Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemühle Photo Pearl  (Read 2254 times)

BobDavid

Hahnemühle Photo Pearl
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:50:27 pm »

I recently purchased a box of Hahnemühle Photo Pearl RC. Anyone else tried it? I like it a lot more than Epson Ultra Premium Luster.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:13:54 pm by BobDavid »

TylerB

• my photography
Re: Hahnemühle Photo Pearl
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:14:06 am »

quite a bit, great paper

EDIT! my apologies, without looking closely I assumed this was Photo Rag Pearl.. so ignore my reply
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:25:38 pm by TylerB »

howardm

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:15:50 am »

Not sure of the product, they have a alpha FA Pearl at 285 and a cotton Photo Rag Pearl at 320 but nothing w/ the specs you state.

I've use the FA and really like it.

rdonson

Regards,
Ron

howardm

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:08:45 pm »

Ah, I see now.  This (or what Ron pointed to) is the RC version that is super bright white.  Not from the 'Digital Fine Art' collection where I was looking.  I'd probably get the non-PE either alpha or cotton version before the PE version.

MHMG

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 05:06:21 pm »

Ah, I see now.  This (or what Ron pointed to) is the RC version that is super bright white.  Not from the 'Digital Fine Art' collection where I was looking.  I'd probably get the non-PE either alpha or cotton version before the PE version.

Yes, this Photo Pearl offering from Hahnemuhle is  resin coated (RC) paper, and as such more than likely a rebranded product produced entirely elsewhere but distributed by Hahnemuhle.  I doubt Hahnemuhle even makes the paper core sandwiched between the polyethylene layers (those problematic PE-TiO2-OBA layers are the Hallmark of all RC photo media).

The HN Fine Art Pearl has a wood pulp base sheet of high quality but also plenty of OBAs that burn out quickly causing image highlights and midtones to shift more yellow over time.

The HN Photo Rag Pearl has a full cotton base sheet and no OBAs in the base or coatings. It's the real deal for those who want truly long lasting prints.

Too bad Hahnemuhle and numerous other vendors seem to pick such close sounding names for products in their lineup that are indeed quite different in physical and chemical properties.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:09:46 pm by MHMG »

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »

The photo pearl polyethylene-coated paper images quite nice. I like it a lot more than Epson Ultra Premium Luster Photo Paper.  I've also tried the photo rag pearl (cotton). The rag pearl is nice for black and white, but I prefer the Photo Rag Baryta for color. Anybody know if the longevity of the resin-coated Hahnemuhle paper is comparable to Epson RC?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:17:07 pm by BobDavid »

MHMG

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:40:41 pm »

... Anybody know if the longevity of the resin-coated Hahnemuhle paper is comparable to Epson RC?

It hasn't been tested AFAIK, but given that Epson RC photo glossy, semigloss, and luster papers have significant light induced post exposure yellowing issues, it's unlikely that the Hahnemuhle product is any worse.

One should treat all RC photo media as only moderate at best in terms of long term image stability. As such, the latest high performing pigmented ink sets require media that perform significantly better over the long term aging cycle. Modern RC inkjet Photo media just aren't up to the same level of permanence as the very best pigmented ink sets. One needs to move to non RC media to get a better overall match.

best,
Mark

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 09:45:33 pm »

It hasn't been tested AFAIK, but given that Epson RC photo glossy, semigloss, and luster papers have significant light induced post exposure yellowing issues, it's unlikely that the Hahnemuhle product is any worse.

One should treat all RC photo media as only moderate at best in terms of long term image stability. As such, the latest high performing pigmented ink sets require media that perform significantly better over the long term aging cycle. Modern RC inkjet Photo media just aren't up to the same level of permanence as the very best pigmented ink sets. One needs to move to non RC media to get a better overall match.

best,
Mark
Your redelivery has been scheduled

Very true. It's great for portfolios and such.

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 09:51:26 pm »

Your redelivery has been scheduled

Very true. It's great for portfolios and such.

?????

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:48 am »

"Your redelivery has been scheduled" is a mistake. I pasted it in by accident. Sorry for the confusion.

Pages: [1]   Go Up