Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Print labs – color management (or not)  (Read 7966 times)

Peter_DL

Print labs – color management (or not)
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:48:00 am »

Following up some recent discussions I've checked the landscape of Print labs (w/ Fuji Frontier printer, etc.), mainly here in Europe, Germany, and what they have to offer in terms of color management rather than just asking for the image in sRGB.  Not sure if it is valid as a global picture, however:

there seems to be no single lab which would support a Convert-to-printer-profile by the customer. The labs which offer ICC printer profiles for download all insist on: "softproof but do not convert", mostly stating one Rendering Intent to be used for the softproof.

Some labs, even though offering ICC printer profiles, make confusing statements which would suggest that everything is somehow passed through sRGB at their end. Some other labs, probably more advanced, mention a specific software, PixM@tch which they use to convert the images from whatever RGB working space through CIELab into their printer profiles.

From what I found, only one lab: Fujifilm Fotoservice pro actually offers a color-managed ordering-software which allows to select the Rendering Intent. The tag is then transmitted together with the unaltered image file. The software also makes the printer profiles as such available so that it can be used in Photoshop.

For me, the questions are:
1.)  Why do all these labs insist on "softproof but do not convert" ?
Any hidden agenda ?

2.)  Is it worthwhile at all to bother oneself with this sort of color management ?
The last time when I checked out this path and compared the prints, some years ago actually, I did not find this approach to be overall worthwhile to pursue vs. just sending them the images in sRGB.

Comments are appreciated.

--

Simon Garrett

Re: Print labs – color management (or not)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 11:01:47 am »

there seems to be no single lab which would support a Convert-to-printer-profile by the customer. The labs which offer ICC printer profiles for download all insist on: "softproof but do not convert", mostly stating one Rendering Intent to be used for the softproof.

In the UK, there is at least one print lab (ProAm Imaging) that requires one to sent images converted to their printer colour space using a profile they supply. 

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:39:40 am »

Following up some recent discussions I've checked the landscape of Print labs (w/ Fuji Frontier printer, etc.), mainly here in Europe, Germany, and what they have to offer in terms of color management rather than just asking for the image in sRGB.  Not sure if it is valid as a global picture, however:

Some labs, even though offering ICC printer profiles, make confusing statements which would suggest that everything is somehow passed through sRGB at their end. Some other labs, probably more advanced, mention a specific software, PixM@tch which they use to convert the images from whatever RGB working space through CIELab into their printer profiles.

From what I found, only one lab: Fujifilm Fotoservice pro actually offers a color-managed ordering-software which allows to select the Rendering Intent. The tag is then transmitted together with the unaltered image file. The software also makes the printer profiles as such available so that it can be used in Photoshop.

Any hidden agenda ?

2.)  Is it worthwhile at all to bother oneself with this sort of color management ?
The last time when I checked out this path and compared the prints, some years ago actually, I did not find this approach to be overall worthwhile to pursue vs. just sending them the images in sRGB.

Comments are appreciated.

--

Peter,

In the USA a large number of photolabs have contracted with Dry Creek Photo to provide custom profiles for their printers and users can use convert to these profiles and upload the images to the lab for printing. The Dry Creek web site gives detailed instructions for using these profiles. I have used my local Costco for printing with their Fuji Frontier LP7700 printer on Fuji Crystal Archive paper and can share my experience.

Unfortunately, the color gamut for my local Costco's printer is smaller than sRGB in all but small areas of yellow and cyan as shown by these ColorthinkPro plots.

Wireframe = sRGB, solid color = Frontier

Red = sRGB gamut, multicolored = Frontier gamut

Therefore, using these custom profiles will not provide an expanded color gamut for one's prints. These plots contrast with those made by the color guru Andrew Rodney for another Frontier printer. In that case, using the printer profile would give an expanded gamut.

Andrew's Profile:

Nonetheless, using the custom profile for my local Costco does offer some advantages. One can resize the image to the native resolution of the printer using a known high quality resizing algorithm rather than relying on that of the printer driver and apply sharpening appropriate for the image. One can also use the profiles for soft proofing with the available rendering intents. Since the gamut of the printer is not that large, further tweaking of the colors in soft proofing may give better results than merely using a perceptual rendering intent.

