Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB Newbie needs help from experienced members  (Read 7577 times)

Henry Goh

MFDB Newbie needs help from experienced members
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:05:34 pm »

This place is getting nicer everyday.  More old names are coming over so we need to get some contents going to make it even better.  May I be so brave as to get some discussion going?

I am a complete newbie to MF backs although I have shot 4 x 5 and Hasselblads for a long time and Nikon DSLRs for 3 years.  My question to Gurus here is what is the best and most economical way to get into MFDB from this point on?  Of course several years back the entry point must have been different but considering current products as well as decent used products available, what would your advice be?

I shoot mostly portraits and some catalog products in the studio, most of the time, if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Henry

willconnor

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:05:02 pm »

This place is getting nicer everyday.  More old names are coming over so we need to get some contents going to make it even better.  May I be so brave as to get some discussion going?

I am a complete newbie to MF backs although I have shot 4 x 5 and Hasselblads for a long time and Nikon DSLRs for 3 years.  My question to Gurus here is what is the best and most economical way to get into MFDB from this point on?  Of course several years back the entry point must have been different but considering current products as well as decent used products available, what would your advice be?

I shoot mostly portraits and some catalog products in the studio, most of the time, if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry,  You'll save a lot if you can find a used back on ebay or wherever.  The retail value on these backs drops a lot within a  couple of years after they first come out.

Henry Goh

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »

Henry,  You'll save a lot if you can find a used back on ebay or wherever.  The retail value on these backs drops a lot within a  couple of years after they first come out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.  One thing that I notice about used units, they mention "XXXX actuations" but do MFDB have shutters like DSLRs? Does the number of activations matter?

Henry

dazzajl

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:52:48 pm »

but do MFDB have shutters like DSLRs? Does the number of activations matter?

No and probably no again.

There are no moving parts to worry about so mechanical failure is not an issue, If you do buy a used back and it does go wrong though, I'd have thought that you'll be looking at a hefty repair bill and a long lead time on the work too.

If you find something your interested in and it's not still covered by the manufacturer I would talk to them and see if some kind of purchasse cover is available, preferably including a loan back too.

Henry Goh

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »

No and probably no again.

There are no moving parts to worry about so mechanical failure is not an issue, If you do buy a used back and it does go wrong though, I'd have thought that you'll be looking at a hefty repair bill and a long lead time on the work too.

If you find something your interested in and it's not still covered by the manufacturer I would talk to them and see if some kind of purchasse cover is available, preferably including a loan back too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very good suggestions.  Thanks.

Henry Goh

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 06:27:26 pm »

I suppose my next question would be: are MFDB vulnerable to failures?  What are the types of failures one might expect to see with different brands?  What would one look out for in a used unit?

Again, TIA.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:28:36 pm by Henry Goh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up