Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Prints: Inkaid, Golden Dig Grounds, Image Transfers  (Read 6007 times)

ThirstyDursty

Alternative Prints: Inkaid, Golden Dig Grounds, Image Transfers
« on: December 11, 2015, 01:11:41 am »

I'm looking to start playing with some alternative print process with my P800

Firstly...I don't want to wreck my printer!

Secondly. Just interested in who has used

1) Inkaid
2) Golden Digital Grounds

Very interested in printing to glass and aluminum, tin foil, cheese cloth etc.

But a little worried about jamming random stuff in my printer...I can only imagine a shredded sheet of al-foil in my printer.

3) any one use Alum-jet or other pre-coated aluminum sheets?

4) probably most safe is transfer films and Bonny's Hacking the Digital Print techniques...anyone have experience with these? Or alternatives? I've read about just printing to wax paper and I've seen iron transfers for wood and metal.

Sorry for scattered post...but just trying to decide where and how to start down this path.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Alternative Prints: Inkaid, Golden Dig Grounds, Image Transfers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:56:38 am »

Although out of date my website blog has quite bit of alternative printing information.
Booksmart Studio's pre-coated metal is a good place to start. Somewhat expensive for the larger
 sheets but they do have an 8x10 sample pack.
 All of their sheets are very thin but you must remember to set your platen to widest.
 A micrometer is a must purchase.
You want to know the thickness of everything you stick in your printer.
 In our alternative printing workshop we use Inkaid on copper, aluminum,stainless steel and roof flashing.
You can get some pretty nice results.
Bonnie Lotka's book and dvd is the best. Film transfer to wood is kind of cool.
You can purchase inkjet transfer paper (Pigment ink) from Conde Systems and do iron on transfers to clothing.
Works better with a heat press but if you only have an iron that works too.
All of these processes have pretty much fallen by the wayside the last 5 years with the popularity of dye sub metal printing.
High resolution, hi gloss, people love them and they sell.
 Requires a heat press and a dye sub printer and your materials but thats it.
Check out Bonnies YouTube videos.
Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:35:12 pm by Dan Berg »

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:48:39 pm »

I use Golden Digital Grounds. Its winter so I don't think they ship it for freezing issues, but the best price I've found with free shipping on a gallon is:

http://www.artsupply.com/Golden-Digital-Grounds_c_516.html

Mainly on art paper, I find the Golden Digital to give pretty much the expected color an saturation. I have used the clear gloss and the matte white. I wish the had a matte clear.

Haven't used the Inkaid.

I've used Bonny's Supersauce with out much success. I have her books and follow here on facebook. We had a lot of trouble transferring completely to metal etc.

The one area I want to get into is printing on wood veneer. I'd like to print a series of 40x40" on some maple veneer, then mounting to some 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood.

I guess you could just pay and have them UV printed, But I'd like to be able to make my own pieces.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »

Although out of date my website blog has quite bit of alternative printing information.
 In our alternative printing workshop we use Inkaid on copper, aluminum,stainless steel and roof flashing.

Wow. These workshops seem like what I need.

Try a bunch of stuff in a planned safe environment. Too bad I'm in Australia, have not seen anything like that here.

I've found that my traditional photography sells less then, when I make imperfect manual process/mixed media pieces.

So my idea is to make more hand made pieces with my photography and digital art providing the base imagery (because my drawing and painting skill are not nearly as developed as my photography skills)...so not super concerned with matching dye sub
Pages: [1]   Go Up