However, for making large number of 4 by 6 inch prints for a photo album, the results from the above approach are imperceptibly different from merely submitting sRGB images.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:46:51 am by bjanes »

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 11:45:46 am »

In the UK, there is at least one print lab (ProAm Imaging) that requires one to sent images converted to their printer colour space using a profile they supply.
Another is DS Colour who provide profiles and suggest if soft proofing you may want to convert and save
http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/about/Technical_Support

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:08:37 pm »

Any hidden agenda ?
1. They want their customers to believe they implement a sound and full color management path, clearly they do not. They need to funnel data through the front end systems as fast as possible, some systems are old and fixed and allow no other options.
2. Probably not.
I've said this in the past, I'll say it again: I have zero issue with labs that, for whatever reason, demand their files in a fixed working space such as sRGB. Customers should just do so and move on, the labs do not implement a true and full ICC based color management system for their customers. I have a big issue with labs that demand sRGB then provide an output profile the customer can't fully use. Simple as that. Such labs want their customers to believe they are working in a color managed workflow but that's simply not the case. Why (to be blunt) lie to them? Make them provide sRGB data for output, don't confuse the issue with a profile that probably doesn't define the output conditions and be honest.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

earlybird

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:44:49 pm »

How long doe a printing appliance's profile remain valid? Years? A day? A few hours?

If a print service posts a printer profile online for soft proofing is it likely that it will really be the same profile used at the print facility on the morning that the print I have ordered is made?

I have read that some people recommend profiling a display monitor periodically and some people seem to do it frequently. Do diligent (see what I did there?) printing shops rely on a printer profile that was made months ago? Do print shops make new profiles for each new batch of ink or paper? Do print shops make a new profile every work shift?

Would a print shop have to post something like an *up-to-the-minute* profile to actually offer a complete color managed workflow? Are the many print shops that offer ICC profiles for *soft-proofing-only* just sort of offering a rough approximation of the printer profile that they will actually be using on the day that they print my order?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:51:02 pm »

How long doe a printing appliance's profile remain valid? Years? A day? A few hours?
Any of the above  ;D . It's all about process control. If the output device can conform to the profiles understanding of the process, the profile is valid.
If a print service posts a printer profile online for soft proofing is it likely that it will really be the same profile used at the print facility on the morning that the print I have ordered is made?
Can't answer that as it depends. One could test this easily (with the right equipment). One could send the same image to the lab over a period of time and examine it visually. Better, send a target of color patches and measure them, create a deltaE report using something like ColorThink Pro.
I have read that some people recommend profiling a display monitor periodically and some people seem to do it frequently.
Displays are not fully stable devices so it makes sense to calibrate then profile them regularly (once a month?). Better products provide trending which is comparing the measurements obtained over time and showing you how far the device changed. The same can be done with printers. In fact an awesome service for this task is Maxwell from Chromix (makers of ColorThink Pro).
Do diligent (see what I did there?) printing shops rely on a printer profile that was made months ago? Do print shops make new profiles for each new batch of ink or paper? Do print shops make a new profile every work shift?
Again, one could test this remotely and come up with the answers but it takes some time, some money and a desire to do so.
IF anyone wants to test this (pay for the output, send me the targets), I'd be happy to measure them and produce a report.

tho_mas

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 01:35:05 pm »

Print labs (w/ Fuji Frontier printer, etc.), mainly here in Europe, Germany (...)

there seems to be no single lab which would support a Convert-to-printer-profile by the customer.
I am printing in a lab on Fuji Frontier in Cologne, Germany, and they provide profiles and let me send my files converted to the printer profile. It requires the lab to manually turn off color management for my prints... but they are happy to do so...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 03:58:15 pm »

printers such as Noritsu's, Fuji Frontiers (which are made by Noritsu), and ZBE Chromira's have a calibration process performed daily or sometimes multiple times daily which adjusts the printers output to a calibrated state.  This process is accomplished by measuring various patches with a high end densitometer, and the result is very stable and consistent output, despite the normal day to day variations the chemical processes introduce.  I've compared final calibration prints made months apart, and the grey patches measure within 0.01 of each other, and visually there is no difference. So much like inkjet printers, the output of these printers is stable enough the profile will be valid until some major change occurs. In fact many labs use a profile made by the paper manufacturer, and not one they've made.  I've compared the Kodak Endura Premier for Chromira profile made by Kodak to the one I made and they are pretty much identical.  The Kodak one was made a few years ago when the new Endura paper was introduced.

