hit a buffer. The only time I've gotten there is by intentionally trying to test it, never during actually shooting, however YMMV.  Differences in memory cards (speed), and/or whether you are shooting tethered will probably affect this some.    The AFi-ii 12 is definitely hard on batteries, but the 7 gets much better battery life from my experience.  I just got a AFi-ii in my shop and I'll have to shoot with it some to see how it does with battery life, but my guess it will fall somewhere in between.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up