As far as the process, the color management systems are designed into the printers software/firmware.  The economics of these devices including initial investment (my Chromira cost me about $150k) and maintenance as well as the low revenue per print means they have to produce large volumes of work.  There really are only two reasons these machines are still in widespread use, one is the low cost of making a print compared to inkjet, the other is the speed which prints can be made. But to make them viable they must produce thousands of prints daily, and any interruption to that process is costly.

Despite the limitations, the cost of prints is low enough compared to inkjet that many photographers including professionals find the output more than adequate for what they are doing.  Despite the lack of full color management control by the photographer, the output is pretty consistent and good quality. Most labs support AdobeRGB as well as sRGB now, so the main thing missing for advanced photographers is the ability to tag the rendering intent of the image.  The devices are of such limited gamut that perceptual pretty much always delivers good results and it's pretty rare that using relative offers an improvement. In the past five years I've had one case where an image looked weird and forcing a relative intent on it improved it.

There is another issue involved in this process and that's the submission software many labs use.  In the U.S. almost all the big labs (WHCC, mPix, Bay Photo, etc) as well as many of the smaller ones use a program called ROES for their customer to submit work.  It's pretty powerful, flexible, and very customizable allowing all kinds of products to be ordered and created by the customer, and the software on the lab end  does all the work in creating the file to be submitted to the printer.  But ROES has no color management capability, including allowing a relative/perceptual tag to be passed to the lab.

I print orders for thousands of different customers each year.  None have ever asked if they could have my profile so they could convert the image themselves.  Only a handful have ever asked if they could have the profile so they could soft proof. Most don't even have a clue how to soft proof, let alone the skill to do it well. While those that frequent this forum may have more knowledge and awareness and varying degrees of skill in applying color management in their workflow, they are not typical of the customers of these labs. So while certainly there are ways that a lab could provide some system to tag a rendering intent or allow customers to convert before submission, the cost of providing the software to automate it, or the cost of loosing production time with a manual process for most labs just isn't appealing, because there really isn't a demand for it.

I fully understand where some of you are coming from, including Andrew whose expertise in color management I greatly respect.  But most photographers who I provide services for that are very discerning and fully color management aware don't buy prints from these devices, they are more than happy to pay the higher price for a print from my Epson 11880 or 9900. I could provide a service to allow someone to convert and submit manually so they would have more control , but then why would anyone buy them if they are similar price as a high quality inkjet print?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:10:19 pm by Wayne Fox »

Stephen Ray

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

Wayne's comments are spot-on and real-world.

The only thing I might add which may help some understanding, please know that most of this technology was designed roughly 20 years ago and before the prevalence of ICC profiles. The basic media and chemistry LONG before that and this technology still works very well today.

There are certainly some Frontiers in the Frontier graveyard but there are many more Epsons in the Epson graveyard.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 05:52:42 pm »

The only thing I might add which may help some understanding, please know that most of this technology was designed roughly 20 years ago and before the prevalence of ICC profiles. The basic media and chemistry LONG before that and this technology still works very well today.
Yet another reason why labs that supply output profiles for soft proofing only are to be dismissed. Just send sRGB or Adobe RGB and forget about ICC color management.

Peter_DL

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

Great comments, many thanks!
Actually I'm in need to reorient myself on this subject since my Epson printer broke down some time ago, and in the meantime the Print lab I used also closed. Too bad.

Let me pick out one detail here where my concerns about Print lab color management start:

... Most labs support AdobeRGB as well as sRGB now, so the main thing missing for advanced photographers is the ability to tag the rendering intent of the image.  The devices are of such limited gamut that perceptual pretty much always delivers good results and it's pretty rare that using relative offers an improvement. In the past five years I've had one case where an image looked weird and forcing a relative intent on it improved it.

Wayne, - I appreciate the pointer regarding the option to order high quality inkjet prints (I will definitively explore this), however, in general and in particular with ordinary Print lab prints my understanding would have been that:

The larger the potential input gamut and working space, the more control is needed to render and to convert an image into such tiny print gamut. Actually I would not have expected that Perceptual is per se preferred vs RelCol. Are you referring to "Perceptual" like it can be used with printer profiles in Photoshop, or, is it a specific printer/software setting ?

When a lab just wants sRGB, when they run their Fuji Frontier in so-called sRGB mode, the whole gamut mapping stays somewhat transparent and understandable (the printer part was explained here), and we can in some way / in parts adjust to it. For example by means of a printer profile like the ones offered by Dry Creek Photo – although there is only limited added value in doing so, right as Bill (bjanes) explains above.

The basic tradeoff with "sRGB mode printing" is that the printer's de facto printed gamut (which still deviates somewhat from sRGB, just to mention it) is purposely clipped vs. PD mode printing, particularly in the green/cyan corner, and therefore it misses some of the printer's full potential, which of course would be nice to access (again illustrated here).

But then, as soon as a lab mentions to support Adobe RGB, and maybe RGB working spaces in general, it leaves a big question mark about their gamut mapping  – which at the end can only be resolved by taking over full "convert-to control", as I believe.

Please just let me know, if/where my thinking is wrong.

--

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 06:22:12 pm »

Yet another reason why labs that supply output profiles for soft proofing only are to be dismissed. Just send sRGB or Adobe RGB and forget about ICC color management.

If I could just add without bringing on the Inquisition.. the rare exception would be those that do N channel printing and profiling.. Rolands (arguably few still in use for fine art color photo work) , many Epsons, HPs, and Canons all have that capability when driven by some RIPs. N channel profiles do not preview in Adobe apps.. you can convert to them, and briefly have a preview in that dialog box, but after conversion they are not accurate on the monitor, nor are the usable in soft proof.

Doug Gray

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 04:38:30 pm »

Proofing is the one good reason why print facilities that require images in sRGB can provide profiles useful to clients.

You can use their profiles to print a few proofs on your own profiled inkjet. This lets you know if their printing process is color managed adequately. Without a profile there is no way at all, other than purely subjectively, to validate their process.

And you can see what the print you would buy will look like before spending money on them.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 06:08:29 pm »

You can use their profiles to print a few proofs on your own profiled inkjet.
ONLY if that profile reflects the actual print output and that's highly questionable. You might be able see what the print you would buy may look like before spending money on them.
IF you can cross render to our own inkjet printer you own, it's also questionable why you'd be sending them files for output. But that's a different story.

Doug Gray

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

ONLY if that profile reflects the actual print output and that's highly questionable. You might be able see what the print you would buy may look like before spending money on them.
IF you can cross render to our own inkjet printer you own, it's also questionable why you'd be sending them files for output. But that's a different story.
Well, there is always an issue with printers about how accurate their profiles are. I wouldn't trust, without verifying, any of them except maybe DryCreek. There's no particular reason sRGB only printers should have worse profiles than anyone else other than perhaps, the fact that they only take sRGB images is a possible indication they pay less attention to their process control and profile quality. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.

As for cross rendering (making a hard proof), it is a good way to check if an sRGB vendor's profile is consistent with their claims. Inkjet printing is relatively slow and expensive for getting a lot of pics printed with little hassle. For me, the only reason to cross render is to compare against the printer's product. Comparing their printed product with one or two cross rendered pics should be sufficient to validate their process.

Given that 20 to 25% of sRGB colors are outside the gamuts of a good printer, a reasonably decent profile could help people that only work in sRGB space avoid those colors.

For instance my printer can't print the sRGB color that has a Lab value of (33, 68, -106). It's a valid color in sRGB but the profile turns it into Lab (29, 28,-64), which is quite a bit off. Still, the Lab value of (33, 68, -106) is within the theoretical MacAdam limits of reflective media but barely.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 07:19:51 pm »

Well, there is always an issue with printers about how accurate their profiles are.
It's not the profile accuracy I'm referring to. It's the process control and how well the printer behaves with respect to the profile. A profile is after all, a fingerprint of some device behavior. Does the device behave as the original profile once predicted?
There's no particular reason sRGB only printers should have worse profiles than anyone else other than perhaps, the fact that they only take sRGB images is a possible indication they pay less attention to their process control and profile quality.
There's no such thing as an sRGB printer. There are printers who expect sRGB for conversion to some output color space which isn't sRGB or even like it.
As for cross rendering (making a hard proof), it is a good way to check if an sRGB vendor's profile is consistent with their claims.
Yup and I've volunteered to do this. Pretty easy: send a target of patches to the lab. Measure it, hopefully many over the course of days/weeks/months. Build a dE of the measured data to see how well the data trends. Then compare that to what the profile predicts. You get two useful pieces of data. First you find out how well the process control is over time. If it's all over the place, then the profile supplied isn't useful or usable. IF the process is sound, now how well does the output reflect what the profile would produce?
IF either or both fail the test, cross rendering is an utter waste of time. As would be any color managed workflow.

Doug Gray

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »

It's not the profile accuracy I'm referring to. It's the process control and how well the printer behaves with respect to the profile. A profile is after all, a fingerprint of some device behavior. Does the device behave as the original profile once predicted?
Absolutely! A profile, printer, and it's process control consistency are intimately linked. It's critical that printers have good process control and a profile tells you nothing about the process control. Something to watch out for when outsourcing. Even DryCreek's profiles are snapshots. Need to do it yourself and keep it up to date for the best results.

There's no such thing as an sRGB printer. There are printers who expect sRGB for conversion to some output color space which isn't sRGB or even like it.

Yep, probably a good idea for you to keep hammering that point. I'm sloppy enough to sometimes call a printer that requires sRGB files an sRGB printer.  It's not. It's quite impossible actually since there are sRGB colors that fall outside of the MacAdam limits and cannot be printed.  Ever.  So an sRGB printer can't even exist theoretically. It's only even theoretically possible with emissive devices.

Yup and I've volunteered to do this. Pretty easy: send a target of patches to the lab. Measure it, hopefully many over the course of days/weeks/months. Build a dE of the measured data to see how well the data trends. Then compare that to what the profile predicts. You get two useful pieces of data. First you find out how well the process control is over time. If it's all over the place, then the profile supplied isn't useful or usable. IF the process is sound, now how well does the output reflect what the profile would produce?
IF either or both fail the test, cross rendering is an utter waste of time. As would be any color managed workflow.
The cross rendering actually was successful. It tells you to stop using that printer and stop pretending that using their supplied profile is good color management. It's a QA feature.

Peter_DL

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 03:09:51 pm »

Peter,

In the USA a large number of photolabs have contracted with Dry Creek Photo to provide custom profiles for their printers and users can use convert to these profiles and upload the images to the lab for printing. The Dry Creek web site gives detailed instructions for using these profiles. I have used my local Costco for printing with their Fuji Frontier LP7700 printer on Fuji Crystal Archive paper and can share my experience.

Unfortunately, the color gamut for my local Costco's printer is smaller than sRGB in all but small areas of yellow and cyan as shown by these ColorthinkPro plots.

Wireframe = sRGB, solid color = Frontier
https://bjanes.smugmug.com/Photography/Costco-Frontier/i-L3n77Ck/0/O/Costco_sRGB_Glossy.png

Red = sRGB gamut, multicolored = Frontier gamut
https://bjanes.smugmug.com/Photography/Costco-Frontier/i-D4z5G5n/0/O/sRGBvsFrontierCostcoGlsy.png

Therefore, using these custom profiles will not provide an expanded color gamut for one's prints. These plots contrast with those made by the color guru Andrew Rodney for another Frontier printer. In that case, using the printer profile would give an expanded gamut.

Andrew's Profile:
https://bjanes.smugmug.com/Photography/Costco-Frontier/i-8K4HVMD/0/O/sRGBvsFrontierDD.png

Bill,

The gamut plot below compares the Fuji-generic profiles for the Frontier printer in so-called sRGB-mode vs. PD-mode. The sRGB-mode gamut is somewhat smaller for green/cyan colors. The difference is quite noticeable with Czornyj's test image. The sRGB-mode gamut is somewhat clipped, not as a direct consequence of the limited input space: sRGB, in sRGB-mode the printer ignores embedded profiles anyway, it is simply that the printer does not use its full potential when it is set to sRGB-mode.

The two printermodes: sRGB-mode and PD-mode, may correspond to the difference shown in your post between the Dry Creek Photo Costco profile and the gamut plot from Andrew for another Frontier printer. My understanding from the Dry Creek Photo website is that their profiles refer to the sRGB-mode, which is why "convert-to" works (the embedded profile is ignored, no ICC-type conversion by the printer).

Best regards, Peter

Peter_DL

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »

Proofing is the one good reason why print facilities that require images in sRGB can provide profiles useful to clients.
... There's no particular reason sRGB only printers should have worse profiles than anyone else other than perhaps, the fact that they only take sRGB images is a possible indication they pay less attention to their process control and profile quality.

Yes, aside from the print gamut size and the stability / validity of the profile over the time, the quality of the profile regarding the implementation of the rendering intents is certainly a key point, particularly when intention is to convert into it directly from a large gamut working space
… as illustrated recently here (as a negative example).

It could be just a coincidence, or not, however I've found better profiles with labs which do not insist on sRGB, and which allow RGB working spaces in general. The printer profiles are larger in gamut size (-> green/cyan) and do a better job in the rendering of out-of-gamut colors … at least from what I've found so far, there is probably no general rule here as well.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up